Wadia's digital iTransport (digital out from the iPod)

deepak

That same press release was posted verbatim on headfi

Posted verbatim eh? I suppose I could have changed a number or letter, but then the link wouldn't work, would it? ::)

Anyways, was it posted here?

I just read the thread here and it seems like you guys are under a few misconceptions on how the iTransport works. Thought this link might be helpful to some.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted verbatim eh? I suppose I could have changed a number or letter, but then the link wouldn't work, would it? ::)

Anyways, was it posted here?

I just read the thread here and it seems like you guys are under a few misconceptions on how the iTransport works. Thought this link might be helpful to some.

Not the link, the text. I think it was what jude posted, but the complete text was definitely in one of the threads. It is a cool device tho. I'd be tempted once they come out with the terapod.

Oh, they quoted the text and posted it in the head-fi thread?

I got the Stereophile link from that forum that Postjack linked to earlier.

Apple is really kicking ass in the audiophile sector lately with the Duet and the iTransport. I still prefer spinning CDs, but I can definately see the value of having 160GB of lossless music on an iPod that can be your portable and home source [or at least one of your home sources].

Id be interested in seeing internal pics. Would be cool if they made a linear PSU for the iPod. :P

I am going to have to disagree with your positioning of the mac mini. It comes bundled with ilife 08 made specifically to handle home entertainment from apples mac mini page

"Live the digital life in stylish simplicity ? up to 39% faster.1 Just 6.5 inches square and 2 inches small, Mac mini lets you have more fun with your music, photos, and movies, more quickly and more easily. Enjoy them up close or far away with the included Apple Remote. The most affordable way to Intel Core 2 Duo, iLife ?08, and Front Row starts at $599." so Apple highlights music, movies, photos and a remote to me that is a home media server? YMMV

The Mac Mini clearly is marketed as a home entertainment center by Apple as Wadia is doing with this device based upon my reading of the pdf on their site.

I hate to quibble, but that's the same promotional/marketing stuff Apple focuses on with all of their consumer computers...iLife, the photos, front row, movies, personal website creation...etc. It's all a part of their digital lifestyle campaign that started back with the original iMac in the late 90's. The Mac mini, while it makes a great little media server, was brought into the lineup to replace the old eMac which was their budget machine. This is the same thing...designed to help people switch to mac effortlessly by getting rid of their old PC, keeping the keyboard and monitor and just swapping out the CPU with the Mac mini.

The Wadia iTransport is the first product announced that will pull a digital audio signal off the iPod through use of an authentication chip that communicates with the iPod and tells the iPod that it is OK to send the raw digital data through (prolly i2S or something like that). It does this for only $350 and via no modification of the iPod. I'd say that's pretty exciting...not only that, but lots of people have iPod....how many million have they sold? tens of millions? While the Mac mini may be the more sensible choice for those people looking to base a their home theater/stereo around, I can see this as being a very successful product for those people who already have a home theater setup via traditional components and want to add their iPod to the mix.

Sorry to be crass about it, I didn't mean to be rude, but sometimes these things get panned before anyone has all the facts and details. I'd also like to think that Wadia has done some market research to see if this would be a financially viable product to bring to market.

Nothing gets my blood boiling faster than comments about new products that pan the product before it's even gotten off the ground; somehow I doubt the causal user has the access to broad market data that would allow them them the insight to determine whether something will be successful. I got carried away and it's my hang-up...again, my apologies.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/127

Here's a link to more about that Resolution Audio device...apparently they had it hooked up to a Mac mini and used an iPod Touch as the remote via some software called Signal.

Apparently a Mac mini makes a good media server. Who knew? :popcorn:

So based on what i read about signal (http://www.alloysoft.com/), the RA device is an airport express in a big box :).

I would appear so, looking at the poor pics from the back of the unit, it doesn't have a DAC built in, just looks like a wireless receiver. You can't get a SPDIF signal from an Airport express though, just optical and analog. Can you get a USB signal from it?