Wadia's digital iTransport (digital out from the iPod)

deepak

I would appear so, looking at the poor pics from the back of the unit, it doesn't have a DAC built in, just looks like a wireless receiver. You can't get a SPDIF signal from an Airport express though, just optical and analog. Can you get a USB signal from it?

The airport express has a PCM2705 in it. So whatever is going on inside the airport express is going to the PCM2705 the same way USB audio would from any computer, so I see no reason you couldn't swap what's in the airport express with any driverless USB DAC. You could also tap into the SPDIF output of the PCM2705 (thats what the optical output is).

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The airport express has a PCM2705 in it. So whatever is going on inside the airport express is going to the PCM2705 the same way USB audio would from any computer, so I see no reason you couldn't swap what's in the airport express with any driverless USB DAC. You could also tap into the SPDIF output of the PCM2705 (thats what the optical output is).

Cool, I suppose you could disable the analog output and reroute the SPDIF signal to the 1/8" jack and then just fashion a cable to from the Airport Express to a DAC.

Cool, I suppose you could disable the analog output and reroute the SPDIF signal to the 1/8" jack and then just fashion a cable to from the Airport Express to a DAC.

Or just take the optical out to the dac :)

[me=grawk]looks at his airport with the optical cable connected to the minidac.[/me]

to get back on topic, why not get a iriver ihp-1x0 and upgrade the hard drive. Unless you want video :P

Because the iRiver iHP-1x0 isn't a very good transport? Comparing the digital output of my H140 (ALAC) to the SlimX, the SlimX spinning the same song on CD sounds much better. Hopefully, the iPod will be a better transport.

Because the iRiver iHP-1x0 isn't a very good transport? Comparing the digital output of my H140 (ALAC) to the SlimX, the SlimX spinning the same song on CD sounds much better. Hopefully, the iPod will be a better transport.

ahh, didnt know that the iriver sucked as a transport :P I dont have that much to compare with :)

I use it to split the signal between the lite dac and the entech. I cant really tell a big difference with or without the DTI :P

Tin-ears FTW!!!

Because jittar levels are inaudible? You aren't supposed to tell the difference. You are supposed to have it in the chain and just feel good about yourself.

• 3 months later...