Wadia's digital iTransport (digital out from the iPod)

deepak

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just thinking out loud without doing any actual research, doesn't the iPod dock access the internal data from the iPod digitally? Why couldn't they just mimic what it does?

Well, I guess that is what Steve Hoffman suggested. Using the ipod as a mass storage device, and interfacing with it that way.

I don't know, looks like it's good for a work source. I'd love to get better sound out of my iPod and run it to an OPUS DAC/CKKIII balanced amp combo and just rock out with the HD600 at work. If it features a SPDIF out on the back I'm all over it. Does it have an internal DAC or just offers a digital out?

yes you get the value of having such a device, unlike the dipshits who are comparing it to computer cost and such.

I wish this was Available back when i was building my work setup. i had to load my library in a external hard drive and plug it in my laptop. problem was when i loaded new songs at the library at home..then i would have to take the external back home and update it. I tried the loading the ipod in on the laptop's itunes and got it to work a few ways but it was a headache. mind you i was doing all this shit while my ipod was sitting outside in the car..

i got so fed up with this way i brought my Dac1 and studio monitors back home to use on the home computer.

of course in reality you are paying $350 for just an adapter really, but at least its something and can make life so much easier.

johnny nums said on the hf thread "The item is probably manufactured off shore in China in order to meet this price point so they probably have made a lot of them."

my question is...so is the i-Pod...and almost every part inside your amp and well...everything else..so what..

the sheer stupidity in the comments from this product is amazing. the best is the people that compare it to throwing a digi out on your computer at home. Why would you even think of this product for you home?

what for another room? that's easy..go squeeze box or something like that. why would you want to use an ipod at home where not only is your main itunes library located but..but all of your cd's and other music is also?

"for the price of an ipod and this you can get this and this"...ummm You already have the ipod right? so..whats your point with this?

I really hope this and other products like it bring the competition and eventually bring the cost down for such a device.

if this was available at the beginning of last summer I would of praised Wadia's name all over for saving me the hassle using the external hard drive. don't get me started on the first external hard drive i bought and had to return to BB...yet they fought and fought with me until i got the regional manager on the phone..

"we don't accept returns on defective Hard Drives.." WHAT????? :rant:

hell thinking about that shit to get a decent setup at work using the i-Tunes/i-Pod I experienced back then I would of probably paid Double for the silly adapter.

"I thought it was impossible to bypass the iPod's DAC. "So did we," said Wadia president John W. Schaffer. "Then we discovered the little-known fact that Apple had a process called 'authentication' that allowed mobile electronics companies to bypass the iPod's internal DAC."

"Authentication" refers to Apple's authentication chip, which essentially tells the iPod that it's okay to output raw digital audio or video data to the chip-enhanced component. The authentication chips are only available in Apple products or from products made by Apple-licensed third-party developers. After Wadia first began developing what became the iTransport, Apple opened up the authentication program to more third-party vendors. The iTransport may be the first audio product of its kind, but it probably won't be the last. But however you slice it, being firstest is a great coup."

Quirks:

"Supported models:

Nano G1: Does not support video and can only output digital audio in the "extended interface" mode. Translation: The iPod click wheel interface is not available while the Nano attached to the iTransport using digital audio out.

Nano G2: Does not support video. However, it does output digital audio without the click wheel interface being disabled.

Nano G3: Supports component video out and will allow digital audio out while still allowing the iPod click wheel interface to function normally.

iPod Video: Supports S-video out (no component video). It only outputs digital audio in its "extended interface" mode. The iPod click wheel interface is not available while the player is attached to the iTransport and using digital audio out.

Supports component video out and enables digital audio out while still allowing the iPod click wheel interface to function normally.

iPod Touch: Supports component video out and enables digital audio out while still allowing the iPod click wheel interface to function normally.

iPhone:Supports component video out and enables digital audio out while still allowing the iPod click wheel interface to function normally. However, when an iPhone is docked in the iTransport, it will state that the accessory is not designed for the iPhone and will query whether or not the user wants to switch into "airplane mode" (essentially switching off the cell phone). Since the iTransport does work with the iPhone in either mode, either answer is appropriate."

yes you get the value of having such a device, unlike the dipshits who are comparing it to computer cost and such.

of course in reality you are paying $350 for just an adapter really, but at least its something and can make life so much easier.

johnny nums said on the hf thread "The item is probably manufactured off shore in China in order to meet this price point so they probably have made a lot of them."

my question is...so is the i-Pod...and almost every part inside your amp and well...everything else..so what..

the sheer stupidity in the comments from this product is amazing. the best is the people that compare it to throwing a digi out on your computer at home. Why would you even think of this product for you home?

what for another room? that's easy..go squeeze box or something like that. why would you want to use an ipod at home where not only is your main itunes library located but..but all of your cd's and other music is also?

"for the price of an ipod and this you can get this and this"...ummm You already have the ipod right? so..whats your point with this?

I really hope this and other products like it bring the competition and eventually bring the cost down for such a device.

Billy as usual your post confuses me as this product is meant for HOME ENTERTAINMENT HELLO isn't Wadia a home audio company, if not the home where is it meant for if you say the office I am going to crap myself laughing as the press release talked about how easily it fits on a racj space meant for a HOME

the comment about China was in reference to people wondering how a company that can't make a remote for less than $200 can make this for $349. It was not a knock on potential sound quality.

In closing Billy Wadia is a HOME AUDIO COMPANY and the market for a mass market price point item would be the home. Billy you may not be aware of this as an independent business person but most people in the working world work of a cube dude so the office market is really small. Seriously just for a minute think about it most everybody has a home stereo as opposed to the extreme few that have office stereo rigs. Yes the numbers are higher here duh because we are a site made of of audio freaks that do shit the average person would never do.

The comments about options are not stupid have a point rather than by this years audio equivalent of a furbie why not buy something that has actual value. I am a huge advocate of the mac mini as an A/V hub for Home Entertainment and fully believe a mini is vastly superior and flexible to this adaptor.

I was really inclined to just ignore your post but lust like a good car crash I couldn't just walk away

hell thinking about that shit to get a decent setup at work using the i-Tunes/i-Pod I experienced back then I would of probably paid Double for the silly adapter.

Mac Mini/External Drive (mine is doing just fine)/DAC/iTunes is so simple, I think you could even figure it out. It is almost plug and play. I don't get it, dac or no dac, this thing has no appeal to me either as a home or office source. If it has a dac, how good can it be at this price point, even if manufactured in China.

Mac Mini/External Drive (mine is doing just fine)/DAC/iTunes is so simple, I think you could even figure it out. It is almost plug and play. I don't get it, dac or no dac, this thing has no appeal to me either as a home or office source. If it has a dac, how good can it be at this price point, even if manufactured in China.

I can see the value of this as an office item...I don't really want to go through the trouble of setting up another computer in my office and then trying to keep the tunes in my office library up to date with the stuff on my home computer...I don't want to have to transport new CDs back and forth to work just to put them on my office computer....I take my iPod with me to work already...BAM, now I just use this dock and I've got a SPIDF out from my iPod.

I seem to recall that a lot of people have wanted something like this for a long time. There are whole threads about how people wish they could get a digital out from their iPod, and here it is. It has apparently been there just blocked via Apple's authentication chip (as mentioned in an earlier post in this thread). It might not be long before we see a lineout dock that offers SPDIF or USB output as well... which really excites me. I see the video out as not necessary for my needs, but I suspect Wadia would get more crap for NOT including video output capabilities.

Billy as usual your post confuses me as this product is meant for HOME ENTERTAINMENT HELLO isn't Wadia a home audio company, if not the home where is it meant for if you say the office I am going to crap myself laughing as the press release talked about how easily it fits on a racj space meant for a HOME

the comment about China was in reference to people wondering how a company that can't make a remote for less than $200 can make this for $349. It was not a knock on potential sound quality.

In closing Billy Wadia is a HOME AUDIO COMPANY and the market for a mass market price point item would be the home. Billy you may not be aware of this as an independent business person but most people in the working world work of a cube dude so the office market is really small. Seriously just for a minute think about it most everybody has a home stereo as opposed to the extreme few that have office stereo rigs. Yes the numbers are higher here duh because we are a site made of of audio freaks that do shit the average person would never do.

The comments about options are not stupid have a point rather than by this years audio equivalent of a furbie why not buy something that has actual value. I am a huge advocate of the mac mini as an A/V hub for Home Entertainment and fully believe a mini is vastly superior and flexible to this adaptor.

I was really inclined to just ignore your post but lust like a good car crash I couldn't just walk away

You're kidding right... I mean picking on Billy is practically a hobby here so I get that, but claiming that Wadia only intends this for home use and that it's laughable that anyone would even dream of using it in some other capacity seems, well stupid. I know you're smarter than that.

Yes a Mac mini is a better bang for the buck alternative to this in your home theater/stereo rack. Some people might laugh at those using a computer like that....more trouble than it's worth... blah blah blah. Your example of using a Mac mini as an entertainment server is very similar to using this new dock in an office environment; it's not the Mac mini home entertainment server, it's was intended as a low price computer. Apple probably designed it as such to help get people to switch...have an old Dell, well toss ut the CPU, save the monitor and keyboad and BAM, buy a Mac. It's certainly nice that it works as a home media/entertainment server, but that's not how it was marketed. But there's no crime in that now is there?

Get over yourselves.

Your example of using a Mac mini as an entertainment server is very similar to using this new dock in an office environment; it's not the Mac mini home entertainment server, it's was intended as a low price computer. Apple probably designed it as such to help get people to switch...have an old Dell, well toss ut the CPU, save the monitor and keyboad and BAM, buy a Mac. It's certainly nice that it works as a home media/entertainment server, but that's not how it was marketed. But there's no crime in that now is there?

Get over yourselves.

I am going to have to disagree with your positioning of the mac mini. It comes bundled with ilife 08 made specifically to handle home entertainment from apples mac mini page

"Live the digital life in stylish simplicity ? up to 39% faster.1 Just 6.5 inches square and 2 inches small, Mac mini lets you have more fun with your music, photos, and movies, more quickly and more easily. Enjoy them up close or far away with the included Apple Remote. The most affordable way to Intel Core 2 Duo, iLife ?08, and Front Row starts at $599." so Apple highlights music, movies, photos and a remote to me that is a home media server? YMMV

I am going to have to disagree with your positioning of the mac mini. It comes bundled with ilife 08 made specifically to handle home entertainment from apples mac mini page

"Live the digital life in stylish simplicity ? up to 39% faster.1 Just 6.5 inches square and 2 inches small, Mac mini lets you have more fun with your music, photos, and movies, more quickly and more easily. Enjoy them up close or far away with the included Apple Remote. The most affordable way to Intel Core 2 Duo, iLife ?08, and Front Row starts at $599." so Apple highlights music, movies, photos and a remote to me that is a home media server? YMMV

The Mac Mini clearly is marketed as a home entertainment center by Apple as Wadia is doing with this device based upon my reading of the pdf on their site.

To again go off topic, I pulled the top of my HTPC case today during my lunch break and determined it was the 92mm intake fan that was making the most noise. I unplugged it and using SpeedFan monitored the change in temp at idle and while running audio and video. Even playing a 720p .wmv video file, the core temp never went above 45* C, so it looks like I should be all set for what limited use the HTPC gets. It's significantly quieter now than it was, and the remaining fan noise from the CPU fan and the remaining 2 60mm exhaust fans is no longer instrusive.