Apogee Duet Kicks Ass

jp11801

I'd be surprised if a reference was ever priced cheap enough to count as a downgrade :)

I am about to start spending more time with plaidplatypus's Gilmore Reference that I am borrowing, and will be hooking it up to my mini-DAC tomorrow to give it a try. It got here right before we left for Maui for Xmas, and I've only tested it to make sure it was working, hooked up to a Samsung DVD in the other room. I'll let you know what I think about it - hoping I don't like it enough to make an offer to buy it (although it's not for sale).

I'd be surprised if a reference was ever priced cheap enough to count as a downgrade :)

Yeah, that one's a reeaalll long shot.

I allowed myself to become so desensitized to the cost of audio gear over the last couple years - now that I'm becoming much more sensitive again, I think I could live with a nice Gilmore V2 as my 2nd amp/preamp. I reckon it should be relatively inexpensive if they ever came up used. I remember it sounding very smooth and powerful last time I had one - first amp I really "loved" and really proved to me the utility of a good amp. Tubes are fun to look at, but seriously I only really need the Zana (and even that's seriously stretching the meaning of "need") to cover my tube amp usage.

As a followup to the last pages discussions, per a suggestion by Salt Peanuts I picked up an Belken AC powered Firewire hub. Unfortunately, this doesn't help us first gen MacBooks owners, as the fan slowly climbs as normal to hold at max. It was worth a try though. Thanks again for the idea SP. Interesting the AC is powering the Duet somewhat as the light comes on on it when plugged into the hub and not the MacBook. However this complicates things further. When then plugging into the MacBook it doesn't 'jumpstart' the Duet. It stays semi-alive (lit up, but not functioning). The Duet must be disconnected/connected between the hub and itself to work normally.

On the positive side of things I also picked up a couple of these Sewell Firewire Extenders. For anyone that needs to move the Duet and extend the digital signal to minimize the analog one, these work quite well. Maybe this will help me in situations where I'm not next to the laptop fans. ;)

And for those wondering, no I didn't use the latter when testing the former.

• 2 months later...

So...wow. I got mine today. Either they're overdriving my amp (Radii HAP-02) -- which means they're louder than the standard output of the Mac -- or I'm suffering from lack of burn-in. :palm:

Or something else. I'll play with levels.

Anyone know any good upsampling software for Mac?

I might also have to try my Singlepower amp on it.

My experience with the duet says the best setting is to go for about 1/2 volume on line out (not instrument out). Use your ears and find the level that works best for the input on your amp.

For the mac, go to audio midi settings, set it to 24/96, and just leave it there. Core audio upsampling is pretty darn good. Always launch itunes AFTER you change those settings. or you'll get the resampling done inside itunes, which is terrible.

Whoa.

I just heard something I've never heard before: at 3:27 of "Why So Serious?" from the Dark Knight soundtrack, there are some bass throbs that are practically subterranean.

I've got it set at 25% (-32db). Seems to be a good place (gain), plus it's a power of two, so the computer isn't taxed at doing the maths. ;)

Duet needs more ERS paper to really shine!

IMG_2498.jpg

The sound gained weight, the stereophonic image has grown in every dimension and pulled back a little. I now feel the vertigo of true emotions. I spent three days sitting on a stool, curtains closed for better room treatment, forgetting to eat and procrastinating everything else. It

• 1 year later...

I might end up with one of these eventually, but I've been pretty happy with my DACport 24/96 unit for portable Macbook use. I usually don't need the inputs, but a dedicated line out is nice, and the breakout box with balanced XLR out is attractive too. My only complaint about the original Duet was some audible hiss with my custom IEM, so I hope this doesn't have too much hiss.

• 10 years later...