Apogee Duet Kicks Ass

jp11801

What I meant was that when you max the volume on the Transporter (not in slimserver) it goes to the highest number (do not remember what number) then it goes to 0. When it's on 0, your headphone amp or preamp controls the volume. There is no sound unless you increase the volume on your amp/preamp. It's as if the volume control on the Transporter is disabled. The SB3 does not disable the volume when you max it out. This is all by recollection so perhaps someone with a Transporte (Aason) can determine whether my feeble 47 your old mind is still working.

If I remember correctly from my squeezeboxen days, you can also disable the volume control through slimserver which does the same thing [0db attenuation, 'true' line out]. I would imagine this would work with the SB3 and the transporter.

I thought that you can disable the "digital" output volume on the SB3 when I had it, but not the analog.

You might be right. I don't have it any longer, it's been a month, you can't expect me to hang on to a piece of gear that long. ???:)

Digital out can be switched off. There also is a digital volume control which can be set to "fixed".

On the analog side I qute from the player configuration: "This is a secondary volume control which applies only to the analog outputs on Squeezebox. Enter the amount of attenuation in decibels. Range is 0.0 to 63.0 in 0.5 db steps. The default is 0 (for full volume)."

I've never tried it. I will give it a shot tonight if I remember.

thanks tyrion. i'm getting more and more curious about this thing, and if it runs a hd580 reasonably well, then i may sell my lunchbox and invest in one of these. doesn't hurt that i have powered speakers that i can use with this thing either.

i just read a post in a guitar forum dated Jan 13/08.

the poster stated that he had just bought a Duet at Sam Ash for 20% off ($400). it was mentioned that anything in the store (limit one item) could be had at that discount, and that it was in-store only (not applicable to on-line purchases).

can anyone confirm this?

i'm overseas, but would try to get someone to purchase one of these for me if this offer turns out to be true.

Ok, using a radio shack spl meter and white noise, I level matched the duet headphone jack to the m3 headphone jack. Realizing that the m3 is balanced, using cinemag transformers to balance the inputs. The m3 has better bass control, better details, and is more "full". But the duet headphone jack is no slouch. And it's a LOT smaller.

First few minutes of testing says duet is a nice portable solution (while nowhere near as portable as the pico :) ). Comparisons with the pico will begin when the package from california gets here. And of course, extended listening will happen with both, I just figured I'd post initial duet impressions.

Ok, using a radio shack spl meter and white noise, I level matched the duet headphone jack to the m3 headphone jack. Realizing that the m3 is balanced, using cinemag transformers to balance the inputs. The m3 has better bass control, better details, and is more "full". But the duet headphone jack is no slouch. And it's a LOT smaller.

First few minutes of testing says duet is a nice portable solution (while nowhere near as portable as the pico :) ). Comparisons with the pico will begin when the package from california gets here. And of course, extended listening will happen with both, I just figured I'd post initial duet impressions.

wish you had a pair of senns around to try the headphone out with, because if it sounds good, then i may just have to buy one of these

OMG this thing ROCKS. Drives the hf1s well, sounds great so far with the m3 as a speaker amp and headphone amp. I can't wait to give it the head to head with the pico.

You got it already? Two days, not bad. Take you time with it since I have the tt I've haven't bothered with anything digital.

wish you had a pair of senns around to try the headphone out with, because if it sounds good, then i may just have to buy one of these

Dan if you want my HD-600s, I can send them and hold onto Tom Hankin's 650s for a little bit longer. Tom will be cool with it. I guess I can send you my excellent (impressions will follow when I get a moment to write something up) Enigma Audion Senn cables.

I guess I should be excited about this Duet thing, but I have to wait a little longer to hear it. I have to admit that I didn't even know it had a headphone jack. :-[ I could easily sell my VDA-1/PSU and be more than half way to the cost of the of the Duet.

Dan, the USPS Priority Mail Pico package could arrive today but I would expect tomorrow at the latest. :popcorn:

I guess I should be excited about this Duet thing, but I have to wait a little longer to hear it. I have to admit that I didn't even know it had a headphone jack. :-[ I could easily sell my VDA-1/PSU and be more than half way to the cost of the of the Duet.

Dan, the USPS Priority Mail Pico package could arrive today but I would expect tomorrow at the latest. :popcorn:

I never bothered to try the headphone out.

We need a Duet/NWO/Emm Labs Smackdown. I think the Emm stack is going to come tumbling down. ;):)