Apogee Duet Kicks Ass

jp11801

Don't be a hater. I know how you feel, once you get yourself a Duet, everything will be better.

Not a hater in general, just hating you for trying to make me think that my $12K in dac/transport is not as good as this $500 shiny shit-box Mac Dac.

**Note to Mike: Sorry that this doesn't contain any positive vibes you hippie.**

ODDBALLSAYSsilkscreen.jpg

Dan if you want my HD-600s, I can send them and hold onto Tom Hankin's 650s for a little bit longer. Tom will be cool with it. I guess I can send you my excellent (impressions will follow when I get a moment to write something up) Enigma Audion Senn cables.

If you haven't sent the hd600s yet, don't. I am buying a set :). The zachypoo cable on the other hand, send up :)

And fuck apogee for going mac only :stick:

Apple made it so apogee only had to worry about the quality of the converters, and handled everything else for them. Saved them a lot in development costs. The result is unbelievable. It's cheaper to buy a duet + a mac mini than to buy anything else comparable without the mac.

Apple made it so apogee only had to worry about the quality of the converters, and handled everything else for them. Saved them a lot in development costs. The result is unbelievable. It's cheaper to buy a duet + a mac mini than to buy anything else comparable without the mac.

I am remain impressed with the duet in my rig and feel that the apple only core audio is most likely the reason for the great sound and low cost. This is one product that breaks the price paradigm and show you don't need to spend $2k to get great sound. To me the sole quibble is the klonky breakout cable is a PITA for home audio use but is a small price to pay for the duets price to sound quality ratio. For $1300 you can get the mac mini a 750gb hard drive and the duet and have enough space for over 1500 cds

I am remain impressed with the duet in my rig and feel that the apple only core audio is most likely the reason for the great sound and low cost. This is one product that breaks the price paradigm and show you don't need to spend $2k to get great sound. To me the sole quibble is the klonky breakout cable is a PITA for home audio use but is a small price to pay for the duets price to sound quality ratio. For $1300 you can get the mac mini a 750gb hard drive and the duet and have enough space for over 1500 cds

....and I'm sure Vince whip out a better breakout cable than the included one now that he has the pinout arrangement.

A mini mac also looks nice in the living room, that's honestly why I made up a reason to buy one. (I had to buy a LCD TV as well to use as a monitor, but the old tv was crap so I guess it dosn't really count)

Just remember everyone, that while it is a great dac, it's still digital and we all know vinyl rules. >:D

If anyone ends up buying one, I suggest going through Sweetwater.com. I have no affiliation other than I am a happy customer. Their customer service is the best, by far, that I've had on the net. There is a sales engineer (their term) named Paul Allen who you can ask for if you get one. He can't deal on the price but can upgrade shipping. They also offer their own support for the products they sell.

Just remember everyone, that while it is a great dac, it's still digital and we all know vinyl rules. >:D

If anyone ends up buying one, I suggest going through Sweetwater.com. I have no affiliation other than I am a happy customer. Their customer service is the best, by far, that I've had on the net. There is a sales engineer (their term) named Paul Allen who you can ask for if you get one. He can't deal on the price but can upgrade shipping. They also offer their own support for the products they sell.

I got my Adam Audio A7's from sweetwater and I agree, they're fantastic.

That's probably true...the problem for me is that I don't want to use a mac. I want my music server to be the same computer I play games on. I guess you can't have everything ;D (no, I won't buy a mac to dual boot windows...overpriced).

So Dan, do you like it better than your Mini-DAC?

I would've bought this thing myself already if I didn't have my SB3/840c combo.

I think I do. Unfortunately, I sold the minidac, so I can't compare directly. But the headphone out is 1000000% better. And I think I do prefer the duet to the minidac. But when you include the cost, I 100% prefer the duet. $480 AD/DA vs $750 DA, no contest. Especially when other people buy them and make needledrops :)

I think I do. Unfortunately, I sold the minidac, so I can't compare directly. But the headphone out is 1000000% better. And I think I do prefer the duet to the minidac. But when you include the cost, I 100% prefer the duet. $480 AD/DA vs $750 DA, no contest. Especially when other people buy them and make needledrops :)

fuck it, i'm buying one the next chance i get. i loved my mini-dac when i had it and if this is that much better, fuck me.

does that mean you're selling your emu? ;)

yeah, i'll definitely sell it once i gather enough cash to buy a duet (obviously the proceeds from the selling of my e-mu and my lunchbox will help fund it), but it may be a while, since I got other things I need to buy and what not. i thought you already bought one? if not, and you don't buy one before, i'll put you at the top of my list.

i hope, for your sake David, that the Duet's headphone output is better than your lunchbox ;)

i was just typing that i hope it is ;)

if not, then i'll just have to save more so i can keep my lunchbox, because god damn, i love the thing. i really do. i've always wanted a PPX3, but i think i could be happy with this thing for life.