Apogee Duet Kicks Ass

jp11801

well 27 days since I bought the duet and I still think it's tops, I am just about ready to sell off the cosecant :kitty:

the little dac really competes at levels far above its pricepoint and I would say it safely would compete with dacs in the sub 2k range and potentially above. The dac lacks the last bit of body some of the uber dacs or cdps have but I would safely stack this up against the transporter, dac1, cosecant, mini dac... the only thing I wish for is just a touch more body but still it has more than the previous mentioned dacs except the cosecant which loses on points for bass depth and tightness (I hate deep but ill defined bass and don't mind giving up deep bloat for less depth with definition and speed) .

I am looking forward to the Mayberry on Acid meet to see what the peanut gallery thinks although I am convinced that people's minds are clouded by price and form factor when listening to gear at times . I am convinced that if you put a hornet in an amp case with glowing tubes and matched it against a hornet in normal clothes people would overwhelming choose with their eyes. Which goes back to this dac in that I believe the mac only, small form factor and sub $500 will lead to comments like . It's good for the price or lacks refinement... because people inherently listen with their eyes.

I can't wait to match up the pico and the duet out of my Mac mini rig/Eddie Current HD2 to see how these two stack up on the dac front. I believe the pico may outperform the duet from a headphone output standpoint but the dac sections I dunno?

The Duet does look like a really good bargain. Not having a Mac kinda puts a damper on it. Oh well, I guess that's why Justin birthed the Pico, so the rest of us lowly plebs with PCs can have fun too ;D

Duet + Mac Mini is cheaper than many of the dacs it'll compete with. Especially if you go with a g4 mini or a core solo.

• 3 weeks later...

It means the way the duet works is completely dependent on key pieces of the mac operating system.

I haven't looked. Is the source for it legally available? If not, it will mean a very difficult reverse engineering project. Otherwise, it's a port. This may be relatively simple or complex, depending on how tied into MAC OS it is and whether windows has similar services.

I haven't looked. Is the source for it legally available? If not, it will mean a very difficult reverse engineering project. Otherwise, it's a port. This may be relatively simple or complex, depending on how tied into MAC OS it is and whether windows has similar services.

Source isn't available. It's apple proprietary code. It's integral to how apple does audio. I'd say it's not a practical task at all. But who knows. :)