fucking crap

grawk

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I see anything particularly wrong with that. But if it's shocking you with any regularity I'd get it looked at before using it again.

thanks Nate. i feel like it's something with the case, cause the last time it got me was when i was reaching for the rca plugs and the first time was when i picked the damn thing up. needless to say, i've got the thing unplugged because i'm not using the damned thing until i figure this out.

thanks Nate. i feel like it's something with the case, cause the last time it got me was when i was reaching for the rca plugs and the first time was when i picked the damn thing up. needless to say, i've got the thing unplugged because i'm not using the damned thing until i figure this out.

The way that I see it is that assuming the DAC is wired properly it's likely that the case is tied to safety ground (the ground at the IEC). If your outlet is ungrounded then safety ground floats and the chassis carries whatever voltage is present. When you touch the case you're becoming the path to ground. I can't remember if you've already figured out if the outlet you're using is grounded but if it is then something really weird is going on. It's also weird that there would be any voltage present at the ground unless there was a short of some kind and that could be either on the AC or DC side of things.

thanks again Nate. i still have to go to home depot and get a ground tester to see if the outlet is grounded or not. i'm just assuming that it is because none of the other things i got plugged into the surge protector seem to be having any problems (at least as far as i know).

that's where the two grounded wires are connected to the case. i'll get a ground tester today and check it out. thanks again.

thanks again Nate. i still have to go to home depot and get a ground tester to see if the outlet is grounded or not. i'm just assuming that it is because none of the other things i got plugged into the surge protector seem to be having any problems (at least as far as i know).

that's where the two grounded wires are connected to the case. i'll get a ground tester today and check it out. thanks again.

Most things don't actually need to be grounded. I had a bass amp once that had a similar problem, and every time I'd touch a string, I'd get a tingle. That was exciting :)

Probably not the power cable, though that should be an easy check... you have a meter (DMM)? If so, unplug the unit and with the DMM, set to ohms scale, check between the hot and ground and neutral and ground pins on the input AC connector with the switch off. Then try it with the power switch on (still unplugged :o). You shouldn't see anything between hot and ground with the switch off. Neutral and ground, not sure... depends on how the chassis is tied to ground I think. With the switch on, you probably won't see anything either, other than maybe the transformer primaries. I would think if you had a short from hot to ground (chassis?), the fuse would blow...

so i had someone with an ee background take a look at it and he said that everything seems fine. used a multimeter on it as well and said it was fine, although i thought the multimeter said SHRT on it, not sure if that means short or not, but i'm going to assume that's what SHRT means?

Well, when you use a multimeter checking the ohmage of something, and you touch two ends of a cable that are the same piece of wire, it should say short. When you touch two different wires, it'll say some ridiculously high impedance. That's what it should do.

it wasn't two sides of the same cable, it was the grounded point in the case and one of the points on the outlet input

it wasn't two sides of the same cable, it was the grounded point in the case and one of the points on the outlet input

If the ground pin on the IEC connector is connected directly to the case, then this is correct (very common configuration). The point of this is safety... if something in the transformer/PSU/AC connection were to come in contact with the case, the case will short it back to the ground in the power cable. Should also blow the fuse as well.

If your friend could check AC voltage between the ground point on the case and a wall outlet ground, that would tell you if you have any AC on the case.

You said you got shocked again just from the interconnect? What does this interconnect go to? It might not be the DAC or whatever it is that you are checking now... could be another piece of equipment causing it. Many components have the interconnect grounds connected to the chassis as well.

You said you got shocked again just from the interconnect? What does this interconnect go to? It might not be the DAC or whatever it is that you are checking now... could be another piece of equipment causing it. Many components have the interconnect grounds connected to the chassis as well.

well the second time i got shocked was when i touched the interconnect to pull it from the dac-ah. so i just grabbed the connector, not the case at all. i was thinking that the current may be coming from the lunchbox because it uses a two prong power cable. *shrug*

well the second time i got shocked was when i touched the interconnect to pull it from the dac-ah. so i just grabbed the connector, not the case at all. i was thinking that the current may be coming from the lunchbox because it uses a two prong power cable. *shrug*

Dude, that's f'ed up.