New Cat

tkam

Don't worry, no one thought she was :)
rimshot.gif

Oh, and Earl -- nice cats, Henry and Jeep are, even if one of them is a trouble-maker.

I think mine is retarded. And I don't mean in the way that all cats are retarded, I mean retarded for a cat. Here's what happened this morning:

Every time Luvbug sees Missy, she hisses. She came downstairs for the first time, and Missy was sitting in one of the chairs. Like straight out of Star Trek, she scanned the floor, looking for Missy, but didn't see her, so didn't hiss. Went over to the food bowl, ate a little. Turned around, looked for Missy, didn't see her, went over to the water bowl, drank a little, turned around (like she could smell her). Went under the chair in which Missy was sitting, sniffed the air, sniffed the ground -- you could see that she knew she was nearby. Missy got tired of being nice, so she dropped her tail. Luvbug still didn't see her, only her tail. All of sudden (you could almost see the lightbulb go off over her head), she looked up, saw her, and hissed.

(shakes head)

I think I have a retarded cat. It's okay, I don't love her any less.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Update for those interested, I've been in contact with a British Shorthair breeder and have put a deposit down for a kitten. I get my pick from the following litter that was just born on January 30th. Pickup date will be sometime in April.

bhkitty.jpg

Maine Coons are fabulous cats. Size of small dogs (biggest domesticated cat breed I expect), intelligent, as good a personality as youll get out of a cat.

It might interest you to know that the Maine Coon Cat is descended from... "The Norwegian Skaugkatt...known in Scandinavia as the the "Mountain Fairy Cat" for its singular ability to scale vertical cliff faces." The quote is from 'Discovering the Mysteries of Ancient America; Lost History and Legends, Unearthed and Explored' which I read not too long ago. Apparently the Skaugkatts were left behind by Vikings, and probably mixed a bit with native cats and/or cats which arrived later.

Laz

It might interest you to know that the Maine Coon Cat is descended from... "The Norwegian Skaugkatt...known in Scandinavia as the the "Mountain Fairy Cat" for its singular ability to scale vertical cliff faces." The quote is from 'Discovering the Mysteries of Ancient America; Lost History and Legends, Unearthed and Explored' which I read not too long ago. Apparently the Skaugkatts were left behind by Vikings, and probably mixed a bit with native cats and/or cats which arrived later.

Laz

Scaling vertical cliffs or not, it's still a cat and therefore dumb as a housebrick.

• 2 years later...
We noticed a new family of kittens living under our back porch. I'd been noticing the apparent parents hanging out in our yard more lately. So today we put out a dish of milk and one of tuna.

I would be hesitant to put the milk out, because most cats are lactose intolerant. A bowl of water should do the trick. I'm sure they greatly appreciate the tuna though. :)