M^3: What are my options?

GPH

Hi guys!

I've done some extensive researching in the past few days to find an amp that would be a good match for Senn HD600 and I've pretty much settled my choice on the M^3.

The problem is, there seems to be an incredible number of configurations and upgrades possible and I'm no DIY guru so it's hard to know exactly what I want and what's the best I can get for the price I want to pay. I want to spend about 500$-600$ and my source for the moment is a modest M-Audio Transit USB (next upgrade after the amp ;D).

What's your suggestions for the parts? Also, I need to find a builder, so I'll take your recommendations on that.

Sorry to be threadjacking a little, but does anyone know if you can add a bass boost to a already built m^3?

Yes, as long as there's room in the case and it's not using a gain switch. If it is using a gain switch, you may have to give up that function for the bass boost. A lot of people either use the bass boost circuit for a gain switch or for the bass boost, but you can't do both with the traces on the board.

I paid about Cdn $400 and on going rate is about $200, a return of -50%........NPV = -200

haha, I major in finance...I decided to keep it and get the new dynamic form Senn later

If you major in finance, then you should understand the concept of a sunk cost. Don't get hung up on what the sunk costs are. You didn't buy them as an investment, you bought them as a mistake. Realize the mistake, liquidate, and pick something that doesn't rape your ears. Simple :)

but actually, I like it pretty much, from my experience with K701 and Hd650.

PL750 is less bright than k701 and more sub-bass, more detail, and faster than Hd650, and I need a good closed can to block noise

but of course, If I have a chance to hear recabled or balanced k701 or hd650, my opinion may change

so, back to opamps searching

Hey, if you want to opamp roll to try and mask another problem that's fine by me but unless you change the opamp to something that rolls off the treble or otherwise causes the amp to not have its ruler-flat frequency response I'm just saying I don't think you'll hear a substantial difference in the overall presentation. The M3 is a very resolving amp, you've probably never had one like it, so now you're finding that some of your other components are not its equal.

Overall sound is a bit bright. I'm looking for new opamps to tweak the sound.

My guess is that the M3 is not the problem or part that needs tweaking if you're finding things too bright.

I find my PL750 bright as well, recabling improved the phone generally but it is still too bright for me. I was lucky enough to get a stock K340 for a good price and after a little light modding am very, very much more attached to this (even when it's being inadequately driven by my minidac) than to my 750's.

I did a little opamp rolling (when I had my supermacro and supermini) and for me the the PL750 was still to bright for my enjoyment. The harshness of my 750's subsided somewhat after 350-500 hours but they are still bright after 1200+ hours.

(supermacro v3, supermini v3, supermini v3 updated) - You can see a list of the opamps I rolled at http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1741

Try to pick up a pair of good used phones, so you likely won't lose much money when you come to sell them.