Team M^3 Unite!

jinp6301

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I dont see my self being able to afford anything over $500 until I find a way to not pay for school :P

I have 3 x AD843 in the amp right now. Is there anything better for grados?

I think that's what's in mine (only mine uses 6 :) ). I may be using 743s tho. Honestly, don't stress about the opamp too much, the impact of switching them is over stated.

Hi Jin

Stephen set mine up with 8065s and a tread, for a college student in CA who wanted to power his AKG K340s.

Using it on one of my computer set ups with a D2.

Until you feel like you can spend north of a grand I'd pretty much consider it the best thing going.

Just looking for your opinion Nate, but does that include a GS-1 too?

USG

orig.jpg

Ah, the mighty M3, the amp that prompted me to send n_maher a PM. Not having had the acquitance of Nate either online or in person, I was really hesitant but he seemed to be an upright guy and genuinely a nice guy, so I worked up the nerve to ask him, "Please, sir, would you be so kind as to build for me an M3 like the one that SK138 is bragging about?" And while we were discussing the particulars, SK138's M3 came up for sale, and I immediately bought it.

AFAIK, SK138's M3 was the last one that thrice built after closing down Rockhopper a year ago(?) before reopening it. It's really cool in that it has two headphone jacks and 4 inputs.

From SK138's for sale post:

• Single Case Design (silver brushed aluminum case)
  • STEPS Power Supply
  • Black Gates (not STD series) Capacitors
  • 4 Inputs
  • 1 Loop Out
  • 2nd Headphone Jack
  • Gain Switch (for High and Low impedance headphones)
  • Mute Switch
  • Optional 627/637 Opamps and Alps Blue Velvet Pot
  • No bass boost; as Stephen recommended against this since it will degrade the signal path with more capacitors

Ah, the mighty M3, the amp that prompted me to send n_maher a PM. Not having had the acquitance of Nate either online or in person, I was really hesitant but he seemed to be an upright guy and genuinely a nice guy, so I worked up the nerve to ask him, "Please, sir, would you be so kind as to build for me an M3 like the one that SK138 is bragging about?" And while we were discussing the particulars, SK138's M3 came up for sale, and I immediately bought it.

AFAIK, SK138's M3 was the last one that thrice built after closing down Rockhopper a year ago(?) before reopening it. It's really cool in that it has two headphone jacks and 4 inputs.

From SK138's for sale post:

• Single Case Design (silver brushed aluminum case)
  • STEPS Power Supply
  • Black Gates (not STD series) Capacitors
  • 4 Inputs
  • 1 Loop Out
  • 2nd Headphone Jack
  • Gain Switch (for High and Low impedance headphones)
  • Mute Switch
  • Optional 627/637 Opamps and Alps Blue Velvet Pot
  • No bass boost; as Stephen recommended against this since it will degrade the signal path with more capacitors

Mute switch? I don't recall ever using a mute switch...perhaps that's a switch to switch from headphone out to preamp out on the back. It would make more sense that there was a preamp out on the back with that switch.

I know there's a million and 1 combinations, of both amps

But in general, how's the M3 compare to a PPAv2?

At one point I had both, each with STEPS and 637/627 opamps. I preferred the PPA v2 for my Senns, and I didn't really care for either with Grados. So I sold the M3. Once I sold my 650/Zu, the PPA v2 was the next to go. The PPA v2 struck me as more detailed throughout, and the M3 added just a bit of warmth.

I like my m3. AD743 or 843 (not sure which), 4 inputs, cinemag transformers, 4 channel dact, FPE 4mm front panel, and THL knobs, and 4 gain settings. No bass boost. Sigma 11 power supply. Weighs a little more than my car. Cost a little more than my car. :)

Mute switch? I don't recall ever using a mute switch...perhaps that's a switch to switch from headphone out to preamp out on the back. It would make more sense that there was a preamp out on the back with that switch.

IIRC, Se wrote in a PM that the preamp functionality was not implemented but that it could be done in the future. I've not used the output jack , so I've never verified the behavior of the "mute" switch on the output jack. What you say does make sense as I was wondering one would need to mute headphones.

man, I need a gain switch on my m^3. I can barely go past 8 o'clock without blasting my ears off with sibilance

You probably have a gain of 11, which is insanely high for just about every application. Rather than deal with the complexity of a switch your problem could more than likely be solved by replacing two resistors.

I bet the penguin could handle that for you. :)