Ipod in the car

ronnielee54

Recently upgraded car stereo to Alpine CDA9885 so I could use my Ipod in the car. Original plan was to buy Nano and leave it in the car all the time, but have been reading on a few car audio forums that the new Ipods (Nano and Touch specifically) are having problems interfacing with pretty much all car recievers. Don't know this for a fact but that is what I have been reading.

Now the plan is to buy new Classic for my everyday use at work and move my 5.5g 30 gig to car. The reason I had originally planned on the Nano was no hard drive to be affected by vibration (if it would). Do you think wrapping Ipod in foam rubber would reduce vibration safely, or do I even need to bother?

• 6 months later...

Hi there.

This is my first post to the forum ... hope you'd find it interesting.

you can replace the hard drive of the ipod with a compact flash card (a 30g a-data goes at newegg these days for less than 100).

For ipod mini, you just replace it. For 5.5g you need an adapter.

check out Tarkan Akdam’s BORED

I ordered one from him (haven't ordered the cf card yet).

Shipping from UK was pretty fast.

Cheers,

Erez

My wife and I use a 5G iPod and an older Rio Carbon via their headphone outputs to the line-in of the stereo in our G5, neither have a specific holder so they sit in the cup holder or beneath the emergency brake. We also live on an island that has notoriously bad roads and we've never had a problem with either player skipping or such.

I wonder how much of a shock do you need to mess up a ipod's hard drive. i can see dropping it from so many feet up but noway can road bumps hurt it...i mean your talking some really bad jolts...your car would be messed up first before the hard drive in your ipod would get even close to being hurt.

i never understood why people that ask this question don't figure what would happen to your car in the long run if the driving was that bad. are people that messed up about hard drives? is there a reports of ipods messing up in a car?

Last winter i went over a pot hole and the hit was so bad it cracked my front rim (i mean the rim had a spilt in it) and bent my back rim. that was the worst hit i ever sustained from the road in all my years driving, still that would be nowhere near the force an ipod would feel in a high fall. you have to remember the ipod is not taking on the force in a car directly as the rims are.

i never understood why people that ask this question don't figure what would happen to your car in the long run if the driving was that bad. are people that messed up about hard drives? is there a reports of ipods messing up in a car?
It's probably left over from listening to CD's in a car -- especially with Diskman-type players (as opposed to in-dash players).

I have a car computer (carputer) with a standard desktop 400gb drive. I have never ever ever had any problems with it skipping. Even driving down rough back roads it doesn't skip a beat.

If you want to find out how much vibration it takes to make your iPod skip just shake the piss out of it.

If your shaking your touch/nano/shuffle/iPhone just go ahead and give it to someone that is not a retard. :palm: