Is there any point in keeping a tablet PC?

I have received a HP tablet PC from work. Which I don't have any use for work wise. My current laptop is a P-M 1.8 GHz with a gig of RAM running XP which is plenty fast for the research and patient software I need to run. And seeing how this was some how factored into the hospital/academic budget I'm free to do whatever I want with it.

compaq2710pnotebook400xfc6.jpg

I think these are the specs:

Genuine Windows Vista? Business (except it's coming loading with XP Pro)

Windows Vista? capable*Windows Vista? Premium ready

Intel? Core?2 Duo Ultra Low Voltage Processor (up to 1.2 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache)

1 x 1024MB DDR2

80 GB

No optical device

12.1 Illumi-Lite WXGA (1280 x 800 resolution), UWVA, with digitizer; 12.1 Illumi-Lite WXGA (1280 x 800 resolution), UWVA, outdoor viewable display with digitizer; 12.1 Illumi-Lite WXGA (1280 x 800 resolution), UWVA with digitizer, with integrated camera

Starting at 1.6 kg (weight will vary by configuration)

2.8 (at front) x 29.0 x 21.2 cm

and has finger print recognition thingy, bluetooth, etc. BUT I don't think it has 802.11n :stick:

Now where I was thinking the tablet PC could be handy is using it as a remote or playlist control device. Still it feels a bit dumb having such a modern device be used for just that one thing. I'm pretty happy with my current laptop as is.

And selling this beast would pay for a used Stax Omega 2 in full. Which right now seems more useful than a second laptop.

But if there's anything else this could be used for I'm open to your thoughts, but I'm leaning towards getting rid of it right now.

Isn't it easier to code with a tablet? I know that's why my dad uses it. For coding, and for taking notes while making rounds.

I'd ditch the p-m

I have received a HP tablet PC from work. Which I don't have any use for work wise. My current laptop is a P-M 1.8 GHz with a gig of RAM running XP which is plenty fast for the research and patient software I need to run. And seeing how this was some how factored into the hospital/academic budget I'm free to do whatever I want with it.

compaq2710pnotebook400xfc6.jpg

I think these are the specs:

Genuine Windows Vista? Business (except it's coming loading with XP Pro)

Windows Vista? capable*Windows Vista? Premium ready

Intel? Core?2 Duo Ultra Low Voltage Processor (up to 1.2 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache)

1 x 1024MB DDR2

80 GB

No optical device

12.1 Illumi-Lite WXGA (1280 x 800 resolution), UWVA, with digitizer; 12.1 Illumi-Lite WXGA (1280 x 800 resolution), UWVA, outdoor viewable display with digitizer; 12.1 Illumi-Lite WXGA (1280 x 800 resolution), UWVA with digitizer, with integrated camera

Starting at 1.6 kg (weight will vary by configuration)

2.8 (at front) x 29.0 x 21.2 cm

and has finger print recognition thingy, bluetooth, etc. BUT I don't think it has 802.11n :stick:

Now where I was thinking the tablet PC could be handy is using it as a remote or playlist control device. Still it feels a bit dumb having such a modern device be used for just that one thing. I'm pretty happy with my current laptop as is.

And selling this beast would pay for a used Stax Omega 2 in full. Which right now seems more useful than a second laptop.

But if there's anything else this could be used for I'm open to your thoughts, but I'm leaning towards getting rid of it right now.

I'm really leaning toward the Omega 2 right now, unless there is something really cool that I could use this for.

Work wise the tablet would be handier on rounds since it is about 2 lbs lighter than my current laptop. But the patient software can't take advantage of the touch screen. Also the patient software prevents access to the clipboard so any typing has to be done inside the program so that leaves me at the mercy of the developers of that software if tablet writing features will ever be integrated or not.

The kicker is I don't even have a functioning high end rig right now :-X

Face it, where better to start than with an O2? It'll still be there as you collect the other bits. Shit, I was happy running my K1000s from a $30 t-amp. The K1000 was a chance in a lifetime I had to take whether I had a decent setup or not, so I took it and am (very) slowly upgrading the rest to match it.

• 1 year later...