Need a source recommendation

recstar24

Just wanted to throw out there that I may possibly want to move away from the Meridian sound that I have been listening to for the past year or so, and try out something else. Budget is around $1500 +/-, the more below that the better. Used is just fine, in fact I would prefer used because that means it is probably a $2000+ unit and we all know that the more expensive something costs the better it sounds ;)

What I have liked and enjoyed about the Meridian sound:

Great soundstage - to hear actual soundstage depth that is cohesive and captures all of the spatial information on a recording, probably the best Meridian trait. All of my headphones and amps that I have run through my meridians have usually had such a nice, big, enveloping soundstage, whether it was a grado or senn.

Smooth, non-fatiguing sound - can almost convince myself I am listening to vinyl, not quite but one of the best analog sounding cdp's out there IMO

bass quality - meridians have very taut, linear bass. The 508.24 offers a bolder, more round bass sound than the G08 but the bass is very nice for my tastes.

Detail without sounding harsh - the meridians have tons of microdetail and really capture the true timbre of an instrument or voice. But it does not force it down your throat.

Some areas that I may be missing out on with the meridian sound...

boogie factor - meridians really don't make you jump. I wouldn't go as far and say that I think they are dull or boring, at times it seems like the Meridians, in their aim to go for their very refined, air in the nose british sound, almost makes me feel like I am trying to do you know what with the hottest girl in the world, but she is too stuck up to want to get nasty and really into it. It would be nice if she tossed the hair, jumped crazy, called me all sorts of dirty names, but it just ain't happening with her.

slightly laid back presentation - meridians sort of place you in the middle towards the back of the hall. This lends well to one of my favorite traits about the meridian, the soundstage depth portrayal, but maybe I am looking for something that places me a couple of rows up. I still hear this laid back quality even with my Grado RS-1's, so I am pretty sure the Meridian is the part that is influencing this sound aspect the most.

Amp will be my soon to be Zana Deux. Grado RS-1's and HD650's (pending Boomana's future sale). Computer/USB not really an option at the moment. I guess DACS are okay but I have no idea what to use for a transport and I would rather devote my source budget all towards an all in one.

Thanks for the help.

Cambridge Audio should be on your short list of ones to audition.

Do you need any of these things:

SACD? DVD-A? Computer-as-source inputs (I.E. USB, or digital w/adapter)? Preamp functionality (variable outputs)?

Nope, CD is just fine. USB/digital inputs are not a priority, just straight up solid CD performance.

Simaudio Nova, the baby brother of the Eclipse which was their former flagship player.

Email sent - I have read many good things about simaudio and their cdp's. Solid engineering, i asked someone about their nova in the past and how it compared with the meridian. He felt it offered the same type of soundstage and depth and analog quality but with prat and bolder dynamics. We will see.

If you don't need high res, I do think the North Star is a great value. I haven't heard any of the Meridian players in my rig so hard to say how it compares. My impressions of the DAC are here. I've since had the opportunity to hear it in some very nice speaker rigs, my favorite being an Avantgarde Duo system where I preferred the North Star to a Naim CDS3 system, but still enjoyed the vinyl rig more.

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1205944610

Paging postjack or any others who have heard the modwright stuff. Have always been curious about it, tube cdp's appeal to me too.

If you are interested in tube cdp's, you might also want to be on the lookout for used eXemplar modified Denons. I have jp#'s old unit and it's the best digital source that I've spent any real time with. I've only briefly listened to Meridian's and can't really compare the eXemplar sound with the Meridian sound.

If you are interested in tube cdp's, you might also want to be on the lookout for used eXemplar modified Denons. I have jp#'s old unit and it's the best digital source that I've spent any real time with. I've only briefly listened to Meridian's and can't really compare the eXemplar sound with the Meridian sound.

I would wholeheartedly recommend the exemplar to anyone at it's current audiogon price it is a steal, nothing in the $1500 will touch it for redbook. The sacd/dvd-a is just ok but the redbook is where the exemplar shines

Are you referring to tkam's APL philips SACD1000? I could have sworn he sold that thing a long time ago, maybe next time i see him online we will have a little chat ;D

yep I still have it, feel free to pm me here or send me an IM next time your on AIM

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1205944610

Paging postjack or any others who have heard the modwright stuff. Have always been curious about it, tube cdp's appeal to me too.

The APL SACD1000 has a tube in it too ;) a single 6h30 used for the i/v stage to the pair of lundahl output transformers.