Eee PC

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I caved. Here are a few comparison pictures from my 4G surf. Note: the 4G's all have the memory access doors. I put a gig stick in mine.

My eee and my 14.1" Lenovo 3000n100

100_1844.jpg?t=1203794416

Open:

100_1845.jpg?t=1203794419

Touchpad and key comparison:

100_1846.jpg?t=1203794423

My hand

100_1847.jpg?t=1203794426

My treo 700wx:

100_1848.jpg?t=1203794431

Next to a size 14 shoe:

100_1849.jpg?t=1203794436

Next to a 13lb dachshund:

100_1851.jpg?t=1203794438

And finally with a nano, sd card, and es7's

100_1852.jpg?t=1203794441

It is now moving into full size laptop price, with a crappy processor, and limited storage. For the price they are talking: 499 Euros=$750 I'll pass. Hopefully that isn't the real price.

Also, with teh size of the current bezel, they should have wedged the 8.9" in there, without making the case any bigger.

I got to finally have a shot with one at the Ginsoc meeting last week, its a really lovely piece of kit and I was amazed at how well I was able to type despite having fingers like sausages. Ultimately though it wouldn't serve enough of a useful functional purpose over the top of the toy-things I'd do with one. So I'll stick with my pen and paper and spend the monies on a pair of Livewires. :D

A few actual specs of the 9" eeepc have been released.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/hands-on-with-the-9-inch-eee-pc/

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/04/asus-9-inch-eee-pc-now-with-living-pixels/

I'm not sure going with a larger screen was really necessary or a good move.

At the cost of a larger footprint? No way in hell, they should have shoehorned it into the existing case.

you know, i think that once the SDK is released for the iPhone/Touch, Apple is going to eat the lunch of the PDA makers and internet appliances. the form factor of the iPod Touch and the iPhone is just so perfect for on the go (and lounging around) use, and typing is quick and easy after about 15 minutes of practice. for me, all it needs is a basic word processor (and/or a plain text editor; i'd like to see emacs on it, and i don't understand why TextEdit.app hasn't been on it from the beginning), a good PDF reader and 802.1x support, and it'll take the place of my laptop for on the go situations about 75% of the time. i'm sure that once the SDK is in the hands of programmers there will be stuff i didn't even think of which will become indispensable. lots and lots of untapped potential, and Apple is finally wising up to what can be done with the thing, treating it as a platform instead of just a phone.

The last I read: apple was limiting what the SDK would enable application developers to do.

I'd have to play around with the Touch/iphone more, but from my past experience with the Dell Axim, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be happy with one for a 'pseudo' laptop replacement. The eee is a pretty good match, so far.

For general, important email checks, or directions, etc... my Treo is a perfect fit, and anyhting more than that, (like general browsing of HC, blogging, etc...) I want more than that, and that is the niche that the eee has fell into so far.

Plus, I love watching movies on it. My zen did the same thing, but small screen, and not having all my movies in the correct format was a PITA. I'm not a fan of having to reencode crap an hour before I want to watch it. On the eee, I have VLC, which will pay just about anything under the sun.

handbrake isn't the end all, be all, because it won't accept AVIs (AFAIK, it didn't accept an AVI the one time i tried). the problem Nate, since you don't have a Mac, you can't use Perian, so you'll either have to find another re-encoder to deal with AVIs, or find a AVI plug in for Windows Quicktime. i'm sure there are plenty of options out there.

I use avis with handbrake all the time.