Eee PC

My Asus Eee PC arrived yesterday. This is my first post from it. Impressions so far are ok. It's tiny. The keyboard is tiny. Probably easier to use for a "hunt & peck" typist like me. I'm still using the Linux based OS it comes with, but on Monday when I have access to a USB DVD drive will probably load XP.

I'll do some pics later to give an idea of this little thing. For now it's a cool toy, I'll just have t see how much I use it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool :)

I believe XP requires about 5 GB, you might need to use something like TinyXP?

Actually, XP will fit on the 4 GB Solid State drive in my Eee PC. But I will offload portions of it (My Documents, Browser Temp Files, etc.) to the 8GB SDHC card I bought with it. You can also run without a page file in most cases as paging to the SS drive is not a big benefit or actually desired because of limited write life. I bought a 2 GB stick of RAM to upgrade the default 512 MB. That should keep things moving in XP without the page file.

The 4G Eee, RAM and SDHC all came in under $500. A bit expensive as a toy but so far I'm enjoying using it.

pc1.jpg

pc2.jpg

pc3.jpg

Card reader, USB ports, D-sub for VGA out.

pc4.jpg

Network connection, modem connection (not available), USB port, Mic in, Phones out.

pc5.jpg

The main page of the Linux OS. Asus has done a good job of simplifying the interface for non tech users, but things like setting up wireless/network etc. might be challenging for the uninitiated. Wireless is built in - 802.11 b/g.

Don't hold your breath on that one. So far, about three hours has been the max. I'll have to see what it ends up being with XP.

Yeah that's fine. I'm interested in a device similar to this which I can use as a remote to control a PC connected to my audio rig.

And $300 for the base model is really cheap, hopefully they'll gain in popularity. It sounds like Asus is going to sell a ton of them in 2008.

Yeah that's fine. I'm interested in a device similar to this which I can use as a remote to control a PC connected to my audio rig.

And $300 for the base model is really cheap, hopefully they'll gain in popularity. It sounds like Asus is going to sell a ton of them in 2008.

Wow, that is cheap! This could be a fun device to just have out and about at WiFi hotspots and what not. I see it also comes in black, which is good.

Why XP? Is there some functionality which you desire which it does not yet accomplish? Me, I'd go full linux -- Ubuntu, perhaps...

I've dabbled in Linux but just have never been fully taken with it. And I'm an old dog, so new tricks don't come easily. :doghuh: I work with Windows every day and can be most efficient with it.

One thing about the lower end models - some don't contain a hatch on the underside to upgrade RAM. If you're ok with the 512 MB they come with that's ok, but if you need to upgrade those models you have to disassemble the chassis to do so. That was the reason I went to the $399 701 model and not the 4G Surf at $349.

You can upgrade the RAM on the surf though? Just more work?

Have you looked into the 'internal thumb drive' hack that others have been talking about?

Yes to upgrading the Surf: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=6036

Edit - apparently this is only the 4G Surf. The 2G models have soldered ram?

I've not looked into the internal thumb drive hack. I saw it mentioned, but have not followed up on it.

Just a follow up - I did get Windows XP on here. With some tweaking I still have 2GB of the 4GB SS drive available, and programs are loading to the SD card. Hasn't seemed to hamper how fast they run. I loaded Opera tonight and it makes for a quick little browser. And battery time hasn't seemed to suffer from the switch to XP. I think this was a worthwhile purchase overall.