headphone going rates

dc

Damn, I got my K501 for only $100. I think people are finding nice things about the K501 while looking for information on the K240, maybe. Anyway, I have seen K501s listed for $125+ lately; and I'm not sure if they've been selling, but it is out of production so I assume the price won't really go down.

You're the one who put items up without a price, deal with the consequences. Bottom line, for most of the stuff you're selling you could just set a price and say that you're accepting offers through some pre-set date and get the same result. I think it always helps thing the heard of asshats that you have to deal with if you at least set a minimum. Otherwise you have no one to blame but yourself for saying "make an offer" or whatever.

And in the end for stuff like the 501s is it really worth it to you to have to haggle for days on end to get another $15 to $20?

wisdom duly noted.

That's called negotiation.

yeah, i always assumed they'd start the ball rolling.

eh, guess it's a problem, i like buying but don't know how to sell. now i've accumulated all these phones...

Yeah, it's a standard tactic -- the potential buyer tries to call you out with "what's the absolute lowest you'll accept?". I usually ignore those freaks, because I get enough other people making actual offers. You'd think that sort of tactic wouldn't work frequently enough to develop any sort of following, but it does.

BTW, there's absolutely no reason to take abuse -- just ignore the assholes. Don't respond to them. And definitely put that one dude on ignore -- he needs to know that you're not going to respond. And if anyone posts anything in your thread, do not respond, simply report it to the moderators for deletion. There's a rule on head-fi where asking questions of the type that lead to even remotely hinting at lowering the value of your sale is not allowed. For "reason", say something like, "don't appreciate implicating the value of my headphones -- they are worth what the seller is willing to buy and the buyer is willing to sell them at".

Next time: put in qualifications like "lowball offers and messages without actual offers will be cheerfully ignored".

Unless of course you want to do your research first, and then list a price.

actually they're not, nothing but lowballers quoting Fitz and that I should sell it to them for $70

I have been glancing at them only periodically on ebay lately, but that's still in the same ballpark for a good condition pair. Not necessarily a minty perfect pair anymore, since those come up less often and so they draw the big bids now, but still very good pairs most of the time from what I've seen. Maybe you paid a lot more for yours? But that doesn't make the typical market price for them a "lowball" offer. ;)

However, if everybody wants to pay something like $150 for a pair, maybe I should start buying all the pairs that come up on ebay and resell them for that price. Even the ones in the EU with added expense for international shipping and bank fees, I would still make a good profit doing that. ;D

it might be possible to get more out of selling the HF-1 package separately... just a thought.

yes, but it's so much more hassle than its worth + extra cost of shipping to the USA from Australia is prohibitive for just pads

also, the 580 should be around 160-70

thanks, I'm hoping about this much considering all the accessories it comes with.

I have been glancing at them only periodically on ebay lately, but that's still in the same ballpark for a good condition pair. Not necessarily a minty perfect pair anymore, since those come up less often and so they draw the big bids now, but still very good pairs most of the time from what I've seen. Maybe you paid a lot more for yours? But that doesn't make the typical market price for them a "lowball" offer. ;)

However, if everybody wants to pay something like $150 for a pair, maybe I should start buying all the pairs that come up on ebay and resell them for that price. Even the ones in the EU with added expense for international shipping and bank fees, I would still make a good profit doing that. ;D

Yeah I only paid that much for them. It seems people on head-fi are willing to pay much more for them, and I am using that as a basis. I just got an offer for USD$200 shipped o_O I wasn't sure if he was serious... but yeah I think if you can source them and re-sell them for gain why not? It seems some people aren't smart enough... yet.

Yeah I only paid that much for them. It seems people on head-fi are willing to pay much more for them, and I am using that as a basis. I just got an offer for USD$200 shipped o_O I wasn't sure if he was serious... but yeah I think if you can source them and re-sell them for gain why not? It seems some people aren't smart enough... yet.

Well, being the one responsible for driving up the demand, I wouldn't feel right actually profitting off of that, even though it would be ridiculously easy. The funny part about it though, is it seems like the people who pay the crazy prices for them are usually the ones who don't even end up liking them that much, whereas the good deals are usually snagged by the people who do appreciate them.

Was the $200 offer from haarvi? That guy has more money than sense, and he's decided to get a sextett too.

Ahh glad to see I'm being painted as a lowballing asshole over here ;) K501s go for ~$110 all the time.. They're $175 still brand new on ebay and $150 for a mint pair would be about right. However, used K501s generally go for <$120.

The $250 on the HF-1 was a typo and meant to be $350.. thanks for being a really cool guy though :)

LOL kpeezy you know after I made the post I decided I'd double check if you were an active member of this forum and sure enough you were :)

I decided not to name you for obvious reasons... but you've done that yourself now hehehe :P I did reply to your PMs!

Well in either case, the HF-1s sold for USD$465 and the K501s are pending payment for AUD$165 or ~USD$140. Both of which I'm happy with.

I don't want to be known as a lowballer for no reason ;) Do some searches on the going rates... it's very very easy.

Looks like you edited your post so.. I"ll do the same... if you do a search for HF-1 and K501 in the FS sections, you'll see plenty of pairs going for the price I stated... $350 and ~$110. The patronizing e-happiness is kinda weird after first calling me some player looking to exploit you. Kinda weird.

LOL kpeezy you know after I made the post I decided I'd double check if you were an active member of this forum and sure enough you were :)

I decided not to name you for obvious reasons... but you've done that yourself now hehehe :P I did reply to your PMs!

Well in either case, the HF-1s sold for USD$465 and the K501s are pending payment for AUD$165 or ~USD$140. Both of which I'm happy with.

Wow...$140 is a good haul for stock K501s. I sold a K501 a couple weeks ago with K701 pads for $130 IIRC. It went pretty quick so I'm sure my price was too low. I also sold a Sextett in the same listing for $125. It was in great shape and I had just replaced the elastics. Again, I probably priced that too low. I feel so damn guilty if I make a profit on something, so I usually just try to break even.

I don't quite get the thinking going on here. You get upset when someone offers what you consider a lowball, yet are happy to sell at inflated prices but don't consider that fleecing. Double standards?

Not upset, just learning and discussing.

I'm trying to find what the market prices for these phones are ie what people are willing to pay.

When someone is clearly trying to make me believe that the market price is much lower than it really is this is what throws me off. Only momentarily, because as other more realistic offers come in I begin to realise the item's true worth. Of course, I acknowledge I'm partially to blame for not keeping an eye out on prices.

I don't really think I'm fleecing when several people offer me very high prices than historically seen. Eg. HF-1 they sold originally for USD$200 was it? Now it's nearly twice that because that's what the market will pay, and if the market today will pay substantially more than it did previously, I don't consider that fleecing, I consider that the new market value.

And that's what I set out to investigate.

if you do a search for HF-1 and K501 in the FS sections, you'll see plenty of pairs going for the price I stated... $350 and ~$110. The patronizing e-happiness is kinda weird after first calling me some player looking to exploit you. Kinda weird.

OK I didn't want to turn this into a public debate, but I thought the tongue in nature of my posts was quite evident. I replied to your messages and I didn't publicly name you as opposed to ignoring you and telling everyone who made the offer.

If you go into your sent items of your head-fi PM box, you will clearly see that you told me the HF-1s were worth $250-300. You claim the 250 was a typo and was supposed to be a 350 well i find it hard to believe you also dropped exactly 100 off the 400 which had now become a 300. If I received a mesage saying $250-400 your would sound more credible, but let's get real here. I was obviously naive, I even told you so in my reply and you tried to take advantage of it.

wth happened to my edit buttons?

anyway, for clarification I'm just going to mention that my HF-1s didn't go that much over market value because in addition to stock bowls they include c-pads (~120) flats (~$35) 2 sets of HD414 (~$20)

add those numbers to the assumed market value of a HF-1 which is ~$350 and take away some for being used and $465 isn't such a high price afterall

oh did I mention my prices include shipping? does that make me seem less of a capitalising, profiteering c*nt?

I quote you a very accurate selling price for K501s and make you an offer and then misquote you for HF-1s and then don't make an offer? Obviously I wasn't trying to rip you off or I would have said I wanted them for that price.

Just stop being lazy and use the search button... You could find an average selling price for both of those headphones in 2 minutes if you would stop being lazy.

Welcome to head-case, you can't edit posts after 5 minutes.

And for the record, I doubt anyone cares what you did or didn't sell your headphones for. That's between you and the buyer.

i see, that's a good feature come to think of it.

I don't know if anyone does care, but there's a few comments flying around so whatever gets the juices flowing for a discussion... i say why not.

no confidential information that i'm aware of

...and then misquote you for HF-1s and then don't make an offer? Obviously I wasn't trying to rip you off or I would have said I wanted them for that price...

you're full of crap. i'm quite over this, aren't you? you still haven't explained why you PMed me 250-300 if you're claiming it was a typo. oh wait, now you claim it was a misquote... but according to you it's so easy to research prices. take some of your own advice and you won't misquote in future

Just stop being lazy and use the search button...