β24 Amp

xand1x

Yes it is sweet.

However it absolutely violates Nelson Pass's SuSY patent.

(in fact so does my Uberamp)

So if he wants to sell boards, he had better talk to the man and

get permission first. TI ended up paying nelson big bucks to buy

his intellectual property on this issue.

I still think i can show prior art and that nelson's patent is null and void, but

that is a legal battle i would never want to fight.

Yes it is sweet.

However it absolutely violates Nelson Pass's SuSY patent.

(in fact so does my Uberamp)

Can you elaborate, Kevin? Have you told Ti about this?

So if he wants to sell boards, he had better talk to the man and

get permission first. TI ended up paying nelson big bucks to buy

his intellectual property on this issue.

I think it's worth clarifying in this case that TI means Texas Instruments, right? I know I got confused since amb's name is Ti.

No i have not said anything to Ti about this. He either should know about

it, or will soon. Ti ==== Ti Khan. TI ==== texas instruments

There was a very long thread on the nelson pass forum at diyaudio.com

which i'm sure is still there about how TI desperately tried to stear clear

of nelson's patents on a particular chip, but were unable to do so and ultimately

licenced nelson's patents.

I think that nelson is a reasonable person, and for diy like things

(as in virtually no commercial potential) he is likely to give his permission.

I have seen him do so in the past. But if you don't ask first, well....

Very nice...anyone want to buy the parts for my b22 speaker amp build? almost all done, minus some chassis work :rofl:

You all of a sudden think the 22 is a turd? I'd rather have the 22 quite frankly. Sure the 24 has more power but requires an active preamp (needs a low impedance on the input) up stream which in my book is kind of a downer. I'm guessing that if you're building a b22 speaker amp it'll be more than powerful enough unless you're driving something crazy with it.

LOL!

To my mind the 22 is the way to go for a headphone amp.

The 24 may be a better selection for not so efficient speakers, but there are lots of fish in that pond if you ask me.

Not saying it wouldn't be a great speaker amp, but it'll have a heck of a lot more competition than the 22 IMO.

LOL!

To my mind the 22 is the way to go for a headphone amp.

The 24 may be a better selection for not so efficient speakers, but there are lots of fish in that pond if you ask me.

I think what some folks are forgetting so far is that the construction cost of the 24 is going to be pretty significant (at least from what I see). Most importantly you're now talking about having to get custom heat sinks for both the amp and probably the power supplies. I'm not saying that I won't build one at some point but it'll be a good long while before I even think about it.

seems pretty underkill for low efficiency speakers.

I think we need to wait and see exactly how that power rating was come by and what the true potential of the amp is. When the beta22 first launched I don't think it was widely known that with a little tweaking you can get 50WPC of pure class A power out of it. My guess is that the 100WPC one might get out of the 24 isn't all that's available. ;D

Design of the B24 and my uberamp of about 6 years ago, virtually identical.

Especially the cross coupled feedback with all the benefits from that.

Uberamp scales very nice up to about 800 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

With appropriate parts and +/-125 volt rails the B24 will do the same thing.

Plan on many square feet of heatsink. And a power transformer that requires

2 people to lift it.

As shown it is good for at least 100 real watts rms per channel into 8 ohms.

Somehow I get the funny feeling that in a few years once the public discovers him, I will not be able to afford any of Justin's amps at all. I was wondering if he will consider offering futures on his amps. For example we could purchase a futures contract today for delivery of a yet to be thought of design for six years from now. Justin.....are you there? Whadddajaaaa say???

Somehow I get the funny feeling that in a few years once the public discovers him, I will not be able to afford any of Justin's amps at all. I was wondering if he will consider offering futures on his amps. For example we could purchase a futures contract today for delivery of a yet to be thought of design for six years from now. Justin.....are you there? Whadddajaaaa say???

:rofl: count me in.

Looks like amb got Nelson Pass' permission to go ahead with this, which is good. I would have been surprised if Nelson had said no, as he does probably the most of any of the big commercial designers in terms of promoting DIY...

Agreed, that is really good news. I do wonder what will happen if someone like Rockhopper or MisterX decides to build and sell the finished product. That might not go over so well.

Agreed, that is really good news. I do wonder what will happen if someone like Rockhopper or MisterX decides to build and sell the finished product. That might not go over so well.

I've always wondered why these people can "sell" amb's stuff personally, as he has a very similar disclaimer on his website about for personal use only, no commercial-use, etc..