β24 Amp

xand1x

I've always wondered why these people can "sell" amb's stuff personally, as he has a very similar disclaimer on his website about for personal use only, no commercial-use, etc..

It's a thin line, but amb encourages people who can't build the amps themselves to hire someone to do it, and gives links to thrice, misterx, etc.

I've always wondered why these people can "sell" amb's stuff personally, as he has a very similar disclaimer on his website about for personal use only, no commercial-use, etc..

I've always asked for Ti's permission to sell his designs. It's never been a problem. I'd like to think that if Ti had a problem with my builds/prices he would tell me.

More people get to hear these amps because MisterX and I build them. I think I'm responsible for a little over 100 M^3 amps and god knows how many Mini3 amps right now. That's a bunch of people that might not have had a chance to own/hear those amps. They're designs worth hearing.

Just to re-emphasize what thrice said, with the previous amb designs permission was always gotten by the two builders I mentioned. What I found unique about this case was that given that the design is essentially being produced with Pass's permission it might be a bit different if someone wanted to build them for sale, which would be a bummer. I happen to think that both thrice and MisterX provide a valuable service to the community at large. I hope that in no way my comments cast a disparaging light on either of them since that's the furtherest from what I intended.

I've always asked for Ti's permission to sell his designs. It's never been a problem. I'd like to think that if Ti had a problem with my builds/prices he would tell me.

More people get to hear these amps because MisterX and I build them. I think I'm responsible for a little over 100 M^3 amps and god knows how many Mini3 amps right now. That's a bunch of people that might not have had a chance to own/hear those amps. They're designs worth hearing.

Have you noticed several Japanese buyers lately? I made sure to mention you when I brought up the mini^3 a while back.

Yes the blurb on my web site about "commercial use prohibited without prior permission" is there to discourage companies from taking my work (and those who contributed) without at least some namesake recognition. That said, I do make a distinction between a commercial vendor and DIYFS people like thrice and MisterX, who have other primary jobs. They do the amp-building at night and on weekends, with a meager markup for their efforts. I don't treat them to be in the same league as, say, HeadRoom, RSA or even HeadAmp (albeit Justin is a one-man shop), and provide a great community service to those who cannot DIY.

As for β24, Nelson Pass' patent and what it might imply for DIYFS, I don't know. When the design becomes more nailed down, I think it would be prudent to confer with NP again about it. At least there is one thing I am fairly sure of, is that the β24 will be rare enough that no commercial vendor, even Pass Labs, would be losing market share...