Oppo or Denon for SACD/DVD-A?

deepak

I've finally accumulated enough SACD and DVD-A titles that both of these players are cheap enough to probably warrant a purchase. A used 2900 on Audiogon is roughly $200. And there are so many Oppo models I don't know which are the good ones. Video playback doesn't matter, it won't be used. Or any other options in the $200 range that I didn't think of. I like a slightly warmer sound, not the stereotypical "digital playback", so from reading this is sort of pushing me towards the Denons.

Modding capability is a plus since I wouldn't be opposed to that in the future. Basically I'm tired of spending so long figuring out the copy protection on DVD-A discs tearing my hair out trying to rip them to my PC >:( (plus one of my favorite bands is continuing to heavily support DVD-A).

IIRC, the 2910 is a considered a step down from the 2900... It's a misleading model number because they recofigured their line and the 2900 is more in line with the 3910 than the 2910.

The only thing that I can add is that Ian had a 2910 and was pretty unimpressed with it for redbook playback. High-res might be a different story though.

I was very unimpressed with the 2910 for redbook. Blah!

Has to have DVD-A. Those modding companies charge quite a bit. If anything I'll probably just replace the output stage with either a Zap or something tubed. 95% of my music listening is still redbook, which I have a pretty nice system for.

The modding the Denon was meant to be as a joke although I much prefer the modifications by Modwright and eXemplar and R. Kern over anything that deal with the Zap Filter. The 2900 is built significantly better than the 2910 if you want to pick the Denon. You might want to look into Pioneer universal units as well. I own the A47i and A59i and think of them pretty highly. Although both units were modded by Modwright.