APureSound KSC-75s. Anybody have impressions?

oicdn

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it made the KSC-75 better, but not up to the level of $150 headphones, closed or open. The built-in 75 Ohm impedance was nice, too. Extremely flexible and durable cable - much better than previous aftermarket cables I've had.

People spend the same amount of money on HD650 cable upgrades, and considering the time I spent with the KSC-75 when I used it as my primary office headphone, the recabling job was quite bliss.

I bought the KSC-75s as a replacement for my Ety er6i headphones that I left on a plane, as a stop gap until my wife let me buy I could afford the ER4Ps. I really hated them by the end - and never understood why they have so many fans... uncomfortable / painful, easily broken, sounded annoyingly unrevealing compared to anything I would call 'audiophile'. The only thing that would make them more annoying would be to spend $$$ on them and then comtemplate all the other things I could have bought or saved up for with the money :)

Although I haven't heard the modified product... $158 cables for $25 cabs just sounds like the ultimate upsell... madness! "Would sir like some virgin hand-reared unicorn milk with your Nescafe coffee?"

The ksc75s aren't supposed to be audiophile headphones. They're supposed to be decent euphonic headphones that sound better than they should for the price. If you get them expecting revealing, you'll definitely be disappointed. I like my ksc75s for what they are: headphones to leave in my laptop bag for when I need headphones and can't be cutoff from the world.

^^^

a fair point. Although I can't help but bring up the fact that these have been suggested as a candidate in the sticky 'best headphones' thread and so someone thinks they are audiophile I guess.

Anyway, while I do take your point, it seems we both agree that they shouldn't have $158 spent on them to make them sound better?

^^^

a fair point. Although I can't help but bring up the fact that these have been suggested as a candidate in the sticky 'best headphones' thread and so someone thinks they are audiophile I guess.

Anyway, while I do take your point, it seems we both agree that they shouldn't have $158 spent on them to make them sound better?

No I think people can do anything they want.

well the recable cost is about the same for any other headphone

it's just that in this case the relative price for the cable is much higher than say on a phone worth a thousand

i guess the impedance increase does something to the sound... i don't know how much the impedance adaptors sell for normally but yeah...

Impedance adapters are quite cheap I think. The issue with the KSC-75 is that it's a prime case for diminishing returns, considering that the ratio of "price of upgrade / base price" is huge. But cable upgrades costs are kind of fixed (more or less), so with that in mind, I think it was worth it as long as you don't expect too much.

Don't expect the recabling to make the $20 KSC75 comparable to $250 headphones as it won't do that -- perhaps comparable to $150 headphones (I don't have any for comparison :D) but not $250 (e.g., HD600, DT990).

I bought a KSC75 from newegg and had newegg send it directly to Alex for the job. I did it because I wanted the best sounding clip-ons for office use. Clip-on means no headphone hair and open means I can hear someone who knocks on my door.

While I haven't done a comparo to my stock KSC75, the APureSound KSC75, needless to say, sound much better than the stock. The overall sound is more crisp and sound separation is better. The APureSound KSC75 sound very good, and I like it better than my bass-challenged Audio Technica EW9 which is probably a better comparison (similar price, both clip-ons).

If someone asks about the value proposition of the APureSound KSC75, then you're asking the wrong question. You don't recable a headphone believing that it's a cheaper way of getting better sound. As others and I have implied already, if you want the sound of a $150 headphone, then go buy a $150 headphone. If you want to refine and improve upon the KSC75 sound, then, as commonly said on HC, dew eet.

I could see a ksc-35 recable, but ksc-75 is the suck. Well really neither of these headphones have the resolution or scalability to make it worth it.

Biggie.

I frankly don't care about rewiring for myself. I also don't care whether anyone thinks they are resolving/scalable, I like how they sound and that's a lot more important. ;D

Biggie how does the KSC35 compare to the SR-60? IMO the SR-60 is much, much better than the KSC75.

sr60 is more detailed, has more prat, better imaging and more sparkle in the highs. I use flat pads on the sr60's. They both have nice tone, but the sr60 has more of a hump in the upper mids. The ksc-35's has more bass. Neither has good bass detail. Only the ksc-35's fit in my pocket though so I give them the nod for on the go.

Biggie.

There ya go. I don't like the SR-60 or SR-125. I prefer the MS-1 to both and I still prefer the KSC-75 to all of them. However, it's still a long way from my staxes and K1000s which I prefer to all else I've heard.

Guess I'm not a Grado type, and in the interest of fairness, I'm not a Sennheiser type either. ;D