Beware! IC eating cats on the loose!

Guest sacd lover

Guest sacd lover

These two make look innocent. But, they are interconnect chewing machines. One of them chewed up another pair of my irreplaceable siver/ gold alloy hybrid IC's today. I just sent Zach a pair of Gold alloy IC's they chewed completely through a few weeks ago. Before that they dined on a couple Oehlbach Senn cables, a pair of gold alloy, a silver hybrid and yet another gold alloy. Can anybody think of something I can put on the cables to discourage this behavoir? Nothing poison :kitty: .... but something that would taste really bad. :P

HPIM0187-1.jpg

HPIM0548.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That bottom picture looks like they are saying "Go ahead, replace them. We're just gonna chew 'em up again."

Yeah, wiping them down with Tobasco or some such may work but it might wear off too. When we adopted the two Hell kittens from a local shelter, they tried chewing through the electrical cords in our bedroom. I went to Home Depot and bought foam pipe insulation and surrounded all of the cords. But that might be hard on IC's and headphone cables especially.

It is a big problems for me too, not with interconnects, my headphone cables. :rant:

They love my Etys and KSCs, however, their all-time fave chew toy is the cloth covered Stax SR-X wires, especially when it's playing. The thing was looking decidedly frayed before I swapped drivers and cables to less appealing rubberized versions.

Pity they never made it all the way past the insulation, nothing says "NO" like a few hundred volts running through your teeth >:D

little pricks. ;D

I misread the title of your thread -- I thought you were putting an interest check on the cats because they were eating your interconnects.

Cayenne pepper is a good suggestion -- any hot stuff is good, cats don't like it.

Hirsch has some interconnects that look like they are made out of braided chain mail. You should get those (they also happen to be some kickass interconnects).

i used bitter apple on my cables, cat took one chew, and stopped

My dog is pretty timid. When he was a puppy, he didn't eat anything but I did use bitter apple as a precaution.

How about try all these different ways, or combine it.. and.. see if it works.. (becafeful not to poison ur pets >.<)

I've been lucky I guess. Even my new cat knows not to mess with my stuff, though my last cat ruined a few unattended tubes I had lying about, but that was my fault for leaving rolling object on a table.
I have been lucky with interconnects and speaker cables and power cords as well. But substitute "shoelaces" for "tubes" and "them hanging" for "rolling object on a table" in the above sentence.

Guest sacd lover

Well .... I went to get the bitter apple and I found a bitter lime gel . The gel seems safer than a spray around electronics, so that is what I bought. I found another IC they had started to chew on too. :rant: