Hey Postjack, recommend some good Genesis albums

Chekhonte

If I can only recommend one Collins-era album, its the double live album Seconds Out. As far as studio albums are concerned, A Trick Of The Tail is probably my favorite (the Atco Japan Diament master is marvelous), but I also love love LOVE Abacab, but at that point the band is more pop then prog.

If you want to check out the Gabriel-era stuff, Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and Selling England By The Pound are the two go to albums.

I think if I take some antacid beforehand, I can stomach some of genesis' earlier works. Which ones would you recommend? I'm trying to get over my anti-Phil Collins/Genesis attitude.

Their earlier work is with Peter Gabriel not Phil Collins.

Selling England by the Pound is my favorite, and I could easily live with that album alone if I had to.

The Peter Gabriel-era Genesis is overshadowed by four albums: Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme, Selling England by the Pound and And the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

I kind of really like the quartet period of Genesis the most: A Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering and Seconds Out (seconded as a recommendation of "if you're only going to get one, get this one -- not only does it capture the live Genesis energy well, it's a nice cross-section of their music from both periods).

...and Seconds Out (seconded as a recommendation of "if you're only going to get one, get this one -- not only does it capture the live Genesis energy well, it's a nice cross-section of their music from both periods).

And Collins does a pretty good Gabriel impression on this album as well. ;)

And Collins does a pretty good Gabriel impression on this album as well. ;)
Agreed. The transition as vocalist was seamless. The first x-many times I heard "More Fool Me", I thought it was Peter Gabriel. And on that live album, Collins does a wonderful job covering vocal duties for songs that were originally sung by Peter.

Seconds Out is just an awesome album, period. I used to like Wind and Wuthering, A Trick of the Tail, etc. alot as well, but it has been a long time since I have listened to them. I was never a Gabriel-era or Collins-era bigot, and enjoy stuff from both periods. I think that Phil did a phenomenal job on Seconds Out, both vocally and drumming (the whole band for that matter).

The earlier Genesis Live album (with Gabriel in his Watcher of the Skies garb on the cover IIRC) is quite good for old-school Genesis. Seems to be very low compression level and it is a very dynamic album (mine is LP; never listened to a CD version of this).