closed cans!

CD44hi

I originally bought the ESW9s for work as they are closed, portable, and can be used with or without an amp. The isolation isn't the best, but I wanted to be able to hear phones ring and co-workers calling my name, and no one can hear what I'm listening to when sitting next to me. I'd rank all my home headphones over them for sq, but I'm still loving these little headphones. I wouldn't call them airy at all, which is what you said you wanted, but they have good extension in both highs and lows, decent detail and separation, decent soundstage, and are extremely enjoyable for most music I listen to, and from what I've learned of your tastes, would do pretty well with what you like. The only other closed headphones I've owned are Darth Beyers, K340s, and R10s, none of which I'd recommend or at least not for work.

The K340 isn't really all that closed, it's more of a semi-open design. It isolates a little bit but it leaks sound everywhere.

Yup.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the Stax 4070? Never heard one but heard good things about it. Seems to be a candidate for future FOTM on That Other Forum.

The 4070 is the best closed headphone I've ever heard and it manages to be the best monitor headphone there is. It is a power hog but still sounds good on Stax amps and other low power designs but needs the grunt of the Blue Hawaii to really strut its stuff. It will never challenge the SR-007 or the SR-Omega but it gives the Sennheiser HE's a good run for their money. It is also a marvel of engineering (as closed ESL has always been the holy grail) and it shows just how good the SR-404 driver really is when freed from that awful Lambda housing.

I am going to give the w1000 a try. I owned the W2002 and I liked them with a MPX3 amp I had at the time. The catch will be on the synergy between the Grace m902, that I use at work, and which ever closed headphone I'll try.

So the w1000 is the first one up to the task on round one, :), ultrasones will be probably next, if necessary...

So, yeah, I've also heard about the 4070 being a very good closed option. But for this project, closed can for the work rig, no electrostats.

Suggestions for closed headphones Please~?

I am looking for "airy*" sounding closed cans to use at work. I have heard the A900, 950LTD and did not quite like'em. I owned the L3K and liked them, but those are somewhat out of budget for this project.

W5000 are maybe a possibility (although the last time I heard them was so long ago that my recollection may be completely wrong....).

Any other closed cans that should be considered? Suggestions and comments are sought and most welcomed! Thanks!

*by this I mean clean highs and sweet midrange :)

UE9 is not where I'd look for what you seem to be asking for, based on my experience of them. I haven't been all that impressed with UE thus far (although I've only tried the 750 and UE9).

Based on my experience, I would choose either the W5000 or K271S. Velour pads definitely upped the comfort on the 271 for me; I really like these pads. 271s isolate better than the W5000, and the 5000 hangs more loosely (and leaks more). I got the 271 specifically because I wanted more isolation, both in _and_ out (e.g. what I think you're looking for), and it does about as good a job as I've encountered in that regard as far as circumaural headphones go. Plus, they really just sound great. I'm not a big basshead, though, so I find the bass pretty satisfying; it does get better with some break-in (e.g. driver hysteresis). The overall presentation is more balanced, open, and airy than a lot of closed cans I've used. I don't generally like closed headphones, but these won me over. The W5000 has more low end presence although I'm not sure if the mids are as clean and balanced. They also cost a lot more. Still, I like the W5K also :)

Here is my comparison of the ATH-W5000 with the Ultrasone Edition 9. Note that I had the W5000 matching HA5000 for this comparison and still came to the conclusion that I preferred the Edition 9s.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2990507-post3521.html

If you want a taste of the Ultrasone Edition 9 for a lot less money try out the new HFI-780 which is very close to the UE9 in sound profile.

You know, funny thing about the search of good synergy is that sometimes it is found in places least expected...

So last night I decided to whip out of the closet an older pair of Grado SR-325 [with hp-1000 type of drivers/S-UWBR cable]. Well, they sound great out of the m902. This really got me by surprise since in my experience the hp-1000 drivers are really neutral sounding, and so is the m902. So pre-emptively I thought that the combination will sound too neutral (read boring), however, no, not really. This combination has great synergy! That reminded me of Joe Grado saying the Grace was a great headphone amp. So probably he also found this combination to be worthy.... So all and all this is a great finding, albeit doesn't really solves the issue of having a proper headphone to use at work.

But anyhow, before you thing that I am crapping my own thread.... there is a connection here: Now I wonder if the W1000, been in the more "dynamic," energetic, treble side, will be too much with the m902. But I guess will know soon :)

UE9 is not where I'd look for what you seem to be asking for, based on my experience of them. I haven't been all that impressed with UE thus far (although I've only tried the 750 and UE9).

Based on my experience, I would choose either the W5000 or K271S. Velour pads definitely upped the comfort on the 271 for me; I really like these pads. 271s isolate better than the W5000, and the 5000 hangs more loosely (and leaks more). I got the 271 specifically because I wanted more isolation, both in _and_ out (e.g. what I think you're looking for), and it does about as good a job as I've encountered in that regard as far as circumaural headphones go. Plus, they really just sound great. I'm not a big basshead, though, so I find the bass pretty satisfying; it does get better with some break-in (e.g. driver hysteresis). The overall presentation is more balanced, open, and airy than a lot of closed cans I've used. I don't generally like closed headphones, but these won me over. The W5000 has more low end presence although I'm not sure if the mids are as clean and balanced. They also cost a lot more. Still, I like the W5K also :)

That is my feeling as well from my brief experience with the ultrasone trackmaster's but I'll keep an open mind. I'll try them out if available at a meet or such.

My feeling with the AT is that it is all about synergy.... The L3k was great headphone in my rig. (I just was not using them enough to justify keeping them). The w2002 I do regret selling. They fitted me well. I should probably at least audition the W5000.

The AKGs, I shall try in the future, with velvet and everything....

I originally bought the ESW9s for work as they are closed, portable, and can be used with or without an amp. The isolation isn't the best, but I wanted to be able to hear phones ring and co-workers calling my name, and no one can hear what I'm listening to when sitting next to me. I'd rank all my home headphones over them for sq, but I'm still loving these little headphones. I wouldn't call them airy at all, which is what you said you wanted, but they have good extension in both highs and lows, decent detail and separation, decent soundstage, and are extremely enjoyable for most music I listen to, and from what I've learned of your tastes, would do pretty well with what you like. The only other closed headphones I've owned are Darth Beyers, K340s, and R10s, none of which I'd recommend or at least not for work.

Yup.

Yep, I should also agree with the point of being able to discern what's going on around it is important! heh.

Another plus for the ESWs is the size, either easy to store at work or to lug around.

:)

Sigh... nevermind. Figured it out. But surely a quick tip doesn't hurt? You can't really blame me, that the most logical thing to do is to use their embedded chart directly...

Sigh... welcome to the really real world where people are encouraged to actually solve a problem every now and then with just a couple of hints.

Sometimes I'll cue something up on the iPod that I'm listening to on CD so I know it'll get scrobbled when I sync it with Last.fm. Not usually, but sometimes.

actually thats not a bad idea. No good for my vinyl only albums, but I certainly own plenty of digital/analog duplicates. thanks for the tip.

I always feel a little foolish when I take the time to do it. But it's not like it takes that much effort, so when I think of it and the iPod is handy I'll do it.

Hell, I feel foolish when I even bother opening last.fm, especially when it starts messing with my ASIO settings, and I have to close it, reopen foobar/winamp, then reopen it, but damnit, I want my audio statistics recorded and made available on the internet for all to see! ;)