AKG 701

acs236

I was referring to the sound of SA5K through the G-Lite, SuperMacro, and SR-71 as well in my most recent post. (Where I concluded that the upper bass is tight while the lower bass is uncontrolled.) Oh, I remember I've heard the cans through a PIMETA as well. Same effect. Of course, these four amplifiers are on the low-fi end of the spectrum. I need to try out some higher end amplifiers for once. :P

My K701 is now shipping. I have no idea what to expect but judging by the varying comments on the boards I guess these are fit / ear-configuration-sensitive beyond the likes of the SA5K or the HD650. I'm hoping for something slightly more "woken up" than the HD650. Less bass won't worry me much.

I presume the reason why these aren't fited with AKG's standard miniXLR jack is that these have two ground wires?

Guest sacd lover

I am still exceedingly pleased with the 701's. If you have an amp with enough bass response these headphones are stunning. They sound good with tubes or solid state as long as you dont try to drive them to hard. I noticed these have a 200ma maximum and that may be the culprit with some of the bass anomolies. The 701 doesnt overload gracefully or this headphone loves current. :-\

• 1 month later...

I'm really quite happy with my K701s. I actually wish they had _less_ bass, but I can live with the level they have. They don't seem to be getting more bass as I use them more, but I know people insist that they get more as burn-in continues *shrug*.

I agree with people who say they're good all-rounder, but I disagree that they don't excel in any way. Between the SA5000, CD3000, K501, and K701 on episiarch's home rig, I thought the 701 excelled in terms of instrument separation while maintaining an involving sound to it with good response across the spectrum. That's really what it's excellence, I've found, is. It combines multiple pleasing qualities into one thing *shrug*. It could stand to excel more in certain areas, but I don't think that means it isn't excelling in other ways. The CD3000 definitely reminded me of my experience with the R10, where I felt like some of my music was getting so 'busy' that I almost felt like I wasn't listening to music and was just lost in some sort of cacaphony. That happened _BIG TIME_ on Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' for me, and I was using the MFSL version which IMHO works *against* this sort of feeling, versus the original.

I've also found my PINT drives it really well, for whatever reason.

Honestly, these continue to be among my favorites. Problem is that since the GS-1K's arrived, nothing else is getting much time! I think, for me, the bottom line with the 701's is that they really are "balanced". Nothing really stands out and nothing seems lacking/deficient. Just wonderful all around cans. Problem for me is it's hard to keep so many cans when they aren't given the air time they deserve but which ones do I sell?? Tough choice to be sure. I love 'em all but for different reasons.