AKG K500

Tony

I was thinking about getting a good vintage AKG, and it seems the K500 is able to sound very good.

It doesn't seem to have the Sextett has on headfi, but it still seems better sounding than K501 or K701, and in need of less amplification.

What do you guys think?

• 4 weeks later...

It's actually quite similar to the K501, despite the different manufacturing process for the drivers, but edges it out slightly. It's what you'd get if you took a K501, and made the sound a little smoother and more balanced. I still like the K501 more for strings because of it's more crisp / detailed sound, but I prefer the K500 in general.

The K701 doesn't even factor into the comparison, it's in its own little la-la land.

The K701 is sort of like a K501 for people who didn't like the K501. They took away a lot of what made the K501 special in order to improve upon the most common complaints people had of the K501.

My preferences lean the same way as Steve though: I generally prefer the umpteen variations of AKG's studio phones using K240-style drivers more than the K501-style audiophile phones.

I've been meaning to try the k500/501/240s, but I've always backed out either due to lack of funds/ funds in the wrong form (didn't have paypal access in the past), or my fear I'd break the phone while trying to replace some of the parts.

Been unhappy with the hd600s for while, going to try a few cables (Yes I know cables won't miraculously completely change the headphone's signature-- but some still say the cables are needed to help them shine) . If they don't sit with me, I'm saying goodbye to the phone. Have had the hd600's for far too long, always deciding at the last second not to sell, incase I'd regret it later on. After that, try the k240s/500s and decide if I want to get rid of the k701s.