New Member Seeking Asylum!

gtp

Hello Everybody,

My name is George. I have been lurking here for a few months, and have finally decided to join at the suggestion of Guzziguy (Ken). Guzziguy, Fungi, and I live in the same town and have had a few local meets.

I have been a HF member for 2-3 years, but I am tired of the same inane debates and fanboys. There is just way too much noise for any real info.

A bit of personal info about me:

-32 y.o.

-PhD in applied physics

-Cancer+chemotherapy survivor

-Father to a 1.1 y.o. daughter

Being a scientific-type, I am allergic to audio snake-oil and psychoacoustic phenomena (e.g. "my tomahawk sounded good at 159 hours but at 713 hours it sounded soooo much better").

I enjoy building DIY amps, having built several Mini^3, XP-amps, Pimetas, CMoys, and most recently a CKKIII.

My equipment tends to be more midfi and budget conscious, but I hope I can still contribute to the community here.

My equipment tends to be more midfi and budget conscious, but I hope I can still contribute to the community here.

Welcome to head-case George! It sounds like you will fit in just fine here. :)

Actually I think the majority of the regular posters around here probably fall more into the mid-fi realm, though we are very happy to have our high-fi friends around as well.

If it's green and wiggles, it's biology.

If it stinks, it's chemistry.

If it doesn't work, it's physics.

WTF??? Now you've offended me. I am leaving this forum. Have a great life.

And anyway, I am an "applied physicist", which means I am like an engineer but I actually know how things work :P.

I have none - 10 years of studying physics strips a person of all humor related to physics.

OK, OK, out of my deepest recesses I remember this one:

A neutron walks into a bar and asks the bartender "How much for a beer." The bartender says "For you, no charge."

EDIT: and another one...this one from David Goodstein at Caltech:

All quantized units have names ending in -ons, like phot-ons, electr-ons, phon-ons, prot-ons, etc. Even quantized units of people are called pers-ons.

And anyway, I am an "applied physicist", which means I am like an engineer but I actually know how things work :P.

Phah, try that line in the cables forum at (place that shall not be named) and see how far it gets you ;D hehe

Oh, and Asylum? yep!

Reks will be sending your club jacket soon.

jo-0009.jpg

Hey George! Welcome to Head-case and sorry about your thin skin! You mean to say that your Mini-3 isn't still getting better? You probably didn't use a big enough capacitor in it. Or maybe you forgot to add the magic aging dust.

We can have the next mini-meet as soon as I convince Frank Cooter to have it at his house. He has that small DIY amp that you and Hiroshi should hear. I should hear it again too. >:D Then we can tell him about this place. He'll like the DIY emphasis here.