The Emmeline II B-52

tiberian

i really wonder how is ray going to sell the B52.

a pimped out headroom balanced home is 3.1k, headamp GS-X is 1.8k, and a stock singlepower supra xlr is 3k. duh.

I hope I can keep the price at 1.8k. Something about the GS-X is very appealing in the Japanese market, and I was approached by two distributors specifically for that amp, one of them asking to place an order for 10 units. I had to turn them down because I would have had to sell each amp for the cost of parts, and done all of the labor for free.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope I can keep the price at 1.8k. Something about the GS-X is very appealing in the Japanese market, and I was approached by two distributors specifically for that amp, one of them asking to place an order for 10 units. I had to turn them down because I would have had to sell each amp for the cost of parts, and done all of the labor for free.

can't you just charge the distributors 1.8k, and have them mark up the price in the Japanese market accordingly? I know zu cable does that in Hong Kong.

I think it's the look, you seem to have hit gold as far as that sleek japanese style goes.

You may just make it a little different from the US version and then set the price higher in Japan. Name it a little bit different as well but don't confuse people by the name.

Japanese accept HA5000 even it sells around 1000USD there. It would be quite normal for them even if GSX has a market price over 2000USD.

Justin -- your best bet was what you did -- to have turned them down. 10 units is not enough to do it at a loss ("...labor for free..." == "at a loss", in my book). I think it'd be worth it if you could break even, to break into the Japanese market.

Back to the B-52 -- why are the knobs so yellow? They look fake. They don't look like gold, they don't look like brass, they look like...well, "piss" comes to mind.

remember the days of a balanced HR amp seemed to cost alot of money? these days thanks to custom amp companies or other companies coming out with amps at $7k makes your GSX look Value priced. Tyll has said before when you go balanced expect to pay, and I agree with him. thinking about a true balanced source,true balanced amp,custom cabling and stuff is money. the market for balanced is growing slowly and your GSX fits in perfect,esp when you release the modules you did and it becomes more known..

as far as the B52 I agree with others in saying not alot of headfi'ers are going to do it, then again just because it has the balanced head outs does not mean the buyers tend to use them at all..I would think most people who buy the B52 will be speaker guys using it as a pre. look at the stealth, to a headfi its way overpriced to a speaker guy its under priced..

most headphones users are people with stock Ibuds or close to,my guess would atleast 90% of people in the world using headphones. another 5% maybe would be studios or dj's in the pro market. headfi'ers I cant see making up more then 3 or 4% of the headphone market..

whats even better is the headphone market is a joke compared to the mid to high speaker market, way more money and way more people willing to spend some cash.

Like I told you I am not buying the B52 as a headphone amp, why would I need another RSA headphone amp, esp at this cost, its the preamp I want.

then again nobody knows what its going to finally cost, its very scary to me now..eekkk!

speaking of which when the fuck are you doing the modules? how are they coming along? you better still have my #001 GSX..I am coming back for her ;)

Like I told you I am not buying the B52 as a headphone amp, why would I need another RSA headphone amp, esp at this cost, its the preamp I want.

I dunno billy, there are so many better REAL tube/solid state balanced preamps available

Here are three

Audio research LS17 all tubes $3995

BAT VK30 all tubes $2995

Pass Labs X2.5 solid state $3990

All of which have a low output impedance and are actually capable of driving

cables and power amps.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, the price is pretty crazy.

I mean, my new balanced amp is going to probably cost me one fifth of that when all is said and done... and if it is not three or four times better than the B-52, I will be absolutely shocked.

Thats some good math there. ;D

Your balanced amp came in at around $1000 with tubes? Good deal...

holy shiet, $5,350 dollars, but act now and get it for the ultra low price of $4,500. I guess Ray is expecting to sell at least 10 of them? Quite pricey, I must say...

Ya think? The Raptor is $1200 or so. The B-52 which is basically 2 Raptors is going for the special low price of $4500. Gotta love that math. ::)

Ya think? The Raptor is $1200 or so. The B-52 which is basically 2 Raptors is going for the special low price of $4500. Gotta love that math. ::)

it's still way more expensive than the headroom balanced max, headamp GS-X, and the stock singlepower supra XLR.

The technology involved in the pre-amp/headphone amp chassis of the B-52 is so advanced and intuitive it is dazzling.

WHOA. hahaha.

actually 2 raptors and a stealth..oddly fits in the pricing..wild and weird.

Hey fuck you people your not the person who has one of these sitting behind you rite now.

Rite now I am sick (got worse then when I posted on headfi) and to be honest I almost had a heart attack after buying the g08..but this...$4,500 for pre/head for me personaly is like more shock then anything. I dont regret my purchase but I never spent so much on one peice of gear before.

what I am scared about is that this $4500 might set a new standard for future buying of gear, which means one day I may look at a used pair of CARY v12 mono's at $6000.00 and think thats nothing to spend..or maybe $10,000 on a Meridan G08..well you get my point, I am scarred this price will set a level and anything around this level will be a "thats not expensive" type..

I listened to the b52 last night, it kept me hooked on my entire cd collection most of the night, sounds nice with the 600's..but like I said I cant judge it now cause I am sick and my ears are not in the mood. and people complained about having only 30 days to try out a hornet...fuck you tack on $4200 on that and start your 30 days being sick..lol

if it is two raptors and a stealth, the pricing makes much more sense, from a retail perspective. congrats on liking your newest purchase, Billy.

thank you..I am just having buyers remorse..I get this with buying cars and like I said the g08 made me sick the day I ordered her.

you people out in ohio should take a listen to her sometime, I think a meet in the upcoming months should happen.

Your balanced amp came in at around $1000 with tubes? Good deal...
Yeah, it still needs some work, but it sounds great. :)

It was actually cheaper than that, but when you factor in the parts I bought and such it comes out to somewhere in that area. It will likely cost more like $1500 when all is said and done as I am already thinking about upgrading it. A 4 channel singlepower stepped attenuator and some better ouptut caps would be yummy. :D

PS. I would appreciate if we keep that price here, as it was a special deal Peter gave me due to the custom nature of the project and my patience. It will likely be quite a bit more expensive if it ever goes to production.

Guest sacd lover

Hey speaking of new amps tkams 6528 amp was going through final tuning when I talked to Mikhail tonight. He is playing with the voltage .... I think it was going to go up for a little more kick. :mikey2: