The Emmeline II B-52

tiberian

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray has been working hard on this one, and for quite some time. Wanted it out before the GSX, that did not happen.

Definitely balanced and from what i'm told, solid state. Which probably means 2 x hr2 in one box.

Ray has so little clue in general (like the balanced output on his phono preamp) that he is bound to get

this wrong too.

I'm sure he will show it at the april show, and of course it will be the most wonderfulest thing ever.

Wait, if its emmeline II then it has to be tubes. That should be even worse.

Well, the National Meet sure is shaping up to be a doozy in product announcement terms, not that I can blame anyone with half a business mind for doing it that way. With HR's "new stuff" and Resistor-Ray's Balanced Bomber it won't be lacking, that's for sure. I wonder if Single Power will bring the SS amp I've been hearing about?

Nate

Ray has so little clue in general (like the balanced output on his phono preamp) that he is bound to get

this wrong too.

Kevin-

I am sincerely curious about this comment and wonder if you can explain what is wrong with the balanced output on the XR-10B. I am no RSA fanboy but I did get a very good deal on an XR-10B and think it sounds great using the balanced outs. Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks, Al

Kevin-

I am sincerely curious about this comment and wonder if you can explain what is wrong with the balanced output on the XR-10B. I am no RSA fanboy but I did get a very good deal on an XR-10B and think it sounds great using the balanced outs. Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks, Al

If I'm not mistaken, I think he's talking about XR-10B using some chips turn an unbalanced signal into balanced.

Correct, the xr10b is completely an unbalanced amplifier with a drv134 as the unbalanced to balanced converter.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/drv134.html

Most people i've talked to consider the high frequency end to be significantly over exaggerated.

In addition the low frequency rumble filter is missing.

Put this thing on a system with Wilsons and rumble city and seriously flapping woofers.

Which cause the woofers to fail in short order.

In addition the riaa curve is not very accurate.

It could have been so much more. Since a phono cart can really be considered a balanced source, the

whole thing could have and should have been balanced, input to output. There are some phono sections

that cost significantly less that are...

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/xr10bs.gif

Now back to the bomber. the B52 is a fitting name. Designed and built from the 1940's thru the end of the 1950's

it truely is an anchient history piece. ;D

Thanks for the responses Salty and KG. Not that it is something I really want to hear, but I might as well know what's going on in the box. I will say there is a fair amount of low frequency rumble, but I was attributing that to other things.

Sorry for the off-topic distraction. I will be interested to hear the B-52 in action, but I am much more interested in hearing the GS-X and Rudi's new balanced amp at the meet.

Correct, the xr10b is completely an unbalanced amplifier with a drv134 as the unbalanced to balanced converter.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/drv134.html

Most people i've talked to consider the high frequency end to be significantly over exaggerated.

In addition the low frequency rumble filter is missing.

Put this thing on a system with Wilsons and rumble city and seriously flapping woofers.

Which cause the woofers to fail in short order.

In addition the riaa curve is not very accurate.

Did you see Fremer's review of that? He loved it.

And the bass thing shouldn't be a problem with us headphone listeners (and decent speakers), or is it part of the RIAA curve?

I am asking, not to egg you on, nor to contradict you, but because I am genuinely curious/seeking more education.

Did you see Fremer's review of that? He loved it.

And the bass thing shouldn't be a problem with us headphone listeners (and decent speakers), or is it part of the RIAA curve?

I am asking, not to egg you on, nor to contradict you, but because I am genuinely curious/seeking more education.

That was the stereophile mini review right??? I think he was trying to be kind. Loved the knobs and

adjustable everything.

The bass thing is definitely a big problem. Excessive amounts of subsonic's can only do bad things like

overpower the amplifier, overheat the driver and possibly overextend the drivers physical abilities.

That applies to every single speaker whether decent or otherwise and certainly every dynamic

headphone. May even apply to the stax.

A second order rolloff (i.e. 12 db/octave) below 20hz is part of the riaa spec.

Back when the spec was created the phono carts at the time did not have the

compliance they do now, and barely responded to 50hz let alone record warp.

Many of the other expensive phono preamps out there (levinson,krell,sutherland,pass)

add an additional 2 pole filter to get 24db/octave below 20hz.

Now back to the bomber. the B52 is a fitting name. Designed and built from the 1940's thru the end of the 1950's

it truely is an anchient history piece. ;D

Listen I don't care if you have nothing better to do then just stick on someones cock and suck it everytime they come out with something (or in this case..about to) to the ground...shit really KG i couldnt give a shit..

but when you start bashing something I created then I got a probelm...

Do not let me hear you say anything about my b-52 name again please (I am asking), bash the w/e its going to be like everyone knows your going to do anyway...but leave the name alone..thats mine...

with respect I hope you understand...leave the name out..thats me not Ray.

Wow, billy put all that work into creating a name. I'm impressed. What are you going to do next?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but go fuck yourself.

If a product deserves bashing, i will bash it. If ray actually does come out with something decent

that is not a 30+ year old design stolen from various places it would be a first for him.

Here is an absolutely perfect balanced tube amplifier that would make up for rays complete lack of hearing...

Just picked it up on thursday. Not sure what i'm going to do with it yet.

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/ramp1.jpg

check out the warning label

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/ramp2.jpg

the insides

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/ramp3.jpg

and the directly heated triode output tube

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/833a.jpg

If a product deserves bashing, i will bash it. If ray actually does come out with something decent

that is not a 30+ year old design stolen from various places it would be a first for him.

dude your bashing it and its not even out yet, nobody knows whats its actually going to be yet...

deserves? it does not exsist on the market yet..

all your doing is proving here to everyone on a free forum your a psycho towards him. a psycho that really needs to get off Rays balls,

you obsessed with talking him down, your doing it now to something (i say something cause I have no idea what the B-52 is going to be) with the only thing you have...

which is a name..your ripping a name?

are you kidding me?

its a freaking name of a product.

lay off and wait until the B-52 actually comes out, then go take some photos,post them on northwestern's site,write up a schematic that looks like a 5 year old drew,and continue on your way like you always do...

I understand it may be a hobby of yours to do this and I dont care if you do..just wait until you actually have a product to do it to.