The Emmeline II B-52

tiberian

Its absolutely perfect because it puts out enough power to wake the dead, then kill them again :D

Without even having headphones on. Its something like 4 kilowatts...

And that warning sticker is absolutely great. In all my years of touching and seeing the insides of

equipment (including radio station transmitters) not once have i seen a sticker like that.

Usually stuff of this nature has a microswitch under the cover that when opened drops a relay that

shorts out all the nasty stuff, but not this thing. Scary stuff. I'm going to trash it for parts, mainly

the tube and the tube socket. Save the mains transformer for other equipment of this type and

the rest goes in the garbage can. Probably save the filament transformer too.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sticker is great.

It can only be taken as some sort of philosophical statement by someone who believes some deaths are not final.

"This product can kill you, and if you believe in reincarnation or resurrection, you're wrong."

Or "if you're dumb enough to touch this thing you're not coming back" :D

Two kind people contacted me with the tube compliment of ray's new B52.

Ray is if nothing else is consistent. Single minded and mired in anchient history.

Lets see, 2 raptors each of which with a diff amp (the 4th tube) in one box.

Double the output impedance, which is already too high. Probably great for

sennheisers, but really miserable for grado's.

I'm trying to find a 5 year old with a box of crayons to draw up the schematic

for me ;D

This is an absolute first for me. Formal show introduction to schematic in less

than 2 hours :D

Billy definitely named the thing correctly.

I had a chance to hear this amp at the sunday smaller meet. The balanced HD650s seemed like it had all the veil ripped out as much as possible, but what was left was maybe too revealed, as I felt it was a bit thin, like there was no heft to the notes right behind all that exposed detail on the first layer. Plus, that beefy bass (and sometimes muddy) was maybe too tight and cleaned up. It was almost like the HD650 was trying to become an AKG.

But the balanced PS-1 in this amp was a big hit. PS-1s of course bring the bass, but this amp seemed voiced perfectly to take advantage of it and really integrate all the other freqs in a coherent layer with that big bass. Heft, impact, aggression, detail, not harsh, and the highs were no longer squirrely like I always felt the PS-1s to be - it was linear and smooth. Honestly, this is the best I ever heard the PS-1, and that includes hearing an unbalanced PS-1 through the epic Maestrobated Melos.

Its not like i want to promote RS products, but this may in fact be ray's best amp yet.

Once he fixes little problems like the resistor burning up, and replaced by that red jumper

wire, and the fact that the tubes arc when you turn on the power from cold.

Still, this is going to be one expensive amplifier. If ray's pricing scheme holds true

i can't see this going for less than $3500. Not many in the under 25 crowd are

going to be able to afford this.

He is obviously trying to desperately compete with Mikhail.

Lets see, 2 raptors each of which with a diff amp (the 4th tube) in one box.

Double the output impedance, which is already too high. Probably great for

sennheisers, but really miserable for grado's.

Its not like i want to promote RS products, but this may in fact be ray's best amp yet.

..at least Jahn' comments seem to tell that this amp is suited for Grados

Once he fixes little problems like the resistor burning up, and replaced by that red jumper

wire, and the fact that the tubes arc when you turn on the power from cold.

Hey, that's my red jumper wire you're picking on >:D. Ray broke the resistor setting up the amp before the meet. He was running around asking if anyone had a DMM he could use. I had brought mine figuring that something of mine would likely blow up during the meet so I let him use it and when he found the broken resistor he asked if I had a jumper, which I did so I gave it to him. I didn't get a chance to hear the amp as it was one of the more popular places at the meet and knowing what it would likely cost made it a non-issue for me.

..at least Jahn' comments seem to tell that this amp is suited for Grados

Well its about time, the raptor sucks for grado's. At least in this new chassis

there is room for appropriate sized output caps. And with more ventilation

they won't dry out so quick.

I'm not sure why ray is using those standup film resistors on a ceramic substrate.

Those things break way to easy. Bounce the power supply hard once, and they

will all crack.

can't see this going for less than $3500. Not many in the under 25 crowd are

going to be able to afford this.

He is obviously trying to desperately compete with Mikhail.

First I do not think this w/e it is is aimed at the under 25 crowd..

Second Single power is a custom make amp company...Ray Might (might pending on what you want) do a small mod to an amp...but nothing more then that. Ray will never even think to compete with Mikhail. Ray and Mikhail are two different types of people running two totally different companies marketed towards two totally different people. Ray and Mikhail Should understand this..

Ray does not try to Compete against others, others try to compete against him (I.E. sr-71,Raptor). With the exception of the Hornet every product RSA has out to buy is not to compete but only to be used and enjoyed..

Mikhail basically is the same, the closest he came to Ray was SACD posting a thread about 5687 slam mins after everyone heard about the Raptors 5687 tube's...either Mikhail Copied the idea and had SACD be the shill on head-fi...or it was just the timing of both going out on headfi using the 5687 was almost dead on...take it either way you want to on it..I personally have better things to do then even think of who did what when bullshit.

Like I said before about Ray always working on something somehow, I think the last I checked he had 6-7 different products being worked on...most likely 5 won't make the light of Day. Remember the A-10?ca-2?rs-1a?...those three came close but never sold..hell even the CA-2 has a review out there (by a real audio critic on a real site)...but still nothing...no one can buy it..never sold.

if your thinking along the lines of the w/e it is going into Single powers price range and there for competing your wrong..

the w/e it is Most likely will not be marked as a flagship or a product like a sds-w/e that costs $15,000 w/e....

Ray is getting smart with his market segments and placement of products to each and every market. no more days of hr2/xp-7 sharing markets..

the w/e it is has its target...but I doubt the under 25 people are in that market.

the "w/e it is" is the b-52..lol

I heard it at the National and it sounded pretty good with my K340's, but was too tubey. This is strange since Ray's other amps don't sound tubey at all... and this one is balanced. Isn't balancing tube amps supposed to *remove* even order harmonics? In any case, I would be quite happy with this amp with some dryer more accurate tubes I think. :)

Guest sacd lover

Second Single power is a custom make amp company...Ray Might (might pending on what you want) do a small mod to an amp...but nothing more then that. Ray will never even think to compete with Mikhail. Ray and Mikhail are two different types of people running two totally different companies marketed towards two totally different people. Ray and Mikhail Should understand this..

Ray does not try to Compete against others, others try to compete against him (I.E. sr-71,Raptor). With the exception of the Hornet every product RSA has out to buy is not to compete but only to be used and enjoyed..

Mikhail basically is the same, the closest he came to Ray was SACD posting a thread about 5687 slam mins after everyone heard about the Raptors 5687 tube's...either Mikhail Copied the idea and had SACD be the shill on head-fi...or it was just the timing of both going out on headfi using the 5687 was almost dead on...take it either way you want to on it..I personally have better things to do then even think of who did what when bullshit.

Ray is getting smart with his market segments and placement of products to each and every market. no more days of hr2/xp-7 sharing markets..

the w/e it is has its target...but I doubt the under 25 people.

You know Billy I liked you personally. But I am tired of your BS. I have been purposely avoiding commenting in this thread to avoid controversy and let the whole situation die out. But you want to make accusations .... well lets see some proof. You want to talk smack then back it up! PROVE I AM A SHILL. >:(

For your information ...... MIKHAIL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT I POST ... GOT THAT. :mikey1: IF YOU HAVE IFORMATION TO THE CONTRAY THEN FEEL FREE TO POST THAT INFORMATION.

Apparently, you invision something like your relationship where Ray gives you a new unit so you can pimp the product in head-fi. I buy my amps and most of my current collection are the old chassis style I bought used. I have Singlepowers because they are the best sounding amps I have heard. I talk about the Singlepower amps because thats what I own after years of listening and comparing headamps. I had headamps back in 1994 before most people knew what they were .... including you.

Secondly, lets get out facts straight. WHEN DID WE FIND OUT ABOUT THE RAPTOR? There was a mall-fi ad about the raptor and I had my amp before the first raptor was even sold. Furthermore, the first time I posted about the amp the raptor was already in production. I had eighty 5687's in my collection before the raptor and its tube compliment were ever announced. You are insinuating a lie and its going to stop right here. My amp was spec'd and paid for before the raptor was ever mentioned. You have the nerve to insinuate someone stole Ray's idea .... did you forget the RAPTOR was a COPY from tubecad??? Hmmmmm copy + raptor = craptor .... that seems about right.

Speaking of my first SLAM post where did you get within minutes. Maybe you could show me this post. But anyway, as usual the RSA contingent did jump on me because I dared to suggest there was another amp using 5687's that could compare; remember the Nightfall post? Maybe I should dig that one up for you as a reminder of what happens when you suggest a non RSA alternative. That thread was also instructive how mods like Elrod tom then get involved to protect Nightfall and justify his post when Elrod should have been, at the veryl least, warning him for an unwarranted attack. Most people would have been banned for that post.

As for the SLAM, it not only compares, it is completely superior to the the raptor and you dont need golden ears to hear that ..... there is no competition. RSA's amps, or should I say the amp copies of prexsisting designs Ray sells as his designs, are not only inferior to SinglePower, there are a whole host of designers and companies with better products. If RSA did not have his head-fi hype machine and pro moderation force in place could he compete period? Everytime something negative about the RSA products come to light they are suppressed. Want to take a poll and see who believes that statement and who doesnt? I am tired of this poor Ray BS. He gets away with stuff no one else would dare do ..... member or manufacturer.

In case you cant tell I am pissed. So one more time .... I am not associated with Mikhail and I am tired of the implications. I AM NO ONES SHILL. If you dont have any proof .... SHUT UP! If you do have proof then PUT UP!

By the way since I remain pissed.... Ray is now smarter about products with no more HR-2 / XP-7 competing against themselves in the same market segment? ...... THEN WHY DO WE HAVE THE $400 SR-71 AND THE $350 HORNET PORTABLE AMPS???? ARENT THEY BOTH PORTABLE AMPS AT THE SAME PRICE POINT? You arent paying attention Billy. But you better start paying attention. Because if you want to make this nonsense personal I will make this personal too. >:(

Modified strictly to preserve attribution and make clear what was written by whom - grawk

Dayam, a throwdown! It took me a while to read that tho because you quoted billy and put your 2 cents in all in one monster quote - my head is swimming in purple!

the more amazing thing to me is this -

bhd812 on Today at 08:41:13 am

What the heck is Billy doing up before 9am posting? Even I don't do that! That's dedication!

Guest sacd lover

I didnt get to the edit fuction in time. Liked should be like. I dont suddenly dislike Billy even though I am totally pissed off at his comments.

Second, I meant I have not been posting in the forum threads like the ruh roh thread for example .... to avoid controversy .... not this particular thread. But if I see something like this again .....count on a reply eveytime.

Finally, if anything sounds mean spirited or incoherent it probably is. Nothing makes me crazier than unfounded accusations with not one shread of evidence or motive. Particularly when the individual involved had the SLAM's origins explained to him in person. Furthermore, this same individual has told me information in confidence I have never mentioned, for example, issues with Ray's hornet. He should know my character given I shut my mouth and respected his confidence. Now he wants to accuse me of shilling. I need to calm down and stop talking while I am angry. But I am not taking this BS ... this isnt head-fi.

Guest sacd lover

Dayam, a throwdown! It took me a while to read that tho because you quoted billy and put your 2 cents in all in one monster quote - my head is swimming in purple!

the more amazing thing to me is this -

bhd812 on Today at 08:41:13 am

What the heck is Billy doing up before 9am posting? Even I don't do that! That's dedication!

That because I was so mad >:( I didnt pay attention to what I was doing!

you know at one point i tried to explain all the drama on head-fi to a newbie and at one point he stopped me and said "whatever, it had nothing to do with headphones."

you know, that's kinda right. if it sounds good, enjoy it. if you bought a crap product, dump it. screw what's going on otherwise if you want to stay sane, i say!

you know at one point i tried to explain all the drama on head-fi to a newbie and at one point he stopped me and said "whatever, it had nothing to do with headphones."

you know, that's kinda right. if it sounds good, enjoy it. if you bought a crap product, dump it. screw what's going on otherwise if you want to stay sane, i say!

amen