Montreal mini-meet, anyone interested?

GPH

I posted an interest check on the other site for a Montreal mini-meet, but I thought it might be a good idea to ask people on the Dark Side too.

No details on the "when" and the "where" for the moment, just a quick look to see who would be interested. I'm not even sure if there are Montrealers here. ;D

• 1 month later...

Ok, no answers so I assume there might not be any Montrealer here except me. :-[

Anyway, here's exactly what's happening if there are some Quebecois hidden in the dark:

Date:

Sunday, March 16

Longueuil Campus of the Universite de Sherbrooke (Map)

Note: It's next to the Metro Longueuil so it's very easy to get there in metro for those who don't have a car.

Hours:

We'll have a room from 8AM to 17PM, the exact local is still to be confirmed.

Cost:

So far, it would cost 12,50$/person if we count only the confirmed people.

1. gp_hebert:

- MacBook

- E-MU 0404 USB

- M^3 amp (built by Rockhopper Audio)

- Sennheiser HD600 w/ Cardas cable

- iPod and de-podded iM716

2. Killercrush:

Grado SR100 w/ HP1000 drivers & Black SR325 Cups

Grado Flats

Grado 1/4 to 1/8 Adapter

Cowon Iaudio 5 2GB

3. pfillion (pretty sure, but not confirmed):

- Ultrasone HFI-780 (modded by ALO)

- Little Dot MKIII

4. nightfire:

- Lavry DA10

- First Watt F1 clone

- AKG K1000

- M-Audio Audiophile USB

- Grado SR-325i

- Gilmore Lite

- Laptop with about 60gb of flacs

5. larryminator:

- Melos 333 preamp

- Melos balanced SHA-Gold (if I get them to work until then)

- Grado RA-1

- Squeezebox V3

- Creative Zen Vision:M 60 gig

- Some Grado headphones, don't know which one yet.

6. DanT:

- EastSound CD-E3 CD Player

- Denon DCP-150

- Denon DCP-100

- Philips AZ6808

- Little Dot II++

- AKG 240 Sextett ( early version +velour pad recable canare)

- IM716 with switching podectomy

7. papomaster:

- Audio-technica AD2000

- Meier Headfive

- Musiland Md-10

- 2x virtual Dynamics power 3

- audience conductor (le cable coaxial)

- toshiba sd-3990

- Shure e4c

8. Dark_Shadow:

- Millet Max

- Fostex T-5

9. peter_m

10. Khanate:

- JVC FX-33

- Turbodiabolicious LOD

- Meier Headsix Amp

- Sennheiser HD-424X

11. aris:

- Zune - pk3 or cx300

- Sony PCDP with MS1

- Senn hd497, Eton hp1, fx-33, fx-55, senn px100

12. Mike_TNT

13. phosfiend

Yep, those are vintage black SR325 regrilled/unbuttoned cups which replaced the stock SR100 ones. A Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable was also installed in place of the stock stiff unamed Grado Labs cable.

I A/B them vs the HP2, no contest, the HP2 is still winning but the gap between them is way smaller compared to what was my SR100 before the mods.

Yep, those are vintage black SR325 regrilled/unbuttoned cups which replaced the stock SR100 ones. A Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable was also installed in place of the stock stiff unamed Grado Labs cable.

I A/B them vs the HP2, no contest, the HP2 is still winning but the gap between them is way smaller compared to what was my SR100 before the mods.

For the 300$ it cost him, this is quite a steal. I didn't have time (or was too absorbed by the PS1) to give a fair listen to these, but from the short time I spent with it, this is really the poor man's HP2. Everything that's good about the HP2 is there, but it misses some of the clarity and sound placement of its big brother.

What do you feel is the difference between those two phones? Is it the fact that the HP-1000 is in an all metal enclosure? Bigger cups?

What do you feel is the difference between those two phones? Is it the fact that the HP-1000 is in an all metal enclosure? Bigger cups?

Firstly I'll say one thing, the Joe Grado HP2 with the Reference cable are the finest headphones I've ever heard, my dream cans.

The difference is quite neat to experience IMO, mainly because mostly only me can do it and the other HF'iers present who did. They have mostly the same balance, same drivers, duhhhh !!! :D Otherwise, everything on the HP2 is clearly more precise, accurate, focused, effortless & natural.

They share the same quality that I like to call the ability to reconstruct the recording with everything in it's right place, at the right time, with the right tone . I can put it that way too, if my SR100 are too clinical, the HP2 are downright urgency room material.

I don't know how to explain it but the HP2 are more laid-back than my SR100 but still manage to be more detailed & bigger sounding, you can really feel the instruments in the soundstage, the heart of the recording, something that's not even quite up there on my cans.

The HP1000 drivers sure do sound better in an all metal enclosure but the modded SR325 housings did help to bring the Joe Grado Tonality a bit. I compared the 2 housings side by side and the ones from the HP2 were thicker, larger in diameter & deeper. They also has that strange brown tar alike substance, Joe Grado magic tweak. It really does take his old metal beasts to experience a full complete HP1000 journey.