K701 insanity spreading over at head-fi

F1GTR

This is really getting out of hand.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/k701s-here-294171/ <-- Check Post #10

I think K701s need almost 700 hours to be fully burned in...I'm at around 800 hours and it's a huge change of soundstage + impact + smoothness + detail compared to 200 hours or so... Some said they need more like 1200 hrs for it to be fully burned in - I can see why, it just keeps improving and improving. I just need to improve my source from iAudio X5L 30G FLAC (shudder).

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sacd lover

Nah, that seems to be the case over here more. I'll have to yank my friend's K701 soon to make a real comparison.

I think a lot of burn-in is "give it another hundred hours to convince yourself that you didn't waste money"

I dont hate the 701's .... I actuallty think they are quite good. But, I like the Senn 580/600 and the Alessandro MS2's better.

The burn in nonsense has been out of hand ever since the Hornet. But, unfortunately, now people apply the concept to everything.

You're right man. I hadn't thought about it before, but it really does seem like it can be traced back to the Hornet and its magic 300 number. Good call.

LOL! So that must be why the vintage one's are bringing a pretty penny these days.

What's the consensus for burn in time on the PS-1's? I'm curious how many more years mine have to go.

omg lol.. i think you make a good point that I've never thought about. Maybe the reason vintage ones "sound better" is due to the fact that it has been burned in for a long time.. and that the wood probably doesn't make a huge difference.

omg lol.. i think you make a good point that I've never thought about. Maybe the reason vintage ones "sound better" is due to the fact that it has been burned in for a long time.. and that the wood probably doesn't make a huge difference.

Hah! It is pretty damn funny. Don't give me credit though. Postjack is the genius on that one.

Some burn it did affect my K701's, but nothing along the lines of 700 hours... I'd like to say more like, 50 hours. I actually just let them play for a week here and there and then listened again and there was a bit more bass. That's about all the changes that I had and it was welcomed. Aside from that, it's been the same headphone since it came out of the box.

I think it gives people something to do. I remember asking Mikhail about burn-in, and he told me to just listen to music.

Some burn it did affect my K701's, but nothing along the lines of 700 hours... I'd like to say more like, 50 hours. I actually just let them play for a week here and there and then listened again and there was a bit more bass. That's about all the changes that I had and it was welcomed. Aside from that, it's been the same headphone since it came out of the box.

I've only heard K701s that had many hours on them, so I don't know. The only time I experienced anything with burn-in was with a Hornet, but like laxx's K701s, it was more around 30-40 hrs, and that was that. I remember being very frustrated in the Ultrasone thread, when I didn't like my 2500s, and people kept telling me I hadn't burned them in long enough. I had them up to 200 plus hours, and still didn't hear a difference in the metallic highs, so everyone starting telling me that mine were defective.... ??? How many hours for Ultrasone's now? Have the 701s surpassed?

Actually what you need to do with K701's is let them rest with no music playing through them for months. Like mine have been doing since I got MS2i's and RS1's.

O0

Huh, so I guess it really is my DA53 making everything unnecessarily bright. (I find the MS-2 really bright, I think it's time to get a more normal source...)

There might be something to it, but it won't fundamentally change the sound of a headphone, which was what I was told to keep listening for.

Yeah, the effect was really obvious but the overall sound sig didn't change much, high is still pronounced but less harsh now

My PL750 is only a step in this headphone journey, my next step would be a higher end grado ;D

I remember some retarded assclown on HF claiming that the K701 doesn't open up until the 2000 hour mark, that's right, two thousand fucking hours. I still think the K701 is highly overrated to say the least, and I'd take a Grado SR60 over them any day, nevermind my 225 or RS-1. It's been a while since I wrote that review, and my opinion of them has only gotten worse.