New member forum?

postjack

Just a thought that popped into my head that I wanted to throw out there before I did any deep thinking on it.

We get onto new headcasers a lot because they suck. Other forums I frequent have a "new members" forum where newbies can go to introduce themself, or make their forum debut. You know, "New Members", with the subtitle, "Introduce yourself here", something like that. Might help us become aquainted with newer members a little bit, and maybe get used to their smell as well.

Any thoughts?

honestly, I don't think it will help because the purpose of those people joining to post ads ... is to post ads and will do so before anything else. I think things are fine the way they are because when I joined I just created my own little thread and it was all good.

George (gtp) showed how to correctly join a forum. He lurked for a while first to get the lay of the land, figured things out and then introduced himself. We'd have no noobie fun if they all did this. I see no reason for a special forum. Here's proof that it's easy to join Headcase without getting dumped on. I'd rather it be an intelligence test rather than a hand-holding experience. Besides, if we make it too easy, all the noobies on HF will soon be here too. :(

George (gtp) showed how to correctly join a forum.... We'd have no noobie fun if they all did this.

So I did it right, but that didn't let anyone have fun at my expense :(.

It definitely seems like newb-roasting is a HC pasttime, so do whatever you have to do to keep it that way. It is fun, and it keeps the fori "cleansed".

Members can see from my post count, they can judge for themselves how they want to respond. If new members do a basic bit of lurking they're going to know what to expect with their first posts. Introductions for me occur gradually through the aggregation of what I do rather than a splurge of words from one day.

p.s. any chance of a 2 cents smilie ? ;D

Guest DevilMayCry

actually it is kind of fun testing the skin density of newbies. maybe a newbie forum isn't the best idea.

i see we had one this morning for about 10 minutes, then it disappeared. :kitty:

;D Are you refering to me?

I think 'noob hazing board' sounds more appropriate for this place ;D

Is this what you fine folks do for kicks? :dance:

Is this what you fine folks do for kicks? :dance:

it's more because newbies tend to come here without finding out what this place is about, and post inane bullshit about bullcrap and we call them out for it. then they get offended, start an argument with the rest of us, and we chase them out.

i personally love it.

Here's a random thought... How about posting in the FS forums only be open to High Rollers. If it was based on post count, you'd end up with more inane posts. But if it was invitation only, then we wouldn't have people with no track record here posting FS/WTB threads. Newcomers could still PM people regarding items FS or in repsonse to WTB threads, but they would have to contribute before being able to peddle their wares.

Just a thought...

:shrug:

If any of the mods think this idea will open a can of worms, then feel free to edit or delete this post. :prettyprincess:

Here's a random thought... How about posting in the FS forums only be open to High Rollers. If it was based on post count, you'd end up with more inane posts. But if it was invitation only, then we wouldn't have people with no track record here posting FS/WTB threads. Newcomers could still PM people regarding items FS or in repsonse to WTB threads, but they would have to contribute before being able to peddle their wares.

Just a thought...

:shrug:

If any of the mods think this idea will open a can of worms, then feel free to edit or delete this post. :prettyprincess:

that is exactly what I was saying when they first messed with the post settings of the Fs forum. The reply was: it was not possible.. but I knwo for a fact I have done it on my SMF board.

that is exactly what I was saying when they first messed with the post settings of the Fs forum. The reply was: it was not possible.. but I knwo for a fact I have done it on my SMF board.

I don't recall ever saying it wasn't possible but then again I wasn't the one that was messing with the FS post settings. But besides that it's not our job to babysit the FS forum it's there solely as a convenience and other than banning people who turn out to be scammers we have zero responsiblity as to what goes on between members in the FS forum.

Also I think posting restrictions before someone can post in the FS forum are totally useless. In fact they encourage more useless crap to get posted.