Favorite tools

Fungi

We have lots of info on good parts, but I can't seem to find good tools. I don't mean multimeters and soldering irons, I mean the guys that do the hard work but go unnoticed, like helping hands and wire strippers.

In my experience, the standard helping hands thing from PartsExpress is a little flimsier than I'd like, and I don't know how to determine a good wire stripper since I only have the one from a group buy with not enough sizes.

Feel free to throw in whatever cool tools you like too, because what is a man without his tools?

Xcelite 170M nippers. Sharp as hell, nice clean cuts.

Tweezers: two sizes, could use more. One holds items vertically, one holds them horiz. In combination they are...well, they're still tweezers. But since they stay closed instead of opened, they can hold stuff while I wait for the iron to get hot, or while I get another glass of Merlot.

I don't know about my favorite wire stripper. I acquired one of these recently.

41D1DJV9Y1L._AA280_.jpg

Not a bad tool. However, but the gripper portion can sometimes leave tooth marks on the wire casing and I think that looks tacky. I should get a different one.

x2 on the Panavise. Check ebay.

Strippers (loaded ?)

Ideal T-strippers... great. Home Depot carries some of these... get the ones that go from 22-30ga. They also have a set from 14 or so up to 22 maybe. Teflon, no problem with these.

Drill press. Lowes used to have a 10" Delta for around $100 that is nice.

If you make PCBs, carbide indexed drill bits like these. Don't use them without the drill press above, however.

x2 on the head magnifier. Optivisors (like you see the jeweler's wearing) work really well.

I made my "helping hands" in my high school shop class, still better than anything I could buy. For wire strippers and cutters, nothing special - just some cheap craftsman stuff.

Fungi: In Goleta, check out Marvac Electronics. They have lots of good stuff (Xcelite, etc). Like a good DIY nerd, I spend a lot of lunch hours there just looking around.

I made my "helping hands" in my high school shop class, still better than anything I could buy. For wire strippers and cutters, nothing special - just some cheap craftsman stuff.

Fungi: In Goleta, check out Marvac Electronics. They have lots of good stuff (Xcelite, etc). Like a good DIY nerd, I spend a lot of lunch hours there just looking around.

Nice, I will definitely be checking that place out.