Anyone heard both the AV123 Strata Mini and Horn Shoppe Horn?

aardvark baguette

I'm debating getting some speakers sometime in 2008. I dont listen loud, and will be moving into an apartment, so I will need something that sounds nice played at low volumes. Both the Horn and Strata Mini seem to be well received and around the size I'd be looking for.

I would essentially be starting from scratch, with the exception of source, as I've remained solely headphone-based thus far. So I would need to get a suitable amp, and whatever else. I'm thinking of going SET or 300B/similar. Possibly getting another EAR amp, having had success with the EAR HP4.

I'm not averse to spending significant money, but I absolutely have to be able to enjoy the setup at low volumes.

Also, this is strictly 2 channel audio. I have absolutely no intension of getting a subwoofer, since this will be in an apartment.

So I guess I'm looking for recommendations between the two aforementioned speakers, and which would be optimal in a quiet apartment setting (assuming either cold fit that bill) :)

**one last thing; please explain to someone of my pathetically low intellect the differences, pros + cons of integrated vs power amps. It is my understanding that SET are for systems not requiring power amps, but...I dont really know :angel:**

An "integrated" is basically a power amp + preamp. A preamp is basically a source-selection device that has volume control. If you connect your source to a power amp to speakers without any way of controlling your volume, it will always play at maximum volume.

The benefits of an integrated is (a) one less pair of interconnects, (B) one less place to plug in power, and in some cases, © size. The benefits of "separates" is (a) modularization, and (B) advanced ability to fine-tune your system by mixing and matching components.

I've heard neither speaker, but've heard good things about the AV123 one.

Well I know my Bel Canto has a digital volume of its own, controlled either via remote or the front dial, so I guess I dont have to have a preamp.

While I'm undecided on speakers, I think I've narrowed the amp down to this:

2270970203_5179b1d8a8.jpg?v=0

Goes for about $5K at TTVJ currently.

I've been very pleased with EAR so far.

Plus this is apparently a great match with K1000s, should I ever get a pair :)

Yeah.

I think I will get the amp before any speakers, because I will probably buy someones K1000 afterwards, now that I finally have the income to do so.

They are rare, but I've seen them come up here and there. But thats definitely on the back burner. Maybe it will happen this year, maybe next; that type of back burner.

....but the amp will happen this year >:D

(or whatever amp I get, should someone sway my opinion to another design, but not likely)

I absolutely have to be able to enjoy the setup at low volumes.

Also, this is strictly 2 channel audio. I have absolutely no intension of getting a subwoofer, since this will be in an apartment.

In that case Strata Mini is out b/c they don't come alive until healthy volume levels, and even then they need largish space to sound their best.

And before you buy any single-driver speakers, I highly suggest you audition them. They can be wonderful, but it's definitely a personal preference thing.

Whoa, good to know. Thanks.

I'm not absolutely wedded to single driver, but I am more attracted to them because they work w/ SET tube amps.

But basically anything the EAR could power well would be game, assuming it fits all criteria.

I really like Green Mountain Audio speakers, what about the Callisto:

CallistoIntro319by445.jpg

http://www.greenmountainaudio.com/Speakers/Callisto/Welcome.htm

Fab Audio Model One

Review

Comments: Still in the top 3 of all the speakers I've ever heard, and I've honestly lost count of how many speakers I've listened to over the years. The Living Voice Avatar & OBX-R are slightly cleaner & less coloured, those two are my benchmark in that area. However, they can't match the resolution & detail of the Model 1 and can't come anywhere close in dynamics, especially if you want to crank the volume a bit. Model 1's are a bit faster as well and they soundstage just as well as the OBX-R, which is to say about as good as I've ever heard. You can also drive them cleanly with a 3W tube amp so the really nice tubes like 45's, 50's, and AD1's can be used, hell, I drove a friend's pair with a 1-2W tube headphone amp.

As for amplifiers, sticking with EAR products, I'd much rather go with the 869 rather than the V20. I've heard both at the local dealer, the V20 looks cool but it's too much of a pain in the ass with all those fucking tubes and to me it doesn't sound any better than the 869.

Just read the review last night. Seems like it would be a great match for my source. Plus it wouldnt have the colorations that people always note with single driver designs.

Fab Audio Model One

Review

Comments: Still in the top 3 of all the speakers I've ever heard, and I've honestly lost count of how many speakers I've listened to over the years. The Living Voice Avatar & OBX-R are slightly cleaner & less coloured, those two are my benchmark in that area. However, they can't match the resolution & detail of the Model 1 and can't come anywhere close in dynamics, especially if you want to crank the volume a bit. Model 1's are a bit faster as well and they soundstage just as well as the OBX-R, which is to say about as good as I've ever heard. You can also drive them cleanly with a 3W tube amp so the really nice tubes like 45's, 50's, and AD1's can be used, hell, I drove a friend's pair with a 1-2W tube headphone amp.

I saw this on Audiogon. I wouldnt be buying this audiogon set, since it would be sometime down the line, after purchasing an amp. But they look interesting. I'll have to research them a bit, and see if they would work in an apartment setting.

Thanks for the rec's, guys. :)

Half joking, and half not, has anyone ever heard the Magico Minis (either version)?

Are they over rated audiophile pap or the real deal?

I haven't heard it yet, but a guy in our local audiophile group has and he was less than impressed. Our audio tastes are pretty similar, except he prefers a more neutral sound with more highs than I do, I lean towards warmness and don't care all that much about the treble, as long as it doesn't hurt my ears it's good.

In his words, roughly paraphrased, "I'm pretty sure the reviewers were listening with their eyes". For $5-8k sure, why not, but it certainly isn't worth the market prices. He prefers the Wilson Benesch Discovery speakers which we've both heard a fair bit at our local dealer.

GMA makes absoletly great speakers, a local guy here has the $10k calypso's and they are amazing. They like many high end speakers respond to fine tuning the placement of them. When I first heard them he had them set up in about the worst way possible, straddling a 52" rear projection tv, and they sounded pretty awefull. Pulled out 18' past the tv they immediately opened up. I highly recommend giving these a listen their tonal accuracy and detail are outstanding. I would have to imagine the smaller ones would share many of the same attributes but who knows.

I highly recommend giving these a listen their tonal accuracy and detail are outstanding. I would have to imagine the smaller ones would share many of the same attributes but who knows.

I totally agree. I'm not sure how they pull it off... Thiel, GMA, Vandersteen, Dunlavy, Meadowlark ... I bet you can guess why I think these all sound great :)