Anyone catching new series Breaking Bad?

Pars

Dare I say I liked the final a bit less than others, but it was certainly emotionally fulfilling. Plenty good enough and if slightly disappointing, that's only because of the high marks of so many episodes and hoping the finale to top them all. In Twitterland people seemed to be attacking The Sopranos... "this is how you create an ending", etc. Didn't achieve that status, but very, very good.   

It was pretty much a happy ending... for Breaking Bad's universe. Maybe The Wild Bunch, but without the upset stomach.

Dare I say I liked the final a bit less than others, but it was certainly emotionally fulfilling. Plenty good enough and if slightly disappointing, that's only because of the high marks of so many episodes and hoping the finale to top them all. In Twitterland people seemed to be attacking The Sopranos... "this is how you create an ending", etc. Didn't achieve that status, but very, very good.   

It was pretty much a happy ending... for Breaking Bad's universe. Maybe The Wild Bunch, but without the upset stomach.

This is pretty much how I feel. It was a very good ending; however, the season finale involving the plane collision in season 2? 3? was more epic IMO. 

This was the best series I've seen so far (never watched The Sopranos or The Wire), so it's nice to see the ending tie everything together so well. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got to see the end of this show now that the 2nd half of season 5 is on netflix.

I'll admit, that was a hell of a run of episodes to end the series. Riveting TV, no doubt. Great ending too, I might add.

IMO the best parts of the series were when Walt was nasty, intense and desperate and when he dropped the act of being the bumbling nice guy caught up in the scheme. We got to see a lot of that side of Walt towards the end which made me very happy.

I will say though, maybe my memory is failing me but I thought the quality of the 5th season was substantially better than the rest of the series by a long shot. If the show had ended after season 4 (or heck, even after the half-way point of season 5) I suspect the show wouldn't have garnered quite as much acclaim. Still, great ending arc though. It changed my opinion of the show from "above average" to "pretty solid".

So don't get me wrong, I really liked Breaking Bad, but if I had to make a list of other great shows since 2000 that I either liked more or thought were in the same ballpark as Breaking Bad just off the top of my head , it would look kind of like this:

Shows that I think were better than Breaking Bad:

The Wire

Mad Men

South Park - Yeah its uneven, but when its good, its great

Arrested Development

Curb Your Enthusiasm

The first few seasons of "Lost" - Before it went off the deep end

Shows in the same ballpark quality-wise as Breaking Bad:

Chapelle's Show

First few seasons of "24"

Rome

Game of Thrones

The British version of "The Office"

So again, I thought BB was really good, I just think there has been plenty of good-to-great stuff on TV in the last 10-15 years or so. I don't watch a ton of TV, so I'm sure there is other great stuff I missed.

Edited by TMoney

I'm trying to understand the logic of the rankings and the 'IMO the best parts of the series were when Walt was nasty, intense and desperate and when he dropped the act of being the bumbling nice guy caught up in the scheme. We got to see a lot of that side of Walt towards the end which made me very happy.' Is it a personal excitement (if you like twists irregardless of point, 24 and Lost would move up, if you prefer dark Walt the BB last season preferable, etc.)?

In so many ways I think of The Wire and Breaking Bad as opposites of 24 and Lost. Could you make an argument of why 24 and early Lost were great storytelling?

And add Girls to the list! ;)

Edited by blessingx