Dynamic amps: Top 10

So basically, as long as it has lots of large and long things resembling penises poking out of a hulking casework, it's in the top 10 by default? >:D

I have the balanced Max in my list. It overshadows the E.A.R. HP4 by a margin.

And I really don't see this thread degenerating much more than that last post. So if you blame anyone, blame yourself.

I have the balanced Max in my list. It overshadows the E.A.R. HP4 by a margin.

And I really don't see this thread degenerating much more than that last post. So if you blame anyone, blame yourself.

I figured I'd set the low bar.

The current balanced Max is at the top of my list at the moment as far as the amps I would like to get.

I notice headamp doesn't offer the Balanced Reference anymore. Is the GS-X it's replacement? Is it a Gilmore design or a Headamp design?

I figured I'd set the low bar.

The current balanced Max is at the top of my list at the moment as far as the amps I would like to get.

I notice headamp doesn't offer the Balanced Reference anymore. Is the GS-X it's replacement? Is it a Gilmore design or a Headamp design?

Yes, the GS-X is its replacement... It currently uses the Gilmore circut but Justin is working on his own modules that should be out soon.

Of the ones I've heard outside of Singlepower (since they're not in your consideration)...

HeadAmp Gilmore Balanced Reference (upgraded)

HeadRoom Max Balanced

HeadRoom Home Balanced (Max module)

HeadRoom Home Balanced

Yike's Exemplar OTL/32 (ASL OTL/32 that was modified heavily by Exemplar Audio)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am utter newbie when it comes to the top-top dynamic amps. :-\

I haven't been able to audition a single one that has been listed!

I recently ran into some good luck and I have accumulated some money for an amp upgrade. :dance:

I had my eyes set on the LaRocco Headcode. It troubles me a little that it isn't mentioned here.

Is there any reason why it's not so popular?

Please be harsh, I would like to know exactly how you feel. Don't hold back >:D

If you love the amp... well don't hold back either 8)

I recently ran into some good luck and I have accumulated some money for an amp upgrade. :dance:

I had my eyes set on the LaRocco Headcode. It troubles me a little that it isn't mentioned here.

I would say...this imo

That either most people can not possbily try every amp out there, if they can have enough time on it to get a fair judgemement, or pass the lower or higher priced gear just because its out of their budget..

I would suggest to you as well as to anyone who's new into this hobby to search info and find a vintage amp or receiver ( 200/300$ maximum ) instead of spending a fortune on the new top of the pop amp .

I'm still using my 2 vintage , with hp2 ps-1 and other headphones , and they keep up absolutely well when I buy new amps and compare .

The only compartment I found they're generally behind - but very marginally to little and never far behind - is detail.. so if one is a detail freak it's maybe better he also looks somewhere else and into a more recent product

Marantz and Philips are two of the best brand for vintage amp and receiver that may incorporate a very good sounding headphone amp .