Speakers & power amp recommendations for $1600-$2K?

Salt Peanuts

I?m counting my chickens before they hatch a bit, but I?m looking for some suggestions/recommendations for speakers and power amp at around $1600-$2000.

They will be fed by 840C as a source and I will most likely be using either my Beta22 or Luminous Audio Axiom as a preamp for the time being.

I prefer clear and cohesive sound throughout with good PRaT, and I?ll always take bass quality over quantity.

One undecided factor is whether to sell my headphone gears for additional speaker fund, but I think I?m going to keep them for late-night listening and other times when I can use speakers.

Also, any opinions on Dali Ikon 7?s? A local dealer has a pair for $1400 or so.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard some Dali's -- they would definitely be on my short list. I would also include Focal (formerly JM Lab), Aurum Cantus, Quad L series (or L2). You might be able to get Gallo Reference 3.1's or whatnot within that price range.

$1400 takes up too much of your budget, methinks, but if you're alright with that, those Ikon 7's definitely look like something I wouldn't mind owning.

For amps, despite their ubiquity, I would definitely recommend Musical Fidelity. A3^CR/A3cr, A3.2, A308, or A5 (I think I may be straying outside your budget with those last two). I'm not as fond of the A3.5, from what I've heard.

[worthless recommendation of gear I haven't heard] The Outlaw Audio Model 2200 Monoblocks @ $325 (or $275 for B-Stock) each would be a way to maximize bang for the buck. I even see a pair of them (which have since sold) on audiogon for $450. I've read nothing but good things about them, and loved my Outlaw receiver. [/worthless recommendation]

I?m counting my chickens before they hatch a bit, but I?m looking for some suggestions/recommendations for speakers and power amp at around $1600-$2000.

They will be fed by 840C as a source and I will most likely be using either my Beta22 or Luminous Audio Axiom as a preamp for the time being.

I prefer clear and cohesive sound throughout with good PRaT, and I?ll always take bass quality over quantity.

One undecided factor is whether to sell my headphone gears for additional speaker fund, but I think I?m going to keep them for late-night listening and other times when I can use speakers.

Also, any opinions on Dali Ikon 7?s? A local dealer has a pair for $1400 or so.

I don't mean to derail this thread but how does the Luminous Audio Axiom sound in your rig? I have one on loan from Nate and for what they cost they are pretty decent.

As far as speakers go, I would seriously consider smaller, Internet-direct brands like Salk or Selah. In particular, the Salk Songtowers look hard to beat in terms of the "complete package" (WAF, dimensions, etc.) in your price range. I haven't heard these options, but I plan on it sometime.

Or, another option is a used pair of Merlin TSM monitors. I got the MM off of Audiogon NIB locally for $1400, they're probably lower now. I feel like they'd fit your criteria of "clean" very well, and their sealed box gives "quality" bass. My only concern is amping- apparently they're overdamped and more fit for tube amps, and my digital amp hasn't really gotten along with them that well- excellent detail, but fatiguing overall.

Edit: Crap, didn't realize your total budget including amp was $1.6k-2k. In that case, postjack's active Quads look really good, but I'm talking out of my ass because I haven't heard anything besides my Merlins.

Any preference between floorstanding or bookshelf/monitor speakers?

Nope - though I'd need to factor in decent stands if I get bookshelf or monitors. New gears would be nice, but I realize that I would get a much better return for my money if I go the used route. While spending less is always preferable, spending all $2K is fine for this one.

[worthless recommendation of gear I haven't heard] The Outlaw Audio Model 2200 Monoblocks @ $325 (or $275 for B-Stock) each would be a way to maximize bang for the buck. I even see a pair of them (which have since sold) on audiogon for $450. I've read nothing but good things about them, and loved my Outlaw receiver. [/worthless recommendation]

I actually briefly looked at the Outlaw monoblocks, but had to get back to work before I could read more on them. Their price is attractive as it would leave me decent chunk for speakers.

I don't mean to derail this thread but how does the Luminous Audio Axiom sound in your rig? I have one on loan from Nate and for what they cost they are pretty decent.

No clue, as I've never got around to using it after I bought it used a while back. Only speakers I have are Epos ELS-3 that are hooked up to my TV/DVD setup that uses Parasound P/SP-1500 for the pre.

Haj, Good deals on Dali could likely be had. Spearit Sound is dropping the line.

Yeah, that's the deal I mentioned - according to their website, they have a demo pair of Ikon 7 for $1400 or so. I just don't know if they're at Boston or Northampton store, though either way, if I'm going to buy them I'll just go pick them up at the store to save on shipping.

Fab Audio Brats

Review #1

Review #2

It's not as clean and neutral as the reviews say, there's a bit of a midrange "shout" thanks to the Fostex driver and the bass is a bit slower than the rest of the speaker, but with speakers in its price range there's always a disconnect or colouration somewhere in the frequency range. Still, I think it makes the best trade-offs and compromises at its price point.

Haj, Good deals on Dali could likely be had. Spearit Sound is dropping the line.

I would take the Dalis over the Merlins (at any price) any day. I have heard both driven with sources way out of your budget yet the Dalis kicked the heck out of the Merlins IMHO. I was shocked because the Merlins have a great rep but when I actually heard them, ehhhh. Again just my humble observations for what it is worth.

I would take the Dalis over the Merlins (at any price) any day. I have heard both driven with sources way out of your budget yet the Dalis kicked the heck out of the Merlins IMHO. I was shocked because the Merlins have a great rep but when I actually heard them, ehhhh. Again just my humble observations for what it is worth.

My reaction to the Merlins was also ehh, but I assumed that it was due to my tastes (I knew I was trying out more "neutral" gear, coming from a "warm" background). Interesting.

My reaction to the Merlins was also ehh, but I assumed that it was due to my tastes (I knew I was trying out more "neutral" gear, coming from a "warm" background). Interesting.

It's not just you, Merlins just suck the life & joy out of music and leave you with bland cardboard cut-out "hi-fi" crap. They're highly overrated pieces of crap in my opinion.

Well, I've read up more on the Outlaw Model 2200s and it seems to be a mixed bag as far as reviews. I guess they're manufactured by someone other than who makes their multi-channel amps, and most seem to feel they aren't as good. Probably still good value for the money, but it may not be what you're looking for.

Well, I've read up more on the Outlaw Model 2200s and it seems to be a mixed bag as far as reviews. I guess they're manufactured by someone other than who makes their multi-channel amps, and most seem to feel they aren't as good. Probably still good value for the money, but it may not be what you're looking for.

You should make vince build you a pair of beta22 monoblocks :)