Ok, convince me to get a PS3

n_maher

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is a 40GB "pretty much useless"?:palm:

It doesn't come with PS2 emulation. The 60gb comes with Hardware (Emotion Engine) that is used in the PS2. The new 80GB are all software emulation.

I have a lot of PS2 games.. probably over 30 so I want PS2 compatibility. All those downloadable demos and stuff will fill up the 40gb eventually too.. faster than a 80gb and 60gb atleast.

i heard the 80gb one cannot fully play all ps2 games yet, but they keep releasing patchings to hopefully solve the problem.

Honestly, emulation makes the PS3 seem so cheap because I can emulate a PS2 on my PC.. I don't get why would they take something so important out of the system to save a few bucks.

i heard the 80gb one cannot fully play all ps2 games yet, but they keep releasing patchings to hopefully solve the problem.

Honestly, emulation makes the PS3 seem so cheap because I can emulate a PS2 on my PC.. I don't get why would they take something so important out of the system to save a few bucks.

I dont know if many people will feel its as important as you do.

How bad is the software emulation compared to the PS2-native hardware?

I have a PAL 60GB PS3 with the software emulation (We never got the option of hardware emulation here). Personally I've yet to run into a PS2 game that doesn't run on it and I have 20+ PS2 games. If I recall correctly the hardware emulation was said by Sony to be 80% compatible with PS2 titles where as the software emulation was 70% compatible. The hardware is definitely better, but it's not the night and day difference some suggest.

Personally I just play PS2 games on my Slimline PS2 anyway. Uses less power and being modchiped it plays all the NTSC imports my PS3 won't.

I dont know if many people will feel its as important as you do.

haha I guess, it's just that I feel ripped off like this. I always try to buy the best of any product lines and Sony just discountinued it. >_< Sure I can still connect my PS2 and finish my endless amounts of RPGs but it would be a hassle if I got a PS3 and had to switch cables every once in a while.

get a new tv that has more than one set of inputs?

You know I've been looking into that. I was going to buy this 2 weeks ago.

Pioneer USA - Elite PRO-110FD

I saw a demo of it a month ago and it was really nice. I finally decided to go pick it up at the store. To my surprise, they sold all their units including the demo unit probably because a newer model (Pioneer USA - Elite PRO-111FD) is comming out. I'm waiting for the PRO-111FD Kuro and then I can finally get rid of my 10year+ TV.

I know this is kind of off topic but I thought I'd ask. Does anyone know the difference between LCD and Plasma? I've done my research so far and I've found that...

LCD:

Brighter

No "burn" damage from displaying the same colour in the same pixel.

There used to be an angle problem that makes the LCD unviewable from a 45degree or larger angle, but it's fine now.

Plasma:

It has deeper blacks and much better colour overall.

It can suffer from "burn" marks. For example, if I use a Plasma to browse the internet via firefox for 2 whole weeks without shutting the TV/computer off, then the interface of firefox that has remained the same for the whole period of time will cause the pixels displaying it to "burn" and remain the same colour. It is kind of like those ATM machines with those afterimages, etc.

I know the technical differences, does anyone have any experiences to add to it?

I'm pretty much set on getting this plasma, but my alternate choice is a Sharp LCD. Now I just have to wait a few months for the new Pioneer to come in so I can go demo it.

are you really 16? i mean honestly. because when i was 16, i had more important shit to think about than what kind of tv to buy.

this is the state of america/canada these days man. time to move back to the motherland :)

not that its that much better there either :P

are you really 16? i mean honestly. because when i was 16, i had more important shit to think about than what kind of tv to buy.

Of course, I have to think of what post second institutes I should go to, what I'm wearing tomorrow, WTF is y=-1/2f(2x-4)+2 on my math 12 hw that is due tomorrow (which I know is reflect x-axis, compress by 1/2 vertically, 1/2 horizontally, move 4 units to the right and 2 units up), what to eat for lunch tomorrow, should I buy Age or Conan or play WoW with my friends... etc etc.

I enjoy electronics and audio video stuff. I don't see what is wrong with that. Parents don't mind that I brief them with some information that will allow us to have an educated purchase and my house has only one tv, a 31" standard definition over 11 years old Mitsubishi. Did I really have to go through all that trouble to explain that? Honestly I don't think my question deserves a facepalm..

mod edit: again, you are not worthy of the :palm:

Edited by n_maher

• 1 month later...