MPX3 Tubes? (for metal)

hungrych

Just wondering, what are some good tubes for an MPX3 for metal? It sounds really good and realistic on most things so far, but the liquidic presentation doesn't lend itself to metal so well. Or should I just get a grado?

Also, any recommendations for the W10LTD? I know not that many people have heard it, but it's one of the AT's that leans a bit more to the w100/2002 side, but not too much. My sonic preferences would probably be at least a realistic amount of bass, and "searing soaring highs"/ :P

For metal, you'd want a very clean and fast presentation with lots of impact. A dry midrange wouldn't hurt much. One of the Raytheon VT-231's has flat plates and support rods, and might fit the bill nicely. Another possibility would be something like a Sylvania 6SN7WGT or WGTA. Quick, but don't have the lush mids of some of the other 6SN7's. Come to think of it, the GE 6SN7GTA might be an interesting choice. I'm not sure how to pair these up with an output tube, and they're not tubes that I normally use, but those are where I'd start if I was going to tube a Singlepower amp specifically to play metal. An interesting combo might be something like the Raytheon in front of a pair of Tung Sol 5687's (using the Slam adapters). That should have pretty decent kick to it.

Internally, I'd suggest Sprague Orange Drop coupling caps if they're not already there. These caps are not as smooth as the Jensen paper-in-oil caps, but do have some nice kick to them, as long as you don't mind losing a bit of smoothness and microdetail (and that seems to be the objective).

Well I'm not really building the system for metal, as I don't listen to that much relative to the rest of my stuff, but when I do I want it to sound good; no permanent modifications needed.

Thanks Hirsch, I'll look around. Right now I have 3 EH tubes, 2 Sylvania VT-231's, and a Ken-Rad VT-231, but I haven't done much rolling yet.

I'm contemplating just buying an SA5000 or some grado though, as that might be the best way to get the speed and impact I'm looking for.

Would this be them?

I don't know, mine don't look anything like that. Mine have black T-shaped plates and the getter is on the bottom, taller bottle too. Reports from Audio Asylum say that there's several styles of GE 6SN7GTA's, and that they mostly sound the same, but I wouldn't know. Apparently I have the GE Canada version which is said to be the best one. BTW, my 2 pairs are actually 12SN7GTA's, same as the 6SN7 except the heater voltage & price.