Powered speakers or keep my amp

kpeezy

My original plan for intro speakers was to just get active ones like the Audioengine A5s. However, I got a good deal on some floorstanding Wharfedales from someone about an hour away and jumped on it. Sadly, when I went to pick them up, he wasn't there to give them to me. Communication error on my part most likely :mikey2:

Now that I look at my situation I'm thinking bookshelf speakers are the way to go anyways so... I'm out gas money but that's not a big deal.

The question I have now is which route to take...Should I use the integrated amp I have (NAD 320BEE) and get some <$200 bookshelf speakers or go with something like the Audioengine A5s.

Thanks in advance.

The NAD 320BEE is in great shape from the pictures and the seller gave it a 9/10. It should be at my house waiting for me by now so I'll check when I get home.

I kind of like the idea of keeping the NAD just so that I can sell my phono pre and consolidate.

The reason I'm leaning away from the Wharfedales is just because of the size of them. I could probably make it work though.

The NAD 320BEE is in great shape from the pictures and the seller gave it a 9/10. It should be at my house waiting for me by now so I'll check when I get home.

I kind of like the idea of keeping the NAD just so that I can sell my phono pre and consolidate.

does the NAD have an RIAA phono in? most new integrateds don't.

I misread it as being a vintage NAD as well.

Well, if you don't want the Wharfdales, then don't get the Wharfdales.

I got a pair of Pioneer HPM-200's, and they're pretty much too big for anything other than an entire floor (read: basement) of most houses I've been in (read: non-mansions). I'm having a hard time bringing myself to selling them, because I really want them, and now I have them. Alas, it is not meant to be.

Meh, to a point, but only because they have no bass. A lot of them still benefit from room placement.

I read somewhere that pseudo-line sources (Nearfield Acoustics' Pipedreams, upper-echelon Genesis, Infinity, etc.) are the least sensitive to placement; I don't think anything is in determinant of room size -- you need speakers that can go louder for larger rooms, period. I guess if you get speakers that can go louder to begin with -- like my Dynaudio Special 25's -- then they would work just as well in small rooms as large, but then you still have the room node issue, and there are some rooms (cubes, for example) that will always have nodes, no matter what speaker you have.

Okay, it seems like it would be a good idea to just keep them amp.

Now.. it's which speakers to get. I'm going back to Tulsa in a couple of weeks so I could still get the Wharfedale Modus 8 (??) speakers for ~$100. Or, I could get different speakers.. hopefully something smallish.

Same budget. Anything worth my time?

Update: I got the amp in today and it is in great condition. I haven't gotten to do serious listening but it definitely has some power from the headphone output. It drives my Sextetts without a problem where my CK2III even had trouble. I'll compare the two based on SQ later.

Also, I didn't think about this pro but using this amp allows me to plug all of my sources in and switch via remote / buttons. That's definitely something I was wanting to accomplish.

I've decided to keep the amp for multiple reasons so all that's left is for me to decide on speakers. If there's anything that would perform as well as those Wharfedale's (I'm okay best guesses since I don't think anyone has heard these speakers) then let me know.

I would like active speakers like the A5 I don't want to lose this amp! The headphone output is so much more powerful than my CK2III. Sextetts sound so much better now that they finally have power.

So, I think I'll just stick with getting passive bookshelf speakers but I'm going to do that after this marathon of concerts passes and I have more cash and an easier schedule.