electrostatic sound

brat

Transformers are fine if they are of good quality which most aren't. It's also wise to check the output voltage as some output way less then they should. Good to hear that the amp is playing as it should though.

Given how some of the stax amps derive the bias supply directly from the AC input it's pretty easy for me to see how line voltage could greatly impact the performance. Not sure if that's the case with the 727, but even for a non-techie it seems plausible.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given how some of the stax amps derive the bias supply directly from the AC input it's pretty easy for me to see how line voltage could greatly impact the performance. Not sure if that's the case with the 727, but even for a non-techie it seems plausible.

That's true but the difference shouldn't be all that big since Stax specs all the amps at AC +/-10%.

Transformers are fine if they are of good quality which most aren't.

I tried 3 pieces and one of them was very expensive but the awfull sound was exactly the same with all the three. Obviously there is bare correlation between money and quality :)

Thank you all for the interest!!

• 11 months later...
The SR-Lambda is one of the best headphones you can get at any price with very few flaws. The bass could be deeper, the treble more clear but the musicality is hard to deny.

Is this the SR-Lambda Pro or SR-Lambda Normal or Signature?

Transformers are fine if they are of good quality which most aren't. It's also wise to check the output voltage as some output way less then they should. Good to hear that the amp is playing as it should though.

I can get a pretty good deal on an SRM7ta, but it is 100 volt, and I live in the USA. What transformer would you recommend for the job?

Is this the SR-Lambda Pro or SR-Lambda Normal or Signature?

Is this the SR-Lambda?

The SR-Lambda is the normal bias original model.

I can get a pretty good deal on an SRM7ta, but it is 100 volt, and I live in the USA. What transformer would you recommend for the job?

I would recommended something vintage, made when overkill was the name of the game with quality connectors, over sized transformers and not every penny pinched. If that isn't an option then a 400w unit would work just fine.

There is also the option to just change the voltage on the 007tA. It might require some soldering and perhaps adding a wire or two to the primary of the transformer but it's easy enough to do.

• 1 month later...

In my latest dealings with a member from audiogon, I exchanged a few emails and he told me that he was interested in headphones, but did not know too much about them. He also said he had a pair of unused electrostats that i've never heard of.

Tannoy Micromonitor TMX1 electrostatic headphones

Does anyone know anything about these? He says they are quite old, likely from the 70s. I did not even know Tannoy made headphones. Maybe its a different company?

• 1 month later...
Guest gilency
If the newer Lambdas are anything like the SR-404 then I'd say the price of admission to get good Stax sound comes from the vintage line.

The SR-404 is just bad.

Obviously there are different tastes and different headphones. I really like the 404's.