Fluke 179?

GPH

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't like the cheap Harbor Freight jobs either. But the Mastech looks like having a couple of those might be doable. One could test them for accuracy. Wish I had a box of Fluke 189s!! One can wish! Since I'm contemplating some HV stuff, I'm eyeing my leads with suspicion. The one's I bought off ebay and MPJA have got me skeered.

What Mastech? And did anyone get their VC99 yet? If so, how are they. I could use another decent meter.

What Mastech? And did anyone get their VC99 yet? If so, how are they. I could use another decent meter.

I got mine a couple of days ago. It looks like the meter in the ad. It seems to be built well enough. I've done a few simple measurements. So far I'm happy as a clam.

Edit: Instructions aren't great but that won't affect most of you.

I got mine a couple of days ago. It looks like the meter in the ad. It seems to be built well enough. I've done a few simple measurements. So far I'm happy as a clam.

Edit: Instructions aren't great but that won't affect most of you.

Does it just look like a Fluke or does it also feel like a Fluke? How is the quality on the switch, the jacks, the feel of the case, the quality of the display, etc?

Hmmmm, I'm optimistic mine will arrive quickly then :)

It might even beat the TPA order I made over three weeks ago :palm:

Wouldn't know. I've never had the pleasure of feeling a Fluke. :D

It seems to be fine to me.

Heh, OK.

The Fluke is guaranteed to survive a 10' fall onto concrete. If you grab the case of a fluke and twist it, it will not flex, solid as a rock. It's also sealed with a serious gasket, they are somewhat difficult to change the battery on because the case fits so well and the gasket is so serious.

Any ideas how yours compares to that? If I could get 50% Fluke for that price it would be a good deal.

Heh, OK.

The Fluke is guaranteed to survive a 10' fall onto concrete. If you grab the case of a fluke and twist it, it will not flex, solid as a rock. It's also sealed with a serious gasket, they are somewhat difficult to change the battery on because the case fits so well and the gasket is so serious.

Any ideas how yours compares to that? If I could get 50% Fluke for that price it would be a good deal.

Well, I'm too lazy to check out the battery access and am not going to see if it will survive a 10' fall on concrete. The case is hard plastic with a soft plastic cover. It comes with a temperature probe and with decent probe-type leads.

How this compares to a Fluke I can't say. Maybe you should order one and tell me. ;) Otherwise you can wait for an experienced DIY guy to receive his and then get an informed report. Meanwhile, I'll go search for some clip-type leads tomorrow.

I just got my VC99 and first impressions are good. The build quality is pretty good and the screen is nice and clear. It also handled adjusting Stax bias just fine where most cheap meters overload the bias supply and thus give the wrong voltage. Looks like Marc has nothing to fear from me... :D

Mini Review of VC99

So I ordered one of the VC99s last week from a guy in California. I bought Late on Thursday and revived it today, nice!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380176463237&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It is not a Fluke. It was $29.49 + $10 shipping. It is worth the cash in my opinion. The temp input is interesting. I haven't played much with it to see how fast it is. The auto ranging is a little slow. You notice this the most when you are trying to test continuity with the spkr on. It takes a second or so to stabilize. Fluke has quicker internal processing, at 10-15x the price of course.

It doesn't have a backlight, that's a shame. The display is very large, Like a Fluke 179, very easy to read for us folks whose eyes are ancient. The hfe measurement will be fun to try.

The switch and case are not Fluke quality but are "pretty" good. It's a world better in every regard from the last $15 meter I got free with a battery. The probes are worth about $10 alone, they seem to be made pretty well.

It has a rubberized covering that is a little harder plastic than the fluke rubberized cover, the color is more orange than the Fluke yellow.

I haven't checked all it's specs in exacting detail, but I think it checked bigger caps on the cap test than MY Fluke which is an Original 87 model.

The function buttons look like Drunken Master installed them. They are all crooked. I noticed this in the pix online before I purchased it. However, they all seem to be very solid and other than cosmetically bad, there aren't any issues.

All in all, it seems worth the $29 + shipping. I would buy another.