Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Damn, I lost my cell phone last week and need a replacement and now I'm getting into this whole iPhone hype.

The thing has enough space to satisfy my MP3 and video needs on the go, it connects to wireless networks, it works great as an agenda and it's goddamn pretty. But the price tag is very high and I bet Apple will release a new version the second after I buy it. On the other hand, it could replace the Nano I'm using at the moment, so price tag would be more like 350$ which is a little bit better. I fucking hate Apple for making good, but pricey products. :rant:

Not when you're close to filling up 80gb iPod with lossy files.

what i did was create a playlist with a "sample" of whats on my classic. seriously there are songs you listen to alot more often then others so its not like you really need the entire library on your phone at any point (esp when you will most likely have the real ipod with you). i have 339 songs taking up 7.43gb of music on my iphone, most are loss less and some are lower bit rates. i still have 7 plus gb's for movies or itunes downloads i do on the fly with the phone (customers ask me for a song at the bar so i will download it if they give me the dollar).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

after some listening, i've come to the conclusion that the Touch, through the dock (where hiss doesn't seem to be present), is head and shoulders better th the previous iPods. it sounds like a $300-400 CD player, with lossless, to my ears.

I agree on this. I have an iPod Touch and, after having used most of the iPods out there, I was a bit surprised by it in that it sounded better to me than I'd typically encountered from iPods. Then I go to head-fi and they insist it's one of the worst? lol. It does have a bit of hiss; more than a bit with IEMs, but I haven't found it distracting when actually listening to music and, overall, I'm really happy with it. It is beyond slick as far as gadgets go.

Where does one acquire parts to build a dock, by the way?

there's a free service called yofrog. It's a chat room for iphone/ipod touch users...well you can set up your own rooms. It saves the conversations so you can view all entries. If you're interested, I've set up a Head-Case room....room access is by invitation.

http://yofrog.com/

Hook me up, I'm registered now under postjack. :)

• 1 month later...

I was trying to cancel my iphone account on the phone today (I get no service at home or work) and my phone died before I could finish talking to the "support" (pfft.) personel. For some reason it doesn't want to charge when connected to USB or wall USB mounts.

Anyway, after asking me why I wanted to quit, I mentioned I get bad reception, and that "I can no longer pay for it". She offered me a $30 per month contract with less features (no mobile to mobile, and something else). I am on a $70 per month plan right now. I verified that the terminatin fee would still apply, since it would necessitate terminating my original contract. So that would be ~ $170.

I am probably going to cancel altogether still, but you guys with phones should pay the termination fee and rejoin under the cheaper plan. Just FYI.

Anyway, after asking me why I wanted to quit, I mentioned I get bad reception, and that "I can no longer pay for it". She offered me a $30 per month contract with less features (no mobile to mobile, and something else). I am on a $70 per month plan right now. I verified that the terminatin fee would still apply, since it would necessitate terminating my original contract. So that would be ~ $170.

I think they'd get a lot more customers if they offered a lower plan upfront. Heck, I'd think about it if it still offered the web access.

I believe there was some texting available, but yes, the unlimited data was almost certainly not included. That is actually the best feature of the iphone, as far as I'm concerned. I looked at the data prices for other phones and its insane.

If I can get the blasted thing to charge more, I'll try again tomorrow and get more details on this plan. There was something else she offered, that was $20 a month, iirc, but it offered basically nothing at all.

I should note that I got the iphone back in July (or was it June?), so the basic rates may have changed since then. My plan was the "$60" plan, which after taxes and other various bullshit always ends up being almost exactly $70.

Whatever plans are available, factor an additional $10 onto for bullshit charges. Not that other phones dont do the same thing, of course.

• 4 weeks later...