Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

I hope it's easier to deal with than Signal or iPeng. While I've used both and they have their merits, I'm not keen on the playlist approach....I just want to be able to browse and select songs/artists/albums the same way I do in iTunes. While Signal works well, I'm not keen on the playlist approach.

i can't be bothered to convert 1.5 TB of FLAC to Apple Lossless, so unless a good FLAC plug in for iTunes comes out, i shant be using this. now, if someone comes out with a Cog remote...

Oh god, you have no idea how badly I want that to happen. It would be the end of compatibility issues for me. I wouldn't have to worry about what player to use with what library/hard drive anymore. But they cant put DRM into flac, so they probably wont do it :palm:

i can't be bothered to convert 1.5 TB of FLAC to Apple Lossless, so unless a good FLAC plug in for iTunes comes out, i shant be using this. now, if someone comes out with a Cog remote...

Get rid of using Flac and any Lossless type all together, start using the mentioned 128 compressor people have talked about before.

1.5tb will take awhile but the payoff is well worth it in the end, small, universal, and a sound quality not to be messed with.

I had to redo my entire collection of 4,500+ lossless in two weeks flat for my business (had no choice between formats..only mp3), it got done but needless to say i didn't leave the house much. the major time killer is tagging all the tracks out...

hope you at least tried the compressor mentioned and compared the two formats, if not then do it when you get a chance. it killed apple lossless head to head everytime on every set i tried,,,and that was a lot of listening!

This billy moment brought to you by:

Starbucks Coffee

When you need sleep, but your schedule just doesn't allow it, just grab a 2 gallon jug of starbucks coffee. Sure, you'll wander around babbling about things that make you look like a fool, but hey, it's better than nothing right?

I think Billy was talking about LFF's magic mp3 codec (the original codec, maybe we should call it the hybrid?) which has produced some pretty amazing results at extremely small file sizes. Of course, I don't think anyone has been able to find the codec so it's not really an option.

yes.

I know, just being an ass. You've done the hard work of ripping it all so there's no motivation to do much of anything. And I can't say that I blame you for not wanting to transcode it all either. I've been putting off re-ripping my collection for ages now, but I'll have to do it eventually. :palm:

I know, just being an ass. You've done the hard work of ripping it all so there's no motivation to do much of anything. And I can't say that I blame you for not wanting to transcode it all either. I've been putting off re-ripping my collection for ages now, but I'll have to do it eventually. :palm:

What will you re-rip to? From?

What will you re-rip to?

I want to go lossless, format TBD, which is part of what's holding me back.

From?
Uh, the original CD? Not sure what you mean here...

Basically, what I need to do is come up with a semi-automated routine so that I can pop a disc in and have it rip and code without much input from me. I'm not entirely sure that's possible though, but it's necessary given the 500 or so albums that I'd like to do.

I want to go lossless, format TBD, which is part of what's holding me back.

Uh, the original CD? Not sure what you mean here...

Sorry, I meant what format are you abandoning? FLAC, AAC MP3, APE...etc.

Basically, what I need to do is come up with a semi-automated routine so that I can pop a disc in and have it rip and code without much input from me. I'm not entirely sure that's possible though, but it's necessary given the 500 or so albums that I'd like to do.

You can do that in iTunes...just go into the preference menu; go to the Advanced menu; under importing you can set the behavior of the program when you insert a CD:

You can either:

Show CD

Start Playing CD

Ask to Import CD

Import CD

Import CD and Eject

The album gets tagged with CDDB tags automatically (although those can be wrong of course). And it always rips the CD to whatever codex you specified.

So just set up a stack of CDs and rip tunes while you browse the internet each night.... that's how I initially re-ripped my CDs as Apple Lossless.

I think Billy was talking about LFF's magic mp3 codec (the original codec, maybe we should call it the hybrid?) which has produced some pretty amazing results at extremely small file sizes. Of course, I don't think anyone has been able to find the codec so it's not really an option.

I have said codec and its great, sq wise. I still use lossless, because I want archival quality, and hard drives are plenty affordable now. I'd like to have 128bit mp3 duplicates of everything, but the codec basically loses the tagging of lossless files or waves, and adds "!!" to all the titles. It ends up taking a lot of time. I also dont feel like converting 30,000+ files :palm:.

I believe the codec was temporarily made available in 'vegas' ;)

I've recently switched from E.A.C. to dbPoweramp, because it offers all the same anal retentive security stuff, with a little more ease of use, at least when going to ALAC on a PC. It does not appear to be able to do disc images though, so I still use E.A.C. for those.

The place where you plug-in LAME in EAC should be configurable to take anything, as long as there's a way to do it with a command line.