Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

What was kind of sad is that when I went to the ATT store and advised them of the problem, none of them thought to either see if there was an issue with the setting, suggest that it might an issue with the setting or suggest I call Apple. On the other hand, I should have known this would be the case and called Apple first.

the people who work at all of the ATT stores I've been to have been idiots. not surprised at all by your experience.

oh, and I played around with my buddies iPhone 3G yesterday and I thought the speed upgrade was well worth the upgrade from the previous gen. I'm still using the original, but will probably be upgrading.

Improved without 3G obviously.
I think the intention was same settings to same settings (I.E. probably with everything turned off). IIRC, he did both idle and with calls, but didn't do anything else that required lots of battery juice. Maybe he did browsing, I honestly don't recall, and don't feel like watching it again to find out. It's publicly available on apple, will post link later if I find it. It also 'advertised' the faster download speeds.

my wife and i have succumb to the evil apple iphone temptation -- we both took a bite yesterday. the mall had an elaborate waiting procedure, where they only allowed ten folks to wait in front of the store and housed the others offsite in something akin to purgatory. we signed our names to a list and got a number, i got 546. they were calling numbers in the low 400s when we arrived. i waited a bit and following a party over to the store front where the security guards required numbers and ids. so they really attempted to prevent any line cutting. when i got back to purgatory i started chatting with a guy, and out of the blue he offered me number 451 as he had 450 and that was his wife's number, but she left -- so i took it and within a matter of ten minutes they called our numbers then marched us over to the apple store. when the security guard approached us i told him how we got our number and he seemed a bit pissed, asking why i didn't tell him before we left... i was like you didn't ask... i guess he figured it was too late to do anything and just let us in the store. ;D

my wife did something really nice, she insisted on buying it for me as a belated b-day gift. i don't know what i did to deserve such an awesome wife that not only enjoys my audio hobby, but treats me so well.

ok, here are my initial observations about the iphone.

first my wife and i have two different LCD screens. Hers has better black on black contrast and color saturation, particularly noticeable with greens, browns and blues. my has better white on white contrast and does seem a little bit washed out, though, not one could tell unless they were comparing them side-by-side.

i have notice that some of the black plastic case edges can be ever so slightly ruff and even slight less than perfectly smooth plus this can also be the case with the sliver trim. my wife really scored as i can not find any imperfects with hers.

at&t's 3G network seems weak and unstable around Culver City, Century City, Malibu, Beverly Hills, and West Los Angeles. Though, my wife surfed the net without problem as we drove to dinner on PCH and home on Sunset. yet when i checked the bars driving around town today doing errands (more bars in more places) it rarely touched all the bars and mostly stayed around the mid point and far too often dropped down to one. messing around i have found much better reception switching off the 3G network and using edge. hopefully at&t will get its act together with their new network especially since their maps show they have great 3G coverage throughout the greater Los Angeles area.

with good reception, call quality is very good and on par with my old razor on the verizon network. the iphone is very user friendly and an absolute pleasure to use -- i hated the razor in this regard. google maps with directions and real-time traffic is incredibly cool. tonight i will put some music on the thing, but have little experience using itunes.

i got a special number to contact at&t: (866) 801-3600 as i believe it reaches the top techs and easier to get thru as well.

Now that new iPhone is out, has there been any rumors/news on possibility of new Touch soon?

There haven't been any rumors I've heard of, but Macrumors keeps track of all product releases via their buyer's guide:

Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

Unfortunately there are only two entries for the iPod Touch, the initial release and the bump in memory to 32GB.

Their buyer's guide has been very helpful in the past, coupled with reading their site before planning a purchase. On two occasions I've held off buying gear for a month or so in order to take advantage of faster processors or higher capacity iPods getting bumped down in price.

EDIT:

Nate's comment: There's also a special where a student can buy a qualifying Mac and get a free 8GB iPod Touch or a free Nano with a $200 rebate. In the past Apple used promotions like this to clear out stock before a bump/upgrade. Considering that they bumped the iPhone capacity a few months after its initial release from 4GB and 8GB to 8GB and 16GB, it's possible there will be a 16GB and 32GB iPhone 3G and 16, 32 and 64GB iPod Touches.

Just got my iphone. This is my first iphone. Only a 3 hour line at the Apple store. Smooth transition to my old att number. I have the ipod Touch so most of the features are nothing new to me. Some time when I have a few more hours free I will transfer all mu tunes over to it.

I Would take a guess they will up the anti on the Touch in Sept when they "usually" refresh their ipod line of Products. I don't see the upcoming products to be a full next Gen but instead a .5 of whats out now...in other words you will get the same looking device just with more memory or slightly different software and maybe a few different colors on the lower products like the Nano.

The Price of the Touch compared to the iPhone can not really be looked at with the iPhones Price of $199/$299 cause AT&T is fronting a big part of the real price for you. The Touch should have double the Memory of the the highest Iphone but you may not see that memory bump until Apple Releases their bigger memory iPhone (if they ever do). I couldn't guess anything else to go down with the Touch cause there just is not enough history with it out yet. the Classic is easier to say will get a bigger hard drive in Sept and the Nano will get more Colors and both most likely will get a slightly better software, maybe with a better search or something....

then again everything i said is just a guess, no actual facts...just a thought

some of the games are cool, like Aurora Feint. There's a Paypal app that allows you to send payments via your ipod Touch, but not request.

There are various free news apps, NYT is a good one so far. Enigmo is a fun game, but you have to pay for it. There's a free backgammon game that's OK.

Frankly the free lightsaber app is neat (for like 2 minutes).

I haven't tried the Pandora radio app yet.

Well there are some 800 apps in the app store right now, but if you can't think of anything else you'd like to do with your Touch, then perhaps 1.1.4 will be good enough for now....2.0 is a little buggy right now, so you might want to wait for 2.1 or so if you don't care to have the latest and greatest as they say.

I've got a .Mac account (now MobileMe) so it made sense since upgrading meant push services to and from the Touch (although they are a little buggy right now too). I'm sure Apple will hash it out soon enough.

What are people using to protect their iphones? ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | iPhone, iPod Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield this invisible shield business sounds pretty sweet. Definitely getting that.

As far as drop protection goes.. Vaja Leather Products these vaja cases sound/look amazing but 85 dollars + a 45 build time kinda kills my interest.

iPhone Cases // OtterBox.com might be pretty money though 50 might still be more than I'm willing to spend.

Maybe drop protection isn't even worth it for me though.. not sure. What have peoples' experiences been?