n_maher

tkam: which apps do you speak of, I've liked a lot of the ones I'm using:

1) remote

2) AIM

3) Aurora Feint (neat little game)

4) Backgammon (although it kinda sucks)

5) Weatherbug

6) NYTimes

All of those apps seem to work fine and do what I expect them to do. Of course I've never had a smartphone or PDA other than the Touch, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I haven't had any freeze ups yet, but entering text on websites (like posting here) is doing weird things.

1) remote - ok i'll give you that one, while i don't any use for it i can certainly see why people like it.

Are weatherbug and nytimes really necessary, you can get basic weather info from the built-in weather app and it's not that hard to hit nytimes.com via safari. From what I've seen of the AIM app it looks like a half-finished app and the games don't really interest me

don't mind toddy, he hates all things apple.

says the man who loves all things apple ;).

and hey i did say the added exchange support was good

My buddy was pretty displeased the iphone doesn't support bluetooth tethering though sadly.

Agree with your buddy.

most of the apps seem to suck anyways, at least the exchange support added w/ 2.0 is pretty good

I just setup my phone for work email/contacts/calendar. Easy and works like a charm.

No iTunes problem on OS X or XP.

I am using the NY Times, AOL Radio, Pandora and Remote apps. While I can pull up the NYT in Safari, the app format is easier to read and use. The Remote is excellent. I need to change the setting on my mac mini. Everytime it goes to sleep, the remote has to reconnect to the library. AOL Radio really requires a wifi connection to get most of the stations. The Bop Jazz station is pretty good. Pandora works fine on the 3G network and is an app I like.

The tethering was one of my concerns as I used to tether my Blackjack to my notebook via bluetooth and my Blackjack II by usb. I find browsing with the iphone good enough to not care if I can tether.

i've been researching cases and these below are in the top running. does anyone have any experience or opinions on these cases especially with respect to protection and reception?

Vaja

Otterbox Defender

iSkin Revo

Marware (sport grip)

Debatable. I looked quickly on ebay and I saw 8 gb first gen iphones going from 150-250 (with bids). This phone doesn't have 3g/gps and has an annoying to use headphone jack and reputedly an inferior dac. But you also pay a bit less a month for service...

I think whether or not it is a better value is dependent on the individual in question and it certainly isn't categorically cheaper to all.

I think you can still get edge only. Plus I'm reasonably sure that they didnt force people that can't even utilize the 3g network to pay an extra monthly fee for nothing...

I'm not pro apple in the least, but uh that would be a pretty short sighted move that would kill a big chunk of good will.

I haven't seen anything that requires the old iPhone users to upgrade their plan. It's only when you buy the new iPhone...but now that you mention it, I have no idea what iTunes is going to do if you were to give it an uninitialized old gen iPhone when you go through the activation process...
My thought is for folks buying old 1st gen phones from people who upgraded. If they get stuck with a more expensive monthly plan they're really getting hosed.

i had a vaja for a pocket PC, and it was a really nice case. that was back when you had to order them direct from Argentina, though.
yes, those cases are very posh. i think my wife is set on ordering one. yet i don't know much that flap would bug me, though, i assume they'll update the 3G line with more products. did it seem to really offer good protection against asphalt drops?

Looking on the vaja site it looks like its a 45 day lead time and its pretty pricey. I think I may get the otterbox when it comes out.
i signed up for the otterbox 3G notification and called them today. 30 to 60 days is what they are tentatively quoting, but no guarantees. the otterbox looks tough -- probably the most likely to withstand drops on asphalt and from everything i've read the screen cover works fantastic, but bubbles would bug me. i guess my only other concern would be the bulk.

old iphone users, amazon is selling the otterbox defender for $30, which is ridiculously cheap.

For what it's worth, I have a Vaja case for my 5G iPod. Even after all this time (2+ years, IIRC) it's in good physical condition. I am a little disappointed with the durability of the cosmetic aspect, though. While I used my iPod a lot, I doubt I'd use it as much as people use their iPhones. And after about 6 months it started to always looks dirty. Even after cleaning it, it ends up looking grimey and dirty again very quickly. Mine is two-tone... Orange front and dark grey back, and while a lighter color like orange could be expected to look dirty fairly easy, even the grey doesn't look great anymore. Just something to keep in mind considering the price of entry.