Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Well I was on the phone with Apple customer relations discussing the merits if placing the liquid sensor on the exterior of the device when all other cell phone manufacturers (that I am aware of) place the sensor inside the phone under the battery. There stance of if anything goes wrong with the phone and the sensor is tripped all bets are off and they will not even entertain if the damage was liquid related or not is weak. There response was basically your fucked (in a polite and friendly way) and fork over another $199 so you can talk and then if you want the next gen iphone that is coming out then fork over another $299 (or so). So basically it's pay $200 to be able to hold a conversation on my cell for the next 6 weeks. F-that, Mike is hooking me up with a spare cell he has I'll use the iphone as a touch for now and search the market to see if anything else out there an provide similar functionality.

Well after 6-7 Ipods, 2 iphones, and Imac and a Mac mini I am thinking of converting over to another more robust brand.

I think we need to sick our class action lawyer on Apple. The location of the moisture sensor in the dock connector is insane and the fact that sweaty palms are enough to void your entire warranty just can't be legal. The next gen Iphone better have improved upon this.

Apple's Rules for Correctly Using Your Iphone:

#1. Do not touch your Iphone, it'll void the warranty.

#2. Do not breathe on your Iphone, it'll void the warranty.

On most phones the moisture sensor is well out of (minor) harm's way behind the removable battery. Of course, when you don't have a removable battery, you need to put it somewhere more accessible to both inspection and moisture. I'll bet money the sensors in the next model will simply be made less sensitive. And even more money that there eventually will be a CA settlement relating to this issue down the track, of which most of the users affected will neither hear nor see a thin dime. In this case, law = ass = Apple.

Well after 6-7 Ipods, 2 iphones, and Imac and a Mac mini I am thinking of converting over to another more robust brand.

LALALALALALALALA, NOT LISTENING LALALALALALALALALA

Dude, the iphone was never meant to be a home media server.

I think we need to sick our class action lawyer on Apple. The location of the moisture sensor in the dock connector is insane and the fact that sweaty palms are enough to void your entire warranty just can't be legal. The next gen Iphone better have improved upon this.

Apple's Rules for Correctly Using Your Iphone:

#1. Do not touch your Iphone, it'll void the warranty.

#2. Do not breathe on your Iphone, it'll void the warranty.

Amen. Seconded. Whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates from WWDC:

12:05 pm The keynote has concluded.

12:04 pm Phil is thanking all of the teams at Apple for their hard work.

12:04 pm All of this is just the start of WWDC -- tons of sessions and Apple employees on-hand.

12:03 pm Phil is reviewing everything announced today.

12:02 pm A robot camera thinks the iPhone is the same as before, but then the new features are briefly highlighted (mainly video capture).

12:02 pm Showing a new ad.

12:01 pm In the US, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, UK. A week later, 6 more countries. Many more to come this summer

12:01 pm The iPhone 3GS will be available on June 19th.

12:01 pm The iPhone 3G 8GB will be available for $99 today.

12:00 pm Apple wants the iPhone to be more affordable. The existing 8GB iPhone 3G will remain -- for $99.

12:00 pm Those are AT&T prices for new and qualifying customers; may vary elsewhere. Comes in black and white, as before.

11:59 am $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB.

11:59 am Ships with iPhone OS 3.0 for $199.

11:58 am Most eco-friendly iPhone yet -- arsenic-free glass, BRF-free, mercury-free LCD, etc.

11:58 am Improved battery life. Now up to 9 hours of internet surfing, 10 hours of video, 30 hours of audio, 12 hours of 2g talk-time, 5 hours of 3g talk-time.

11:57 am Instant remote wipe, encrypted iTunes backups.

11:57 am Something business have asked for -- data encryption, which iPhone 3GS supports.

11:56 am Support for Nike+

11:56 am New accessibility options -- VoiceOver for content and controls, zooming, color inversion, mono audio, etc.

11:55 am New compass app shows your orientation, integration with Maps -- if you double click, the map will reorientate itself.

11:55 am Also -- a digital compass.

11:55 am You can also ask "what's playing now?" and it will tell you. Or say "play more songs like this" and a genius playlist will be built.

11:54 am With the iPhone 3GS, you hold down the home button for a second and a voice control interface is brought up. Simply say things like "Call Scott Forstall" -- if there are more than one entries, it will ask which one you wanted (i.e. home, office, etc) -- or "play The Killers"

11:53 am There is an API for video too, which allows developers to integrate video capture into their apps. Next -- voice control.

11:52 am The videos live alongside photos in the same application. You can scrub a video and edit it too. You can share the video right from your iPhone 3GS to YouTube, MobileMe, MMS, and email.

11:51 am The camera application has a switch that lets you swap between still photo and video mode. 30FPS, VGA with audio, auto-focus, auto-white balance, auto-exposure.

11:50 am Developers can take advantage of the camera too. But the best thing is -- it also captures video.

11:50 am Also features tap-to-focus. Tap on the part of the photo you want to focus, and it automatically does so. Automatically handles exposure and white balance. Better low-light sensitivity as well. Also, auto-macro -- as close as 10cm away.

11:49 am Vastly more pictures on Flickr from iPhones than any other phone. Now featuers 3MP auto-focus camera.

11:48 am Also has amazing features -- brand new camera.

11:48 am Supports OpenGL|ES 2.0 -- great for games. Supports 7.2Mbps HSPDA.

11:47 am 2.1x faster to launch Messages, 2.4x to load SimCity, 3.6x faster to load an Excel attachment, 2.9x faster to load a large website.

11:47 am No front-facing video camera. The insides are entirely new, but the outside appears the same.

11:46 am He's now ready to tell us about a new version of the iPhone -- iPhone 3GS. S stands for speed.

11:46 am 50,000 apps on iPhone, 4,900 for Android, 1,088 for Nokia (total), Blackberry (1,030), Palm (18). He makes a joke about not being able to see the last company name (Palm).

11:45 am Reviewing how successful the iPhone has been -- iPhone makes up of 65% of all mobile web usage.

11:44 am That is iPhone OS 3.0. Phil Schiller has retaken the stage.

It's not listed above but tethering is available, except on AT&T. That was the one feature I was hoping for. I'm guessing it will be available at some point with an additional charge. I will probably pass my iphone down and pick the 32gb for the additional speed, better camera, video, etc.

""For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB). Visit Cell Phones and cell phone plans - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular for eligibility information""

the fine print on apple.com

$700!!!! no fucking way!