Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

I'm having the same problem with my iPhone. Takes ~10 minutes to show in iTunes and be accessible. This is with manual syncing and after a clean-install of Snow Leopard.

Something happened similar with either my iPhone or previous Touch earlier. I think I had to restore to eliminate. You can backup apps, etc. first then restore, though I haven't tried it this time around yet. Rarely dock once podcasts could be downloaded straight from device.

Hmmm.... so I bring my music library to work w/ me on my portable hard drive and plug it in and tell iTunes there's a new folder.

4 hours later and it's still chewing on it.

It's a buttload of music but still, the Zune software took about 30 minutes for the same task. Just sayin.

Love my iPhone though (repeat as necessary).

• 2 weeks later...

AT&T sent me a text this morning (or late yesterday?) that MMS has finally been enabled on the iPhone. Takes a quick update via itunes but seems to work great for sending pics from the internal memory. Can't quite figure out yet how to type a message and then attach a picture, but I haven't tried very hard.

With all the issues with iPhone OS 3.1 (people with battery drain in 4-5 hours, no more tethering), I stayed with OS 3.01, hacked my carrier file to ATT_US.ipcc v5.0 to add MMS, then hacked it back to do tethering. Carrier file ATT_US.ipcc v5.5 that comes with 3.1 wont allow tethering, but v5.0 allows the tethering hack and MMS with OS 3.01 (I think carrier file 5.1 wont allow the tethering hack with 3.01).

What I wrote at How to Enable MMS (picture messaging) on Your iPhone (AT&T) [uPDATED x2] | Apple iPhone School :

This appears to be working. I was running the mobileconfig file from http://www.phonetweaks.com/att_com.mobileconfig on my ATT iPhone for tethering, with OS 3.01 and carrier file ATT_US 4.0 and NO Jailbreak on my 32GB 3GS - tethering working fine via bluetooth and USB. I installed the ATT_US 5.0 using this technique and rebooted. I didn't want OS 3.1 because I might want to JB some day.

Afterwards visual voice mail was not there to configure in settings > general > network > Cellular Data Network. Also the tethering was still able to be turned on but it disappeared when I tried to use it the first time via blue tooth. However, I confirmed MMS was working by sending a photo to my VZW phone. I sent a photo back to my iPhone from the VZW phone and it took 20 minutes to arrive but at least it did show up! I then removed the phonetweaks mobileconfig profile and I could finally see the Visual Voice Mail settings, so I was able to update to acds.voicemail for it to work.

Then I went to the help.BenM.at website and installed their mobileconfig (instead of the old one) and went to turn on tethering but was told to contact the carrier. I rebooted again (maybe had to do it twice, I lost count) and tethering now works. In facy I am currently connected to the internet via tethering with USB as I type this (airport is turned off on my Macbook). I was afraid to try bluetooth tethering since that caused it to be removed last time, and I don't care about bluetooth tethering which will drain the iPhone battery too fast.

The MMS I sent from the iPhone showed up on the VZW phone quickly, but I can't explain the 20 minutes it took to receive an MMS. I will test it more later, but I don't want to overload the MMS servers or the network.

Random question - help needed...

So I believe I have the OS 3.0 which allows tethering. I like it, but honestly I don't really use it or need it; however, I would like to be able to send pictures through text message (rather than now having to send it as an email attachment through camera).

Have you guys upgraded to the newest OS and just dropped your tethering capability? I really don't want to bother having to hack multiple files like HA just to allow tethering on the new OS for iphone, and ideally I would like both MMS and tethering if its simple enough.