Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Shit, piss and corruption. Got all the way through and recboot doesn't want to seem to work. I installed, .net 4.0, it launches fine, but when I press "Exit Recovery Mode" it doesn't seem to do anything. All that is displayed on my phone is the itunes and usb cable icon and when I launch itunes it wan't to recover and update.

Wait, hold on, perhaps recboot just takes 5 minutes to do it's thing. The iphone screen just went blank, not sure what to do now...

Ugh, doesn't seem to have done anything. Turned the phone on, still get the stupid "plug me into itunes" display.

Oh joy, it gets worse. Somehow recboot or .net just killed my webcam and all the usb ports on one side of my laptop. I'm officially having a bad fucking night.

At least the iphone is now plugged into one of the two still-functioning usb ports and being restored to factory settings.

You have got to be fucking kidding me. So the phone is back up and activated but there is no option to restore data from any of my previous backups (I made sure to back up before installing 4) so my phone is now a blank slate. Not such a big deal other than losing ALL MY FUCKING CONTACTS.

don't blame jacob, jacob try help nate! try help!!

No blame towards Jacob, this is Apple's doing.

Not sure what I'll do about the hundreds of contacts that just got flushed but I'm sure with some work most can be tracked back down. I'm hopeful that an old backup of the phone at work might have some of the missing information but I'm not that hopeful.

Thankfully my computer recovered after another full restart. I have no clue what could have gotten so pissed that it stopped system services through multiple restarts without error messages but I'm just glad to have it back. One extremely poorly functioning device for one night is enough.

The phone is marginally better with this "version" of os4 loaded, but still a steaming turd. This experience might just be enough to make me an android user in the very near future.

the CardStar app is still a great idea...& it still doesn't work:rolleyes:...

tried scanning it w/o the screen protector on...no dice...first app to go...

at least i didn't make a twat of myself in front of a cute checkout girl...& i didn't hold up the line...

My wife's phone (Droid Incredible) is a significantly better phone than my 3G.

Apple's keystone is their UI, when that starts breaking because of their own bullshit I think seriously about walking. The 3G launched in July of 2008, was only replaced a year ago and was sold until what ,2 weeks ago? I don't think it's reasonable to assume that everyone has moved beyond it and that their software can cause it to turn to shit with no option for going back to software that actually works.

Fuck I need a drink. That, thankfully, is a situation that I can handle.

i would be so pissed if I lost all my contacts. i myself have been curious about iTunes seemingly arbitrary decision to create multiple backups. when I was trying to restore my phone I had my most recent one and then two from February. then it created about 3 more over a period of a few hours while I was trying to restore. weird.

anywho I got my 3GS back and everything seems peachy. restored ok. i am not installing the new software because you all scared me.

also I played with my friends droid and found it was a pretty good web browsing experience, just not as smooth as the iPhone. if the HTC Incredible has smoothed out the web browsing, I'm all for it. because honestly web browsing, email, and the calendar are the only things I give a shit about on my phone.

also I played with my friends droid and found it was a pretty good web browsing experience, just not as smooth as the iPhone. if the HTC Incredible has smoothed out the web browsing, I'm all for it. because honestly web browsing, email, and the calendar are the only things I give a shit about on my phone.
The Evo has HDMI out.

faster hardware ain't gonna fix the experience. a car that crashes when you turn a corner isn't fixed by a bigger engine.
What? Yes it does (the better hardware part, not the bigger engine part) -- do you know what a sway bar is? It's exactly that -- a hardware solution to fix a car that crashes when you turn a corner.

(ignores Monkey)

uh, no. there is a reason Porsche doesn't use sway bars. an euro anti-roll bar is not the same thing, regardless of what wikipedia might say. even if it were, which it's not, you're talking 5%.
Fine, but the generalization still holds -- there exists hardware solutions to problems. Maybe not in the extremes (Suzuki Samurai comes to mind), but certainly in the minor, such as may be the problems with the Android OS. I'm curious what you think is 'retarded' -- I haven't run across anything that qualifies yet, though I'm hardly a power user.

It turns out my wife's work email, calendar and contacts app wont work with iOS 4 (IBM Traveler app) and therefore she can't move over to the iPhone 4 right now. So we wont be picking up her reserved iPhone unless it can be activated by someone else on a different phone number (or account). My own iPhone shipped from AT&T Wednesday for 6/24 delivery.

Anyone have an idea if we can put my wife's reserved iPhone 4 on my son's number instead, knowing that it will add two years to her contract and not his? Or will Apple and AT&T insist that we first activate it on her number first, before we can move it to one of our other lines? My wife doesn't want to activate the iPhone 4 on her phone number at all, being afraid she'll be stuck with it and can't go back to her 3GS with all her contacts/calendar/email.

Once I get my iPhone 4 activated, if I like it I was going to pass my old 32Gb jailbroken 3GS to my son, and either sell his 8gb jailbroken 3G or keep it as a spare. If I don't like my iPhone 4 I might sell it or pass that on to my son instead. But I don't think that any of us are going to upgrade an old phone to iOS 4 until 4.01 or higher comes out. I am also assuming that I can't pick up her reserved phone and simply sell it for a profit without activating it first.